Shore excursions vs walking into town from ship?

amyhphoto

I will be new to Azamara if I book the Greece intensive cruise in June on the Journey. The ports are listed below.

I am wondering what your experince is like being in these ports.

Are shore excursions necessary for every port, or are some of these ports walkable to things to do? I would like a mixture of both.

I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for shore excursions for the trip so any information on costs would also be appreciated. 

Athens (Piraeus), Greece Embark - 6:00PM
Sun 16-Jun 2024 Paros, Greece Docked 8:00AM 5:00PM
Sun 16-Jun TO Mon 17-Jun 2024 Mykonos, Greece Tendered 8:00PM (Jun 16) 6:00PM (Jun 17)
Tue 18-Jun 2024 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Wed 19-Jun 2024 Rhodes, Greece Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Thu 20-Jun 2024 Agios Nikolaos, Crete Docked 9:00AM 6:00PM
Fri 21-Jun 2024 Santorini, Greece Tendered 8:00AM 9:00PM
Sat 22-Jun 2024 Gythion, Greece Tendered 9:00AM 6:00PM
Sun 23-Jun 2024 Argostoli, Greece Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Mon 24-Jun 2024 Corfu, Greece Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Tue 25-Jun 2024 At Sea Cruising - -
Wed 26-Jun 2024 Venice (Chioggia), Italy

I'm a 'walk around the town' kind of person. In the ports I've been to from your list, Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini are all walk around town ports. If you want to go to Oia while in Santorini, the boats right where you tender will take you there, then you can catch a bus back to Santorini once you have had a wander there (very easy). You will need a tour if you want to see Ephesus (highly recommended).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have done all but three of these ports:

•  Paros – na

•  Mykonos – we took the 10 am ferry to Delos and had time after we got back to walk around Mykonos old town on our own.

•  Ephesus – been there twice.  First time we did a private tour (with others from our Roll Call) with Dicle Gundem (diclegundem@gmail.com) – she was terrific, and I see she's still getting good reviews on trip advisor.  The second time we took a Crystal excursion called Ephesus with an Archeological Expert, which was even better because our guide had worked in the Terrace Houses.  You absolutely want a tour of Ephesus that includes the Terrace Houses.  And you absolutely don't want to waste time at a carpet shop!

•  Rhodes – We took a private tour (with another couple from our Roll Call) called Best of Rhodes and Lindos Tour DT1 (http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/best_of_rhodes_and_lindos_tour.htm) – it was terrific and covered everything I had identified.

•  Agios Nikolaos – na 

•  Santorini – if you've never been to Oia, I would take the boat from the tender dock to Ammoudi Port (which includes a bus up the cliff to Oia) – but make sure you get off the ship early because the last boat left before we got there.  Then the local bus back to Fira, and maybe visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thira, the Orthodox Cathedral, the Catholic Cathedral, and the Santozeum art gallery.  If you've already been to Oia, look for an excursion of a small boat sail around the caldera.

•  Gythion – na

•  Argostoli – we did the Azamara excursion Cephalonia’s Northern Villages (Assos, Fiskardo – with ouzo and a snack, and a photo op overlooking the famous Myrtos Beach) which we enjoyed very much.

•  Corfu – there is a HoHo bus that will take you to all around the old town and out to Prince Philip's birthplace Mon Repos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have done all but three of these ports:

•  Paros – na

•  Mykonos – we took the 10 am ferry to Delos and had time after we got back to walk around Mykonos old town on our own.

•  Ephesus – been there twice.  First time we did a private tour (with others from our Roll Call) with Dicle Gundem (diclegundem@gmail.com) – she was terrific, and I see she's still getting good reviews on trip advisor.  The second time we took a Crystal excursion called Ephesus with an Archeological Expert, which was even better because our guide had worked in the Terrace Houses.  You absolutely want a tour of Ephesus that includes the Terrace Houses.  And you absolutely don't want to waste time at a carpet shop!

•  Rhodes – We took a private tour (with another couple from our Roll Call) called Best of Rhodes and Lindos Tour DT1 (http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/best_of_rhodes_and_lindos_tour.htm) – it was terrific and covered everything I had identified.

