Cell phone Medallion Holders on Enchanted

mistyPA

We will be on the Enchanted in April and was reading a review which mentioned Medallion holders from Amazon, so I took a look. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the one for the cell phone? Stick on the cell phone cover. If so, was wondering if there was any interference between the phone and the medallion? You know like when your key fob is near your cell phone the car door may not open. I always have my cell phone with me for pictures and with wifi, we will be able to communicate on board, so thought this may be a good way to carry the medallion and not have to wear a watch. Of course, this depends on the reliability. I looked at reviews on Amazon, but they didn't really talk about how they worked onboard.

I saw this on our most recent cruise. It wasn't ours, I found someone's phone in the planter at the Piazza. Sure I could have just left it there and it could have been found, but since we were so close to Passenger Services, I brought it there.

So I have no idea if the idea worked, but the person did lose both. Something to weigh out.

2 hours ago, mistyPA said:

We will be on the Enchanted in April and was reading a review which mentioned Medallion holders from Amazon, so I took a look. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the one for the cell phone? 

Have never seen this...would be interested in a link.  Others might well be interested as well...

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

LOL! I don't see how that *possibly* work "for all devices"!  Too many different form factors for phones these days!

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

LOL! I don't see how that *possibly* work "for all devices"!  Too many different form factors for phones these days!

The 'form factor' that would prevent me from buying such a thing is the PRICE!! Wow... 

32 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not sure why it wouldn’t work for most devices. It appears to just be a stick-on holder that uses an adhesive to attach to the device. Not sure that I’d want to stick one on my phone though.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ar1950 said:

Not sure why it wouldn’t work for most devices. It appears to just be a stick-on holder that uses an adhesive to attach to the device. Not sure that I’d want to stick one on my phone though.

It may very well be a stick-on...but look at the camera lens cutout. That will only fit a very few phones. Many now come with 3 lenses in a triangle pattern. 

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It may very well be a stick-on...but look at the camera lens cutout. That will only fit a very few phones. Many now come with 3 lenses in a triangle pattern. 

It’s a round thing that is just a bit larger in diameter than the medallion.  Unless the whole back of the phone is covered in camera lenses I doubt that will be a problem. (I’m still not sticking one on my phone😉).

1 minute ago, ar1950 said:

It’s a round thing that is just a bit larger in diameter than the medallion.  Unless the whole back of the phone is covered in camera lenses I doubt that will be a problem. (I’m still not sticking one on my phone😉).

I'm not talking about the cutout for the medallion. Look at the picture. It has a small rectangular cutout showing space for 2 camera lenses. This WILL NOT work for any of the newer phones that have 3 lenses. 

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm not talking about the cutout for the medallion. Look at the picture. It has a small rectangular cutout showing space for 2 camera lenses. This WILL NOT work for any of the newer phones that have 3 lenses. 

Look closer. It is only a round holder not much bigger than the medallion that fits in it. It doesn’t cover the whole back of the phone or whatever device you want to stick it on.

55 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I give up...you are obviously not looking at the same link picture as me.  The "Canada" link does in fact show a cutout that will handle 3 lenses...it actually shows 3. The *second* (US) link only shows a small rectangle in the upper left corner that cannot possibly accommodate 3 lenses.

Regardless...have a great rest of your day.

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I give up...you are obviously not looking at the same link picture as me.  The "Canada" link does in fact show a cutout that will handle 3 lenses...it actually shows 3. The *second* (US) link only shows a small rectangle in the upper left corner that cannot possibly accommodate 3 lenses.

In either link it is still only a relatively small circular device.  It isn’t like a phone case.  It matters not what cameras there are as it has no “cutouts”.
 I will have a great day, thanks and you do as well.

Posted (edited)

OK...I officially have a plate of eggs on my face!  I must apologize to @ar1950 for my COMPLETE misunderstanding of the product in question.  I was looking at the initial image in the Amazon link and focusing on what is pointed to by the yellow arrow:

snap617.jpg

It wasn't until I dug deeper and came to realize that the product is ONLY the round silicone rubber object in the center of the image.  So...yes, it should work with *any* phone since you just "stick it on".  (Officially embarrassed!)

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The one I am looking at doesn't appear to interfere with the camera. I am more concerned about it not working and having to remove it. Often, if I have my phone and key fob in close proximity my car won't open when I get close to it. I have to separate the two, so I was worried that the medallion and the phone might cause the same problem and the medallion not work. That's my concern. Do you have any experience or any thoughts on functionality? I would appreciate any help. It seems convenient unless it interferes with the phone or it peels off too easily. There are other options, but I thought it would be convenient in that I always have the phone with me.

Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, mistyPA said:

The one I am looking at doesn't appear to interfere with the camera. I am more concerned about it not working and having to remove it. Often, if I have my phone and key fob in close proximity my car won't open when I get close to it. I have to separate the two, so I was worried that the medallion and the phone might cause the same problem and the medallion not work. That's my concern. Do you have any experience or any thoughts on functionality? I would appreciate any help. It seems convenient unless it interferes with the phone or it peels off too easily. There are other options, but I thought it would be convenient in that I always have the phone with me.

Any thoughts?

See my post #16.  Given that I have TOTALLY blown any credibility on this topic (😒) I don't know that I have any right to comment further!  In my opinion...I don't think it would make any difference.  I *guess* there is a slight possibility that the phone (especially some of the newer ones that are all metal) *might* serve to act as a shield...you *might* have to rotate your phone so that the medallion is facing your cabin door panel if it does not work normally when you approach your door for it to open.

14 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

... I am more concerned about it not working and having to remove it. .. I always have the phone with me.

Any thoughts?

Not sure about the removal question and I have no person experience with using the device but did note that the one review about the device (if you can have any faith in Amazon reviews 😏) said it worked great on their cruise.  

3 hours ago, ar1950 said:

Wouldn't work for me. I carry my phone in my front pocket. The thing would snag and likely get ripped off. Interesting idea though and may work fine for some others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I simply copied the first Amazon links that showed a Medallion holder for a cell phone. Amazon had LOTS of other options.