Help with direction of one way cruise

Jeeden

Looking at Rome - Athens/ Athens - Rome cruise in July (7 vs 21) 2025 with large family group. Anyone have advise on if one direction is preferable over the other? I was thinking Rome to Athens as we want to spend a couple of extra days in Rome and it seems like a bad idea to put those on the end of the trip when kids and others might be tired. Other considerations though? 21st would be closer to peak Europe holiday crowds?

Thanks

There is no real preferred direction, but your reasoning is solid for seeing Rome. There won't be any difference in crowds at that time.

Athens is a little easier to get to the airport for a flight than Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeeden said:

I was thinking Rome to Athens as we want to spend a couple of extra days in Rome and it seems like a bad idea to put those on the end of the trip when kids and others might be tired.

As Bruce said-- this comes down to your preference as there is no real advantage each way. I've been to Athens on three occasions and the overwhelming thought is each time I'm there is "it's a nice enough city but I don't need much more than a day or two here to see the major sites". The first time we booked 3 nights (for 2 whole days) and saw everything day 1 and spend day 2 by the rooftop pool at the hotel relaxing. Rome on the other hand I could spend lots of time in and not get sick of it. 

Personally I would fly into Athens for a day or so, take my cruise, and have a few days in Rome afterwards. That's a personal preference through for me-- I hate getting off a nice cruise and flying home right away. I enjoy it more when I know I have something else to look forward to after. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter.  If you do end up in Athens, try to stay overnight so you can visit the city.  It would be a shame to be there and not go up to the Parthenon, visit the Parthenon museum, walk around Plaka and have dinner there.  Stay in the center city so you can accomplish all of this easily on foot the day you arrive.

Thanks. We definitely will be staying at least overnight when we get off the ship no matter which direction. I tend to like to "front load" our vacations, but work schedules might mean we need to do the Athens to Rome itinerary 

• Like 1

I think 2 factors to consider are:  how long is your journey to Rome/Athens? and the age of the kids?

For me, it's 12-15 hrs of travelling to Europe, so I like to have a couple of days pre-cruise to get over the jet lag.  Plus Med cruises are port intensive and can be exhausting so I want to be rested up and ready to go.  

Small consideration but IIRC, you kind of gain an hour going from Athens to Rome and lose one the other direction.  I say kind of because you're typically all messed up from jetlag anyways.  😄

I concur with other posts.

Port time before the cruise is exciting, post-cruise there's a tendency to simply want to get home - that's not just me, it's human nature.

And doing it pre-cruise is a buffer against a missed connection or delayed or cancelled flight. Arriving 24 or 48 hours late means missing time in the port but not missing the cruise sailing.

Yes, IMHO Rome has far more to offer than Athens - it's where we'd spend the bulk of our time.

So if other factors mean Rome has to be the disembarkation port we'd still give Rome the extra days.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone's help. We wound up booking from Rome to Athens. 

... now for the REAL planning to begin. First up is finding lodging for a family of 5 for the few days we plan to spend in Rome before the cruise!