Sapphire and Alaska

cusematt4

Hi All,

We are planning our first ever trip to Alaska and are going with a pre-cruise Denali land tour + 7 night Southbound cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

So far, we have booked:

-Denali Tundra Tour

-Skagway Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway

-Ketchikan Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created by Captain David Lethin

We don't see anything that currently sticks our for Juneau.  We would love to see some Alaskan culture (whether that's in town, at a local restaurant, a salmon hatchery and bake) but are also open to memorable worthwhile tours.

Does anyone have any tour recommendations or to do's in Juneau?  We are a family of 4 (late 60s and early 30s).  A few we have been eyeing but are not yet sold on are:

Mendenhall Glacier, Salmon Hatchery & Salmon Bake
Local Connections: Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest Created By The Allen Family
Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest
Whale Watching & Alaska Salmon Bake

We are open to booking through Princess, but are also open to a non-Princess tour if there anything that stands out.  We'd appreciate any tour recommendations, in addition to anything to check out in town pre or post tour.

Thank you very much.

Edited by cusematt4

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

We don't see anything that currently sticks our for Juneau.  We would love to see some Alaskan culture

I would suggest the Alaska State Museum, 395 Whittier St., Juneau, Alaska.

https://museums.alaska.gov

Artifacts and exhibits on Alaska's people, history and art. It was a fascinating look back at the indigenous people and how they live. It took me about 2 hrs. to go through and cost about $10.

Whale watching! We have been on one through the ship and a private one. Hands down, the private one was our favorite. There were just 3 couples and the Captain on the boat. I think it was Harv and Marv. With a bit of research, you will find a great private company.

If you are looking at whale watching - I would look at one that spends 3 hours at Auke Bay. Many just spend 2 hours (so 3 hours total for the tour). The more time at Auke Bay, the more likely you are to see whales.

Most of the tours at the pier are just 2 hours on the boat.

18 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

We are planning our first ever trip to Alaska and are going with a pre-cruise Denali land tour + 7 night Southbound cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

So far, we have booked:

-Denali Tundra Tour

-Skagway Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway

-Ketchikan Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created by Captain David Lethin

We don't see anything that currently sticks our for Juneau.  We would love to see some Alaskan culture (whether that's in town, at a local restaurant, a salmon hatchery and bake) but are also open to memorable worthwhile tours.

Does anyone have any tour recommendations or to do's in Juneau?  We are a family of 4 (late 60s and early 30s).  A few we have been eyeing but are not yet sold on are:

Mendenhall Glacier, Salmon Hatchery & Salmon Bake
Local Connections: Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest Created By The Allen Family
Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest
Whale Watching & Alaska Salmon Bake

We are open to booking through Princess, but are also open to a non-Princess tour if there anything that stands out.  We'd appreciate any tour recommendations, in addition to anything to check out in town pre or post tour.

Thank you very much.

We have been to Alaska on Princess many times.  One of one of our most memorable excursions in Juneau was a Princess excursion where we took a 10 person canoe on Mendenhall lake to the glacier and we got to walk on the glacier.  I highly recommend it.  We are in our early 70's and were able to do this excursion with no problems.

I am glad to see that you are taking the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchikan.  One of the highlights on that tour was a cruise by an island where they fed the eagles.  There were so many flying close to the boat.  It was amazing.  I am sure you will enjoy this excursion.