Jost Van Dyke Escape Through CruiseExcursions.Com

NickAndJessicaInMO

Nick and Jessica...  Back to your original question about timing, and how much time on White Bay.

I finally got a good reply from Shore Excursions Group.

For our sailing...  (Princess - at Tortola until 4:00 pm)  they offer two options.

Princess only offers ONE,  7:30 am...  (ouch!!!  Painkillers for breakfast, anyone?)

This third party offers TWO options...  One early, and one at 9:15.  (another even later is available to those who could do that)

While the description mentions 4 hours. (as does Princess)

Their reply is that the duration is actually over 5 hours...  leaving quite a bit of time on the beach.

They did not seem to want to specify whether they departed by boat from the Cruise docks at Road Town, or if they did transfer over to West End, and then board the boat over to JVD.

In the end...  If I can get a later departure time, and what seems to be a lot more time on JVD... I am in!

I hate to copy the actual personal reply that I got from them, here publicly on CC.

Check out my signature, below for info.

Hope this helps!

Also,  I would throw this thought out there.

I do not know about Viking...  But, on some lines, they do not fully book excursions, and a few openings  might possibly be available upon boarding?

Good Luck!!!

And, please do report back if you do get to JVD!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Nick and Jessica...  Back to your original question about timing, and how much time on White Bay.

For our sailing...  (Princess - at Tortola until 4:00 pm)  they offer two options.

Princess only offers ONE,  7:30 am...  (ouch!!!  Painkillers for breakfast, anyone?)

This third party offers TWO options...  One early, and one at 9:15.  (another even later is available to those who could do that)

Their reply is that the duration is actually over 5 hours...  leaving quite a bit of time on the beach.

They did not seem to want to specify whether they departed by boat from the Cruise docks at Road Town, or if they did transfer over to West End, and then board the boat over to JVD.

In the end...  If I can get a later departure time, and what seems to be a lot more time on JVD... I am in!

I hate to copy the actual personal reply that I got from them, here publicly on CC.

Hope this helps!

That’s very helpful. I may reach out if you don’t mind sharing the response. I’m indifferent where they depart, just so long as the 4 hours wasn’t going to become something like 2 or 2.5 hours, you know? By the way, this is indeed different from the NCL excursion offered through the Rebel Yell power cat…I messaged them on WhatsApp and they confirmed it was not them and that 3-4 operators have adopted their excursion name (or a very similar name), thus creating confusion.

I’ve never seen an excursion through the cruise lines that actually give you more than a couple hours in White Bay (other than longer port times and the self-excursion option) so yes, please report back with more details if that is indeed a “thing”! Departure point (RT vs WE, transport type, and time on Jost and in White Bay).
Also, curious what the prices are that you are seeing for these excursions as compared to Foxy’s from CGB (if anyone contacted them?)

TIA!

Edited by blue_water
Typos

23 minutes ago, blue_water said:

I’ve never seen an excursion through the cruise lines that actually give you more than a couple hours in White Bay (other than longer port times and the self-excursion option) so yes, please report back with more details if that is indeed a “thing”! Departure point (RT vs WE, transport type, and time on Jost and in White Bay).
Also, curious what the prices are that you are seeing for these excursions as compared to Foxy’s from CGB (if anyone contacted them?)

TIA!

We will definitely report back. I think we paid like $146 per person for the excursion, plus maybe an additional $15 for protection. I did reach out to Foxys but have not heard back. Would be open to doing that as an alternative, as that was originally what I had wanted to do- perhaps tour the Callwood distillery in CGB then head to White Bay. However, while this was a popular topic some years ago, I had inquired in another thread and the answer I got was that the taxis operating in past years may not be offering the service anymore. It seems that CGB to JVD is not advertised as an option on the Foxys website, so curious where you had heard about it.  Have you done the taxi service before?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, bkrickles1 said:

Hendos has loungers and umbrellas right in front of the bar and right next to the Soggy Dollar. It's right by the water and so beautiful! 

Hey! We'll be doing this excursion too. Good info re: Hendos as a good option to Soggy Dollar. 

I may obsessively look at this video on these gray days.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Hey! We'll be doing this excursion too. Good info re: Hendos as a good option to Soggy Dollar. 

I may obsessively look at this video on these gray days.

Did you choose late or early time slot? 

We're late. 

5 hours ago, NickAndJessicaInMO said:

We will definitely report back. I think we paid like $146 per person for the excursion, plus maybe an additional $15 for protection. I did reach out to Foxys but have not heard back. Would be open to doing that as an alternative, as that was originally what I had wanted to do- perhaps tour the Callwood distillery in CGB then head to White Bay. However, while this was a popular topic some years ago, I had inquired in another thread and the answer I got was that the taxis operating in past years may not be offering the service anymore. It seems that CGB to JVD is not advertised as an option on the Foxys website, so curious where you had heard about it.  Have you done the taxi service before?

