Considering Booking A Cunard Cruise...What Should I know?

DCThunder

I am considering booking a Cunard sailing in Alaska in June 2024.  I've sailed a lot on Princess and Holland America and would like to experience Cunard.  I've been reading some of the threads here on Cruise Critic and have watched a video or two on Cunard sailings, but am interested in what advice or tips you Cunard veterans might be willing to pass along.

For what it's worth, I'm an American, a solo traveler, retired from a career in NGO administration, and in my early 70s.   TIA!

@DCThunder

I would just keep doing what you're doing, especially reading the many Cruise Critic threads on daily life on Cunard. Many of those who post on such threads are Cunard "regulars," some having sailed hundreds and hundreds of nights onboard the "Queens," and almost all having useful information and opinions.

I'm nowhere near as experienced with Cunard as most of these posters are (only two cruises, totaling 35 days), but as a fellow-American I can tell you that one of the things I like most is the international demographic, even on cruises beginning in U.S. ports. Unlike HAL and Princess, where the overwhelming majority of guests are American, on a typical Cunard cruise Americans are likely to be in the minority. Expect Brits to be the biggest nationality onboard, but also fairly sizable numbers of English-speaking Germans and others from the Continent, plus some Aussies and Japanese. I find the mix of nationalities to be very stimulating, especially for pre-dinner conversations over drinks.

You'll enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

@DCThunder

Since I mentioned pre-dinner drinks, let me recommend---very strongly---the Midship Bar (sometimes referred to as the Gin and Fizz Bar) on deck three of the QE (I assume you'll be on the QE if it's an Alaska cruise). My wife and I loved it so much that on our Panama Canal cruise in 2022 we went there every single night before dinner. On the final night the bartender said we'd get a gold star for perfect attendance!

Jim

4 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I am considering booking a Cunard sailing in Alaska in June 2024.  I've sailed a lot on Princess and Holland America and would like to experience Cunard.  I've been reading some of the threads here on Cruise Critic and have watched a video or two on Cunard sailings, but am interested in what advice or tips you Cunard veterans might be willing to pass along.

For what it's worth, I'm an American, a solo traveler, retired from a career in NGO administration, and in my early 70s.   TIA!

I’ll be on the June 21 sailing out of Vancouver so if you do book a trip, sign up on the Roll Call. This will be our first cruise to Alaska but have on QM2 and QE several times in both Britannia and Princess Grills levels. 
The experience onboard is indeed more British from an American perspective and dress more formal than most other lines. I encourage you to embrace the dress code and don’t just satisfy the minimum dress suggestions. 

If you have traveled on Princess and HAL like my wife and I you should like Cunard. We now have found the line we like especially if you have a problem, not that we have had many but they are unto  it pronto. The ambiance, theaters, wrap around promenade deck with deck chairs in good weather, self service laundry, officers who are willing to give you their time, guest speakers, crew, shows and very interesting fellow passengers, I could go on and on, and don't forget photos of the movie stars on the Queen Mary that  take us back to the classic movies of yesterday. Enjoy!

• Like 2

I have to disagree with @jimdee3636. I think Alaska is the exception to Americans in the minority. I've been to Alaska twice with Cunard and there were more Americans than international travelers. However, I do agree that there will be a more varied mix than on HAL. 

I am not a fan of Gin and Fizz because that's all you can get there. Despite having a variety of bitters, they couldn't make a champagne cocktail. What's up with that???? My recommendation for best bar is the Commodore Club, especially for Alaska in summer, when it will be light until late and you can enjoy the scenery while drinking your favorite cocktail. Try some of their special drinks named for past commodores. Or one of my favorite rum-based drinks, the Mary Pickford or the Honeysuckle Daiquiri.

@DCThunder, you didn't say if you've sailed to Alaska before. Cunard has their excursions posted, and some are selling out already for my July cruise. So if you do book a cruise, start looking at excursions asap. And try not to have sticker shock--Alaska is expensive.

24 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have to disagree with @jimdee3636. I think Alaska is the exception to Americans in the minority. I've been to Alaska twice with Cunard and there were more Americans than international travelers. However, I do agree that there will be a more varied mix than on HAL. 

I am not a fan of Gin and Fizz because that's all you can get there. Despite having a variety of bitters, they couldn't make a champagne cocktail. What's up with that???? My recommendation for best bar is the Commodore Club, especially for Alaska in summer, when it will be light until late and you can enjoy the scenery while drinking your favorite cocktail. Try some of their special drinks named for past commodores. Or one of my favorite rum-based drinks, the Mary Pickford or the Honeysuckle Daiquiri.

