Calling MSC to book VS booking online

bruce85

We have sailed MSC 4 times so far and each cruise we booked on website is ourselves. Looking at booking another for April. Is there any benefit to calling and booking vs just booking on website? I know NCL who we also sail with have cruise consultants, but never used these either.

I will tell you that the folks at MSC who answer the phones (I won't even call them reps) know LESS than a fairly educated MSC consumer does... If you want to go direct then I'd just book online.  There's too much that they can mess up. 

My opinion only, but I was online on Saturday with a rep asking about a solo cabin.  They couldn't answer if the cabin was for "ONE" guest or "SOLO" occupancy of a "regular" cabin.  Two vastly different things as there are some solo cabins that have a single "sofa" that opens into a twin bed vs a solo occupancy in an inside cabin with a normal "double" bed (two twin) configuration.  

• Like 2

Although I generally agree that folks on CC know more than the usual phone reps, the MSC concierge service (basically, an in-house travel agent), did come through for me every time that I have used them (him). 

There was a unique situation when the website was acting up (duh) and I couldn't book what I wanted. The concierge service worked perfectly for me and did just as good as I would have. I have his direct phone number and can get anything done including cruises that weren't booked by him.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:25 AM, bruce85 said:

Is there any benefit to calling and booking vs just booking on website?

If you have a straightforward booking there is absolutely no need to call. If it is more complicated - more than one cabin, different categories involved - better do it by calling. 

Edited by perakcruiser

I usually have no problem booking on line. I absolutely hate calling them. The other day, I booked a cruise , but the invoice never showed up, only the price and the booking number. I had to call for that. I got through with no wait time around 8:30 A.M., and it took about 5 minutes and I had all the information in my hands. Stephanie was awesome.

Eventually, your online account will become corrupt and you will have to call them. Both my and my wife's accounts are corrupt.  Mine has the wrong Voyager's Club number and so while it looks like I can book, it errors out when getting to the last step.  My wife's account says she is on the wrong country site.  We've had these problems for months with no help from MSC technical people (basically they just say email MSC Voyager's club).  SO my conclusion is that eventually everyone's account will become corrupts since there seems to be no attempts to resolve any technical issues.  MSC website is the worst in the cruise business.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:25 PM, bruce85 said:

We have sailed MSC 4 times so far and each cruise we booked on website is ourselves. Looking at booking another for April. Is there any benefit to calling and booking vs just booking on website? I know NCL who we also sail with have cruise consultants, but never used these either.

Only use a TA!!!!

Costs you nothing and they can deal with the many potential problems when and if they pop up.

They change your cabin

They change your dates

They change your embarkation port

They down grade you from a Yacht club cabin to a regular balcony with no reduction in fare.

They charge you more for no reason

Have had all of the above personally happen.

Steve

• Like 2