Yes we had used the water taxi between CGB and Jost in years past while staying on Tortola. The outfit was based in CGB then, they would drop us in White Bay or Great Harbor and return when and where we requested. For several years after there was no option, except for a brief period when one outfit provided it.

There have been several questions in this forum since over the years about this, and I probably answered your question…

You’re right, they do not advertise the CGB/Jost transfer option, and I never thought to ask them. I finally contacted Foxy’s and specifically asked if they provided this transfer, and that was their response. We’ve not used their transfer, but if we were going to Jost for the day we would definitely get a quote since it gives us the utmost flexibility…

12 hours ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Same.  We just don’t want to have to get out and about as early as 7 am! 

In 2020, we sailed Encore and only had the option of 7am as we were departing at 1pm from Tortola. 

It was a great excursion on the Rebel Yell and that's why my wife insisted we do it again. This time with a little more sleep. 

At the time, Hendos had the newest and nicest lounge chairs and Rebel Yell dropped us on that side of the beach. 

Despite the time, I had many painkillers! 

I can only speak to the NCL excursion but it could not have been easier. Rebel Yell took off from the pier and returned us there very simply and conveniently. Crew was friendly and with NCL's shore excursion credit, it was reasonably priced. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:14 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Hope this helps!

Hey, Painkillers for breakfast are totally acceptable-they have OJ! I washed down my breakfast burrito from Soggy Dollar with 1…2…ok 2 Painkillers and a Mango Madness! 😜

On 2/1/2024 at 4:01 PM, bkrickles1 said:

Probably 3 hours and, as I said, we booked through the cruise line. 

It's called Escape to Jost Van Dyke and it's on a catamaran called the Rebel Yell. 

On 2/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, bkrickles1 said:

Hendos has loungers and umbrellas right in front of the bar and right next to the Soggy Dollar. It's right by the water and so beautiful! 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, bkrickles1 said:

In 2020, we sailed Encore and only had the option of 7am as we were departing at 1pm from Tortola. 

It was a great excursion on the Rebel Yell and that's why my wife insisted we do it again. This time with a little more sleep. 

At the time, Hendos had the newest and nicest lounge chairs and Rebel Yell dropped us on that side of the beach. 

Despite the time, I had many painkillers! 

I can only speak to the NCL excursion but it could not have been easier. Rebel Yell took off from the pier and returned us there very simply and conveniently. Crew was friendly and with NCL's shore excursion credit, it was reasonably priced. 

Thank you for all of this information on your experience.   We will also be doing this excursion next week and it was one I was having second thoughts about.     We did pick the 7:00 a.m. option as we are really very early birds and then it leaves us time to shop at the dock.

Was there a cost for the chairs and umbrella?

4 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for all of this information on your experience.   We will also be doing this excursion next week and it was one I was having second thoughts about.     We did pick the 7:00 a.m. option as we are really very early birds and then it leaves us time to shop at the dock.

Was there a cost for the chairs and umbrella?

Zero cost but if you park yourselves in front of an establishment, like Hendos or Soggy Dollar, they expect you to do some of your drinking or eating with them. If you drink or eat, that is. 

It was one of our favorite excursions ever! 

Have fun and let us know how your trip was. 

32 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Zero cost but if you park yourselves in front of an establishment, like Hendos or Soggy Dollar, they expect you to do some of your drinking or eating with them. If you drink or eat, that is. 

It was one of our favorite excursions ever! 

Have fun and let us know how your trip was. 

I will and thank you!  

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but if you want a less busy vibe, Ivan’s Stress Free Bar is a great choice for a spot on the beach in White Bay a bit away from the more crowded Soggy $, Hendo’s and now Gertrude’s with the new rental outfit. 
Just depends on the vibe you want! 😉

Thanks again blue_water !

I am hoping and begging the others here to report back how their excursions to JVD go!!!

Especially the third party shore excursion.

Hopefully there will be some videos that will show just how much 'activity' the operations at Gertrudes will create on the water.

I just don't see White Bay as the place for jet-skis and stuff.   : (

It is indeed getting crazier with the day trippers from cruise ships, as well as the hundreds of landlubbers from STJ & STT who visit. White Bay has changed drastically in the past 20 years and has lost its old charm that many of us loved, but that is the situation everywhere! But I’m afraid $$ is still flowing into White Bay, just as in Smuggler’s Cove 🙈

But Ivan’s is a nice spot for anyone wanting that quieter vibe. We actually enjoy Foxy’s and other spots in Great Harbor. If Foxy is there he is fun. But White Bay has the beach and the party vibe…👍

Edited by blue_water

8 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

@bkrickles1 about the excursion- does the Rebel Yell leave from where the ship is docked or do we get transported across the island for a shorter ride?