@DCThunder, you didn't say if you've sailed to Alaska before. Cunard has their excursions posted, and some are selling out already for my July cruise. So if you do book a cruise, start looking at excursions asap. And try not to have sticker shock--Alaska is expensive.

Thanks for these points. I went ahead and booked the cruise yesterday, getting a pretty good deal from the TA that also sells tires, wine, and gallons of mayonnaise.

Now I just need to get my flights to Vancouver booked.  I'm confused at how to look at flight options for Cunard Air.  When I go into My Cunard with my booking #, I don't see a place where I can put in departure dates and see flights.  Is this something that Cunard doesn't offer?  Any guidance would be appreciated.  

@3rdGenCunarderI have sailed to Alaska before (on HAL) so I'm aware that popular excursions book up early and am already looking at getting a couple booked.  I try to stay away from ship excursions, but will be looking at what the ship has to offer.

Now I just need to get my flights to Vancouver booked.  I'm confused at how to look at flight options for Cunard Air.  When I go into My Cunard with my booking #, I don't see a place where I can put in departure dates and see flights.  Is this something that Cunard doesn't offer?  Any guidance would be appreciated.  

You booked with a travel agency.

TA's can access Cunard Choice Air to add to your booking using their POLAR booking system.

1 minute ago, MCC retired said:

Now I just need to get my flights to Vancouver booked.  I'm confused at how to look at flight options for Cunard Air.  When I go into My Cunard with my booking #, I don't see a place where I can put in departure dates and see flights.  Is this something that Cunard doesn't offer?  Any guidance would be appreciated.  

You booked with a travel agency.

TA's can access Cunard Choice Air to add to your booking using their POLAR booking system.

So I need to ask my TA to add the ability to use Cunard Choice Air to my booking?

14 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

If you have traveled on Princess and HAL like my wife and I you should like Cunard. We now have found the line we like especially if you have a problem, not that we have had many but they are unto  it pronto. The ambiance, theaters, wrap around promenade deck with deck chairs in good weather, self service laundry, officers who are willing to give you their time, guest speakers, crew, shows and very interesting fellow passengers, I could go on and on, and don't forget photos of the movie stars on the Queen Mary that  take us back to the classic movies of yesterday. Enjoy!

Most important for us is the Library, last time on HAL Library also  was great!

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Or more to the point (in my experience) you'll have to have the TA do the booking for you for your air component.

Thanks.  That's what I found out yesterday.  I ended up booking directly with the airline as the price was less than through Cunard Air.

40 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Thanks.  That's what I found out yesterday.  I ended up booking directly with the airline as the price was less than through Cunard Air.

In the past, Cunard air has been less expensive than booking with the airline, but that was for transatlantic flights, so maybe they get better deals there. A few days ago, I asked for prices to Vancouver and Cunard Air was more expensive than United and Air Canada for the same flights.

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

In the past, Cunard air has been less expensive than booking with the airline, but that was for transatlantic flights, so maybe they get better deals there. A few days ago, I asked for prices to Vancouver and Cunard Air was more expensive than United and Air Canada for the same flights.

Yes , seems that Cunard Choice Air prices are most beneficial for those 1 way transatlantic fares.

You don't have to purchase the reserved flights until 45 prior to cruise.

Same-day late arrival protection

Ensure you will get to your cruise if flights are delayed or canceled on the day of travel (not available on Transatlantic Crossings).

I'm not worried about arrival protection as I always go a few days early, and if I do have to take an alternate route, travel insurance will cover the cost of changing. I don't want to wait until 45 days out because airfares in the summer are more likely to go up, not down as it gets closer to departure time. 

30 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Exactly.  Cunard offered me flights on either American or United and the cost was over $100 more than what I booked directly with American.  And on AA, I don't have to connect through ORD.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm not worried about arriv.al protection as I always go a few days early, and if I do have to take an alternate route, travel insurance will cover the cost of changing. I don't want to wait until 45 days out because airfares in the summer are more likely to go up, not down as it gets closer to departure time. 

Cunard Airfares are locked in at time of  booking. 

27 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When I book the cruise or when I book the air? I called in December, and the woman I spoke to told me to call again "in the new year." 

I believe that airline scheduled flights can only be booked 330 or less days before flight.

Edited by MCC retired

10 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

I believe that airline scheduled flights can only be booked 330 or less days before flight.

You are correct for many airlines.   I have found that some airlines (mostly international carriers) open up bookings as early as 1 year prior to flight.  

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

My question was about your comment about fares being "locked in at time of booking." If I don't buy my air when I book the cruise, often because it's too early, at what point is my airfare "locked in?"

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My question was about your comment about fares being "locked in at time of booking." If I don't buy my air when I book the cruise, often because it's too early, at what point is my airfare "locked in?"

As soon as you book the air , that will be the price .