heathrow to dover cruise port?

1 hour ago, dlwfarm said:

reasonably priced? 

What is your definition of this? It’s a phrase that causes some difficulty.  😀

There’s plenty of information to get you started in this thread from a year ago, though!  

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I don't want to take the city bus.   Its for 2 of us. Just looking for how to get there without spending $300.   An uber was pretty expensive when I checked. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, dlwfarm said:

I don't want to take the city bus.   Its for 2 of us. Just looking for how to get there without spending $300.   An uber was pretty expensive when I checked. Thank you.

Do you understand the difference between a coach and a city bus?

4 hours ago, dlwfarm said:

I don't want to take the city bus.   Its for 2 of us. Just looking for how to get there without spending $300.   An uber was pretty expensive when I checked.

And you do realise, don't you, that Dover is a town a long way from London and even further away from Heathrow airport? 100 miles by road, to be more precise.

No "city bus" is going to take you on that journey. And if you want a private transfer by private car, whether or not it's branded "Uber", it's going to cost you.

As an Irish friend of mine would have said, "the easiest way to get to Dover is not to start at Heathrow"

There's no direct public transport - that corner of England is London-centric, you'd need to go into central London, then out again to Dover.

Easiest is by National Express coach (which, on this route, I guess is what you're calling a city bus) to London Victoria coach station and either an easy change there to a direct Dover-bound coach, or a level 15-minute walk to Victoria train station for a direct train to Dover (Dovercourt station). 

Or if you want to splash out an extra £50, a private transfer from Heathrow to either Victoria train station or Victoria coach station - in which case the train is easier & quicker and not a lot more expensive. For these options add about £10 for a taxi from Doverourt train station or the coach stop in Pencaster Road to the cruise terminal.

But those options are more time-consuming & complicated than ..............................

travelling direct from Heathrow to Dover.

A private transfer would cost in the order of £140 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186313-Activities-c59-t182-Dover_Kent_England.html

and add nearby https://www.folkestonetaxi.com/

Taxis at the Dover end tend to offer a better and more-personal service than airport-based operators.

Or this is one of very few routes in the world where I reckon ship-sponsored transfer coaches worth considering.

It's a cheap option for a singleton, not much more expensive than a private transfer for a twosome, and led by the hand at Heathrow & delivered to the cruise terminal 

JB 🙂

Last year we cruised on Carnival out of Dover but we stayed a few days in London before the cruise.

That being said I used Blackberry cars for all my transportation because I did not wish to drag luggage on the tube from LHR to Hotel after flying all night the cost for me was worth not having the hassle of navigating the walk and ride with 3 pieces of luggage. It was nice having a driver waiting for us after the flight and then picking us up at Hotel and dropping us off right by the cruise terminal door  especially after seeing people pulling there luggage on the way to the terminal which is also a long walk from any hotels in Dover if you don't get a taxi. It was the same when when disembarked driver waiting and off to LHR once again the cost for me was worth the convenience. After dealing with the crowds at airport flying in and then being on the ship dealing once again with people and crowds it was so nice having a private car and only having to deal with each other which is hard enough sometimes lol. Lets just say it was a nice and relaxing way to travel before and after dealing with the masses . Once again I will be using Blackberry in July for our cruise out of Dover to Iceland. I know Carnival also provided a transfer from  LHR  to Dover but the cost was was almost as much as Blackberry for 2 people so I choose to do it privately instead of riding in a coach/bus. So I have to say I agree with John Bull's assessment .

Edited by AllenF

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

As an Irish friend of mine would have said, "the easiest way to get to Dover is not to start at Heathrow"

There's no direct public transport - that corner of England is London-centric, you'd need to go into central London, then out again to Dover.

Easiest is by National Express coach (which, on this route, I guess is what you're calling a city bus) to London Victoria coach station and either an easy change there to a direct Dover-bound coach, or a level 15-minute walk to Victoria train station for a direct train to Dover (Dovercourt station). 

Or if you want to splash out an extra £50, a private transfer from Heathrow to either Victoria train station or Victoria coach station - in which case the train is easier & quicker and not a lot more expensive. For these options add about £10 for a taxi from Doverourt train station or the coach stop in Pencaster Road to the cruise terminal.

But those options are more time-consuming & complicated than ..............................

travelling direct from Heathrow to Dover.

A private transfer would cost in the order of £140 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186313-Activities-c59-t182-Dover_Kent_England.html

and add nearby https://www.folkestonetaxi.com/

Taxis at the Dover end tend to offer a better and more-personal service than airport-based operators.

Or this is one of very few routes in the world where I reckon ship-sponsored transfer coaches worth considering.

It's a cheap option for a singleton, not much more expensive than a private transfer for a twosome, and led by the hand at Heathrow & delivered to the cruise terminal 

JB 🙂

JB isn’t Dovercourt station in Harwich, Essex?

24 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

JB isn’t Dovercourt station in Harwich, Essex?

Dammit.

Going by memory.🙄

Not a great idea for a lad who's well on the way to senility 😀

Dover PRIORY station

Thank you, my excessively vegetarian friend

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 1