"Review" of Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port - I picked the wrong hotel

Z'Loth

Here is my very subjective review of the Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port. Your mileage will vary.

Just some perspective... this is my first cruise since September, 2018, and a solo one at that. I prefer to arrive a day or so prior to the cruise to explore the area. I also prefer NOT to rent a car and instead utilize public transit. I also make it a point to avoid chain restaurants that I can easily visit at home, and especially target local restaurants. 

As a hotel for arriving the day before a cruise, it's decent. Besides a in-hotel restaurant, there is also a Panda Express, Burger King, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Outback Steakhouse, PDQ Chicken, and Chipotle. (The PDQ Chicken was drive-though only at the time of my visit). However, I walked fifteen minutes south at Oakwood Blvd and had a nice meal at the Moonlite Diner-not recommended for the embarkation day of the cruise as the meal was quite filling. The hotel does have a free airport shuttle, but you are advised to call after you collect your luggage. For $20, they offer transportation from the hotel to the cruise terminal on a charter bus.

As a place to stay to explore the local area, this has shortcomings. Bus routes 6 and 16 run by the hotel, but on infrequent schedules, and often require transfers to other busses. I would have been better off finding another hotel closer to the downtown. 

During my stay from Friday, January 5th to Monday, January 8th, I experienced some challenges, including:

• After baggage collection, I called the hotel for the airport shuttle, and asked if I could be placed on hold "briefly". I sat on hold for 30 minutes before hanging up and calling again.
  • The hot tub was more like a cold tub. Because of the cold weather on Sunday, January 7th, I didn't try the pool.

My verdict: It's a nice hotel, but there are location challenges that would also apply to several other nearby hotels. 

• Thanks 1

When local transportation is important and/or you have time to do some exploring, I think it is better to stay in one of the 17th Street hotels much closer to Port Everglades (so a cheaper ride to the ship).  In addition to having a myriad of restaurants and stores within walking distance it is on the LauderGo free van route (this was formerly the cheap Sun Trolley) that goes to the beach and to Las Olas Blvd (downtown).  https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/government/departments-i-z/transportation-and-mobility/transportation-division/laudergo-mobility-services/laudergo-community-shuttle

• Like 3

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

When local transportation is important and/or you have time to do some exploring, I think it is better to stay in one of the 17th Street hotels much closer to Port Everglades (so a cheaper ride to the ship).  In addition to having a myriad of restaurants and stores within walking distance it is on the LauderGo free van route (this was formerly the cheap Sun Trolley) that goes to the beach and to Las Olas Blvd (downtown).  https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/government/departments-i-z/transportation-and-mobility/transportation-division/laudergo-mobility-services/laudergo-community-shuttle

Maybe you can help with LauderGo, it is hard to see the area if we can use it.  We used to take the free trolley or bus #40 (?) then a long walk to Tom Jenkin BBQ, 1236 South Federal Highway.  Can we take the LauderGo to go there?

I am staying at Best Western Oceanside, 1180 Sea Breeze.  I will only have free phone and WiFi use at the hotel.  Last time there, we didn’t see too many taxi going by.

It looks like the closest you could get to the restaurant is getting off the west bound beach route at the Harbor Shops then walk north to 17th and 1 block west to SE 10th Ave and cross 17th street (still heading north) until 12th and turn left and go 1 block to Federal Highway.  Note that it runs from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm on that route.  If you need a taxi to return from the restaurant, ask them to call one for you.

5 hours ago, capriccio said:
1 hour ago, capriccio said:

It looks like the closest you could get to the restaurant is getting off the west bound beach route at the Harbor Shops then walk north to 17th and 1 block west to SE 10th Ave and cross 17th street (still heading north) until 12th and turn left and go 1 block to Federal Highway.  Note that it runs from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm on that route.  If you need a taxi to return from the restaurant, ask them to call one for you.

Thanks, I will copy for information 

On 1/7/2024 at 11:07 PM, Z'Loth said:

Here is my very subjective review of the Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port. Your mileage will vary.

Just some perspective... this is my first cruise since September, 2018, and a solo one at that. I prefer to arrive a day or so prior to the cruise to explore the area. I also prefer NOT to rent a car and instead utilize public transit. I also make it a point to avoid chain restaurants that I can easily visit at home, and especially target local restaurants. 

As a hotel for arriving the day before a cruise, it's decent. Besides a in-hotel restaurant, there is also a Panda Express, Burger King, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Outback Steakhouse, PDQ Chicken, and Chipotle. (The PDQ Chicken was drive-though only at the time of my visit). However, I walked fifteen minutes south at Oakwood Blvd and had a nice meal at the Moonlite Diner-not recommended for the embarkation day of the cruise as the meal was quite filling. The hotel does have a free airport shuttle, but you are advised to call after you collect your luggage. For $20, they offer transportation from the hotel to the cruise terminal on a charter bus.

As a place to stay to explore the local area, this has shortcomings. Bus routes 6 and 16 run by the hotel, but on infrequent schedules, and often require transfers to other busses. I would have been better off finding another hotel closer to the downtown. 

During my stay from Friday, January 5th to Monday, January 8th, I experienced some challenges, including:

• After baggage collection, I called the hotel for the airport shuttle, and asked if I could be placed on hold "briefly". I sat on hold for 30 minutes before hanging up and calling again.
  • The hot tub was more like a cold tub. Because of the cold weather on Sunday, January 7th, I didn't try the pool.

My verdict: It's a nice hotel, but there are location challenges that would also apply to several other nearby hotels. 

This is good news.  I used to stay across Stirling at the former Comfort/Quality Inn so am familiar with the location but this will be my first stay at this hotel.  After too many volatile situations at the bus stops and on buses, I am on foot or ride share now but I used to take the 6 mostly, and walk to the #1 and #4 routes stops.  

23 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

The Dania area is very busy with expressways and such. We like the 17th street area north of the airport. You can walk up and down 17th St. Plenty of places to eat, and real close to the port.

The newer Dana Pointe complex is walkable with shops and restaurants