For me, this is what makes the excursion through the cruiseline the way to go.

The 3rd party excursion requires you to get to the ferry, which takes you over to Jost Van Dyke and then there's a short open aired taxi ride to White Bay Beach.

I'm sure it's fine and a good alternative to NCL's excursion when it's sold out, but it's more steps than I want to take going back and forth.

When we did Escape to Jost Van Dyke in 2020, we walked off the ship (Encore), walked to the end of the pier, and the Rebel Yell catamaran was right there waiting for us.

You easily step onto the Rebel Yell with their friendly crew and captain and after a short safety/expectations talk, we took off for White Bay. I remember it taking approximately 45 minutes, but my memory is not what it used to be. Lmao!

It's a beautiful ride on a really nice catamaran and it takes you right up to the beach at White Bay.

You step down into a couple of feet of beautiful water and walk right up onto the beach.

After 3+ hours at White Bay, you do the whole thing again going back with a little rum punch!

Easy Peasy!!

I think I mentioned this already but last time we took the early time and this time we chose the 2nd time slot. 

The benefit of going in the early time slot is that virtually all of the loungers will be available in front of all the different establishments.

With the 2nd slot it might be a little harder, but I'm counting on it not being too bad.

My daughter went back there this past May and she texted me from the Soggy Dollar and I was able to see her and my nephew on the live web cam that they have.

Kind of cool for an old dad missing his daughter. Lol!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

For me, this is what makes the excursion through the cruiseline the way to go.

The 3rd party excursion requires you to get to the ferry, which takes you over to Jost Van Dyke and then there's a short open aired taxi ride to White Bay Beach.

I'm sure it's fine and a good alternative to NCL's excursion when it's sold out, but it's more steps than I want to take going back and forth.

When we did Escape to Jost Van Dyke in 2020, we walked off the ship (Encore), walked to the end of the pier, and the Rebel Yell catamaran was right there waiting for us.

You easily step onto the Rebel Yell with their friendly crew and captain and after a short safety/expectations talk, we took off for White Bay. I remember it taking approximately 45 minutes, but my memory is not what it used to be. Lmao!

It's a beautiful ride on a really nice catamaran and it takes you right up to the beach at White Bay.

You step down into a couple of feet of beautiful water and walk right up onto the beach.

After 3+ hours at White Bay, you do the whole thing again going back with a little rum punch!

Easy Peasy!!

I think I mentioned this already but last time we took the early time and this time we chose the 2nd time slot. 

The benefit of going in the early time slot is that virtually all of the loungers will be available in front of all the different establishments.

With the 2nd slot it might be a little harder, but I'm counting on it not being too bad.

My daughter went back there this past May and she texted me from the Soggy Dollar and I was able to see her and my nephew on the live web cam that they have.

Kind of cool for an old dad missing his daughter. Lol!!

I would say logistically the only difference is the catamaran versus the ferry. The ferry was right at the port in Road Town, ironically docked right next to the Rebel Yell. For a 4 hour tour, we got about 2 hours 45 minutes of beach time. All in all pretty good all things considered. I have heard others suggest you could just take the ferry but I am not sure this is true. As I recall, Smith’s did not have a ferry directly from Road Town to JVD, at least on a Sunday (perhaps because the ferry is hired out on Sundays for this private tour?) and all of the other ferry’s required us to take a 30-35 minute taxi from cruise port to another dock. Unfortunately Virgin did not have a tour available so this was the best option.

38 minutes ago, NickAndJessicaInMO said:

I would say logistically the only difference is the catamaran versus the ferry. The ferry was right at the port in Road Town, ironically docked right next to the Rebel Yell. For a 4 hour tour, we got about 2 hours 45 minutes of beach time. All in all pretty good all things considered. I have heard others suggest you could just take the ferry but I am not sure this is true. As I recall, Smith’s did not have a ferry directly from Road Town to JVD, at least on a Sunday (perhaps because the ferry is hired out on Sundays for this private tour?) and all of the other ferry’s required us to take a 30-35 minute taxi from cruise port to another dock. Unfortunately Virgin did not have a tour available so this was the best option.

Actually, the difference logistically is having to get off the ferry at Jost Van Dyke and then getting on an open air taxi and driving to the beach. A 5 - 10 minute ride. 

And then having to do that going back to the ship 🛳. 

Not a big deal, but not as seamless as the NCL excursion. 

The beach is worth it so I would happily take the ferry if it was my only choice.