Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Last night of course was the Super Bowl and Oceania had a very nice setup in Horizons with 3 or 4 big screens and snacks and food. I forgot my camera so didn’t take any photos. It was well attended and apparently from the cheers early on there were probably quite a few disappointed west coasters in the end. We watched the second half from the room. 

Nice to see the Chiefs win again. 

We’re in Puerto Monte today. Weather in the mid 60s and sunny. I thought it would be warmer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Been waiting in the lounge for an hour for our tour to be called. Definitely running behind today. No problem, we’re here all day. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Last night of course was the Super Bowl and Oceania had a very nice setup in Horizons with 3 or 4 big screens and snacks and food. I forgot my camera so didn’t take any photos. It was well attended and apparently from the cheers early on there were probably quite a few disappointed west coasters in the end. We watched the second half from the room. 

Nice to see the Chiefs win again. 

We’re in Puerto Monte today. Weather in the mid 60s and sunny. I thought it would be warmer. 

I seem to remember, when we visited there last year, that it got significantly warmer when we went inland to the waterfalls and the big lake. It was only cool on the ocean.

It was cloudy and cool all day in port, but inland the sun was shining and a very pleasant day.

Edited by pinotlover

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I seem to remember, when we visited there last year, that it got significantly warmer when we went inland to the waterfalls and the big lake. It was only cool on the ocean.

It was cloudy and cool all day in port, but inland the sun was shining and a very pleasant day.

Headed there right now. 

We just left Fruitillar   Lovely little German village on the lake. Biggest complaint is being on a ship tour we didn’t get to be here long enough. Would love to have a couple of beers and a snack. Once again doing your own thing would be an advantage here. Now we’re heading to another little lovely place that we probably won’t be at long enough. But it’s a beautiful sunny 😎 day. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

We just left Fruitillar   Lovely little German village on the lake. Biggest complaint is being on a ship tour we didn’t get to be here long enough. Would love to have a couple of beers and a snack. Once again doing your own thing would be an advantage here. Now we’re heading to another little lovely place that we probably won’t be at long enough. But it’s a beautiful sunny 😎 day. 

To add pic 

IMG_5987.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Just Caribbean, to Cartenga and back, 20 days, 2 cruise credits. Just building for the second free one and getting away for a bit. 

Terrific. So are you retired? 🙂

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Why we'll try to DIY at least some of the time as long as we can.

47 minutes ago, ORV said:

To add pic 

IMG_5987.jpeg

The volcano is lovely in the background. I remember it well. A group of us did a great private tour there, and we did indeed have a wonderful German style lunch in one of the villages. Very picturesque area. Indeed.

• Like 1

I seem to be getting behind, I thought I made some posts I don’t see. Must be the internet. Anyone on this itinerary needs to be prepared for sporadic internet. 

I tried the White Miso Apple HS a day or so ago. It certainly wasn’t to my liking. Most of them I like. 

Today is packing day.  Not fun. 

• Thanks 1

So today the HS was White Chocolate Lavender and was delicious, maybe my favorite. I might have some more later. I haven’t had it before. Pretty much all packed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

So today the HS was White Chocolate Lavender and was delicious, maybe my favorite. I might have some more later. I haven’t had it before. Pretty much all packed. 

All good things must come to an end! 
Safe travels.

I’m a bit disappointed that they haven’t got any new merchandise to cash in for big O  points. I literally have at least one if not two of every thing they have.  I haven’t seen anything new in 5 or 6 years. If I had any complaints this might be it. For most this isn’t even a blip, but for most Oceania regulars this is a tragedy. 😱

Ok as you see I’ve run out of real things to talk about. Maybe Shep will have a new perspective. When I get home I’ll post a few final thoughts and observations, once I get rested. 

Bottom line I’ll say for now concerning Oceania. Let’s paraphrase another great Missourian, Mark Twain and just say that concerning the reports of their demise it’s been greatly exaggerated. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ORV said:

... Let’s paraphrase another great Missourian, Mark Twain and just say that concerning the reports of their demise it’s been greatly exaggerated. 

A lovely irony there: "Samuel Langhorne Clemens, born November 30, 1835, Florida, Missouri, U.S." I didn't know there was a Florida in Missouri.

I have enjoyed your posts.  We will be on Marina on the reverse cruise next December.  The HS ice creams in general are very good.  My personal favorites are Regatta Royale, Meyer Lemon and Coffee with White Chocolate Lavender, a close fourth.  Have a safe trip home.

Joel Barry

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

A lovely irony there: "Samuel Langhorne Clemens, born November 30, 1835, Florida, Missouri, U.S." I didn't know there was a Florida in Missouri.

There is a Mexico Mo, California Mo, Texas Mo, Kansas City Mo and I’m sure many others. Not sure about IA though. 

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

There is a Mexico Mo, California Mo, Texas Mo, Kansas City Mo and I’m sure many others. Not sure about IA though. 

Iowa has a Bangor, Birmingham, Brooklyn, Cambridge, Delhi, Lisbon, Macedonia, Madrid, Moscow, Oakland, Paris, Rome, Scranton, Ventura, Waterloo, and more. But no states that I know of. I mean, our Washington is indeterminate.

One last day for ORV, one more day for me and my group of friends to embark.  

Santiago has been a very nice city to relax and prepare for our adventure. We'll be leaving for the Port of San Antonio in the morning.

Thank you again for this excellent travelog, I'll try my best to not muck it up.  image.png.ca11276a934bac0b2366bd2dce3f999d.png

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

And don't forget Indiana, PA. 

ORV - I have enjoyed your musings and I do appreciate you bringing the boat around for us. I hope we get some of the good weather you got for our trip.

• Like 1

For those that don’t like to hear about things they don’t like better not read this, but it appears updates on what’s happening around the ship seem to be a 3 or 4 time a day occurrence. This had happened my last 3 or 4 cruises. 

Apparently there are going to be new entertainers on the upcoming cruise as at least half of them are at the airport. There is a new Cd taking over. It’s a young lady from the UK, SR will have to fill you in on names. Peter will be onboard through Ushuaia then go home from there. 

Meanwhile I have another hour and a half before we can check in our bags. Who designed this system? Boarding time is 22:25, can’t check bags until 20:05, that gives us two hours and twenty minutes to check in, go through security, get to our boarding gate and maybe have time for a quick bathroom break before boarding for a 10 hour flight. Tell me where the advantage would be to pay over $500 annual fee for a credit card that gives you lounge access in this situation?  

Oh yeah, they recommend you be at the airport 3 hours early for an international flight. OK. 

Flying, the funnest part of a trip. I’m not grumbling.  Just tired. 

• Thanks 2