•  Agios Nikolaos – na 

•  Santorini – if you've never been to Oia, I would take the boat from the tender dock to Ammoudi Port (which includes a bus up the cliff to Oia) – but make sure you get off the ship early because the last boat left before we got there.  Then the local bus back to Fira, and maybe visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thira, the Orthodox Cathedral, the Catholic Cathedral, and the Santozeum art gallery.  If you've already been to Oia, look for an excursion of a small boat sail around the caldera.

•  Gythion – na

•  Argostoli – we did the Azamara excursion Cephalonia’s Northern Villages (Assos, Fiskardo – with ouzo and a snack, and a photo op overlooking the famous Myrtos Beach) which we enjoyed very much.

•  Corfu – there is a HoHo bus that will take you to all around the old town and out to Prince Philip's birthplace Mon Repos.

Wow this is so kind of you to take the time to give me this advice. Thank you so much. 

• Like 1

A few thoughts to add to the good info above...

Paros is not typically a cruise stop (I think yours would be the only one the whole month).  It seems to be more of a laid-back beach vacation island.  A day at a beach, whether walking distance or using a taxi seems like the choice there.

Rhodes has a good-sized old walled city that starts right at the end of the dock.  Unless you have specific additional sights you want to see, you can probably occupy your day nicely with what is in walking distance.

Gythion is a kind of cute, laid-back, small town.  There is a variety of shops and cafes, but not a lot of local sightseeing to do.  We were happy taking a lazy day in town, but lots of people were doing bus tours up to Sparta.  

• Like 4

Ephesus first time take a guide to the historic sites (try and find one that doesn’t go to a carpet shop!). Everywhere else you are stopping I would walk myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Avios Nikolaos - very easy to walk around on your own. There’s a lovely little land train that leaves from just past where the ship docks. You can book tickets ahead of time or take your chance when you get there https://www.littletraintours.gr/agnikolaos-train-tours

Sorry, that should be Agios Nikolaos! 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Ephesus first time take a guide to the historic sites (try and find one that doesn’t go to a carpet shop!). Everywhere else you are stopping I would walk myself. 

Agree.

2 hours ago, David Hall said:

Just a general question, do you guys usually struggle to find things to do ashore - I know I do and end up just 'going for a wonder' in most ports?

Is that just me?

I always research the towns carefully & try to find something specific I want to see or do - not always possible, but often there’s a fort, a museum, a land train, a beach etc.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

A few thoughts to add to the good info above...

Paros is not typically a cruise stop (I think yours would be the only one the whole month).  It seems to be more of a laid-back beach vacation island.  A day at a beach, whether walking distance or using a taxi seems like the choice there.

Rhodes has a good-sized old walled city that starts right at the end of the dock.  Unless you have specific additional sights you want to see, you can probably occupy your day nicely with what is in walking distance.

Gythion is a kind of cute, laid-back, small town.  There is a variety of shops and cafes, but not a lot of local sightseeing to do.  We were happy taking a lazy day in town, but lots of people were doing bus tours up to Sparta.  

Excellent suggestions!

I would add that in Paros, many years ago, we were really impressed with the Byzantine Church and the walk up the hill to it.

A visit there and then you can find a beautiful beach for lounging.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I always research the towns carefully & try to find something specific I want to see or do - not always possible, but often there’s a fort, a museum, a land train, a beach etc.

You see I like this idea, but it I find it ever so time consuming and difficult to find stuff that actually interests me. Am I the only one? 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Hall said:

You see I like this idea, but it I find it ever so time consuming and difficult to find stuff that actually interests me. Am I the only one? 🤣

Start with any walking tour the ship offers but then do it yourself- look at where they visit then look at Googlemaps including View - “walk” the route yourself and identify what you can do more or less of. 
Personally I find it time very well spent not least because I can avoid ships tours athat would not work and/ or the high price. Never had a port I couldn’t find things of interest in but maybe I’m so curious I’m easily pleased! 

• Like 6

Anywhere that Rick Steves has a book, I can find interesting things to do.  And his books are arranged specifically to facilitate DIY walking tours.  The books are ubiquitous in US public libraries; I don't know about UK libraries.

However, for this itinerary Rick Steves Greece is weak on the Greek Islands.  His website suggests using Lonely Planet Greek Islands.  Both books are available at amazon.co.uk

• Like 3