Live from the Emerald Princess - Panama Canal - 1/22-2/6

fpsphil

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

fpsphil was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hey Everyone!

Starting up this live from thread as we embark on our 15 day Panama adventure. We booked this cruise over a year and a half ago and have been really looking forward to it for quite some time and it got enhanced a few months ago when my work announced a conference down here in Miami and a company retreat on a Carnival cruise last week. That meant not just flying out here and jumping on the ship back to LA but getting to extend and bridge the gap between that and this cruise by flying back to the Bahamas and escape the winter cold. This cruise will be amazing contrast after what we just experienced on a “fun” ship…

We are all checked in at the W Ft Lauderdale now as we wait to board on Monday. The Sky Princess was in this afternoon as we made our way from MIA and got to watch it sail out around 3:30.

Will post more later this evening. Hope you follow along on this adventure with us!

IMG_2973.jpeg

IMG_2974.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Couple of notes as we celebrate my birthday today.

1. Carnival Cruise… first one ever and it cemented everything I had come to know and believe about Carnival. Was a complete nightmare of contestant noise and just general chaos. Lines for everything, people screaming and yelling up and down the halls all hours of the day, couple face plants… yep lived up to expectations. Ship itself was nice and didn’t have any direct issues with service but the crowd onboard was just beyond rowdy being a holiday weekend… if it wasn’t for my company events and coworkers onboard we probably would have just hid in the room the entire 3 days. Couple pics down below.

2. Flight back to NAS - super super easy, you are in the air less than 30 minutes. Stayed out at SandyPort Beach Resort to avoid the chaos of Atlantis and paradise island and it was perfect. If you ever find yourself needing a quiet place and can bite the $80 cost for the flight from Miami I’d highly recommend

Caribbean Princess is in port today. Will watch it sail out later

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpeg

• Like 2

@fpsphil. Which Carnival ship were you on?  It's been my experience that a 7 day Carnival when kids are in school is a much different (more pleasant) experience than a weekend cruise when kids are out of school.   

I am looking forward to following your Emerald cruise. Thanks for making the effort to post. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coldweather said:

@fpsphil. Which Carnival ship were you on?  It's been my experience that a 7 day Carnival when kids are in school is a much different (more pleasant) experience than a weekend cruise when kids are out of school.   

I am looking forward to following your Emerald cruise. Thanks for making the effort to post. 

We were on the Conquest for a 3 day Nassau/ “fun” day at sea

• Thanks 1

We are onboard. Embarkation is was a breeze and we were through the terminal in about 10 minutes. Tons of supplies still on the dock so don’t see us leaving on time. Here is the day 1 patter.

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

• Like 1

Enjoy your cruise! We did the full transit on the Coral in January 2018. We were able to go through the old locks. Our onboard commentator and lecturer was amazing. I think he said it was like his 217th transit (maybe more). He pointed out the place where he trained for Vietnam (ugh... hot and muggy).

Even though it is January, it does not cool off until after leaving Cabo and heading north.

Sailed out about an hour and a half late. We’re rocking a bit with the heavy winds down here. Captain did say he’ll have the stabilizers out the next 2 days

IMG_3010.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

• Like 2

Only 2 formal nights?  Interesting.  I will be on this cruise next month and I was advised by previous cruisers that there were 3 formal nights on the full-transit cruise.  Good.  Less to pack!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kcl491 said:

Only 2 formal nights?  Interesting.  I will be on this cruise next month and I was advised by previous cruisers that there were 3 formal nights on the full-transit cruise.  Good.  Less to pack!

I guess the dress to impress could be implied as a formal night

Another rough and windy day. Captain came on at 10 and announced 3.5-4 meter waves and 40 knot winds. Poole are also empty as they were overflowing this morning onto the decks

image.jpg

• Thanks 1