Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Different airports, different parts of the world are hit with specific security alerts on a regular basis. Airlines and/or airports implement differing precautions and procedures without unduly alerting or alarming passengers. Differing precautions used this week may not be in effect next week..

Edited by pinotlover

3 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Plus on Amex Platinum, $200 annual airline credit, OBC on Oceania and other lines. Last year on Silversea we got a $300 OBC, and a bottle of DomPerignon , by using the card to book. 

To us it’s worth it, and we always get enough perks for it to pay for itself, and more. It may not be for everyone, but it works for us.

Good info. I just try to make this point when this subject comes up. One should really be able to pay off their credit card every month. Their rates are insanely high. As far as Delta perks there's not much that Delta does out of Seattle so we stick with United and Star Alliance partnes.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, JoePDX said:

Meanwhile I have another hour and a half before we can check in our bags. Who designed this system?

I'm curious. Do you think that airlines should have staff available 24/7 for check in? I don't.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, JoePDX said:

Hey ORV -  Thanks for the great thread...   

When we flew out of Santiago back in 2009 it was the same routine...  So some things do stay the same.  🙄

Joe

I've never seen any airline who has staff for check in much farther out than that.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:08 PM, ORV said:

But they do have a whole new airport, but not a water fountain in the place. Only water available is to purchase in single use plastic bottles. Maybe we need to send all the environmentally conscious folks down here to give them some training. Should be a no brainer. 

So they don't have water refill stations?

3 hours ago, SophieM said:

The only other semi-interesting thing was all electronics had to be completely powered down for taxi and takeoff. That was a first for us. 

Powering down has nothing to do with your aircraft except that at 35,000' a cellphone radio (be it in a computer or an actual cellphone) will tie up a channel on every cellphone tower within 200+ miles of the aircraft.  The more sparse towers are out in the local boonies, the stricter the locals will be on pax' electronics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Different airports, different parts of the world are hit with specific security alerts on a regular basis. Airlines and/or airports implement differing precautions and procedures without unduly alerting or alarming passengers. Differing precautions used this week may not be in effect next week..

Yep.  And some precautions will not be in response to any specific threat, but rather will be invoked on a random basis simply to keep any bad guys guessing about whether such would be in place on their target date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SophieM said:

So strange, then, that they waited until to jet bridge to check for bigger liquids. 

Hypothesis:  Not all flights from the airport are headed for places with that TSA liquids limit?  

There is no way they could claim they could prevent a BadGuy2 (who can bring liquids into the secure zone) from handing the liquids off to a BadGuy1 (who is headed for TSA-land).

8 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Nope.   But look up "King Canute and the tide".   🤷‍♂️

How about I don’t.  😉 

The problem when this happens is I actually believe a lot of the information being shared is very informative and could be beneficial.  Someone has read it here and in a few months want to look at it to see if they remembered it correctly…..and my guess is the first place they are going to go looking for this information on flights, etc is in the Mumblings on Marina thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

and my guess is the first place they are going to go looking for this information on flights, etc is [not?] in the Mumblings on Marina thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Good point, but Mumblings *is* where the person who just brought up the issue is going to look, and the other person may or may not exist.

(I'm reluctant to answer in Mumblings *and* start a new thread).

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 6:32 AM, shepherd really said:

The Marina is heading into Puerto Chacabuco this morning, an overcast day but the fjords leading into the port are lovely.  

Dinner last night was in the Grand dining room, only because we couldn't find a table at the Terrace.  Anyone who says the food quality has slipped on Oceania is experiencing something I am not.  No difference between pre-covid and post covid that I can discern. 

image.png.592000e03ecc52461bb88aa1b591a481.png

Is dinner still at 6:30? I remember reading somewhere that (at least on some ships) it starts at 6 now?

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Is dinner still at 6:30? I remember reading somewhere that (at least on some ships) it starts at 6 now?

To refresh your memory, when there's a lot of pax vs specialty slots (e.g. 7-day voyages) O will start serving in the specialties at 6pm.  Otherwise, it's 6:30pm.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Hypothesis:  Not all flights from the airport are headed for places with that TSA liquids limit?  

There is no way they could claim they could prevent a BadGuy2 (who can bring liquids into the secure zone) from handing the liquids off to a BadGuy1 (who is headed for TSA-land).

Sorry, I’m not following your logic. My point was most places we’ve flown to and from outside the US restrict onboard liquid sizes. This is the only airport we’ve flown from, so far, that waits until the jet bridge to check. And, not to belabor the point about powering down devices, our announce said it was a Chilean requirement, yet ORV’s Delta flight didn’t require that. Go figure. 

2 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Sorry, I’m not following your logic. My point was most places we’ve flown to and from outside the US restrict onboard liquid sizes. This is the only airport we’ve flown from, so far, that waits until the jet bridge to check. And, not to belabor the point about powering down devices, our announce said it was a Chilean requirement, yet ORV’s Delta flight didn’t require that. Go figure. 

If the airport has flights to places that allow more liquids on board, they may feel they have to allow liquids beyond the TSA limit into the secure zone, leaving the jetway the first place they can impose the restriction.

I'll believe it's a Chilean requirement and perhaps ORV's crew decided to avoid the fuss or weren't normally on the route and missed the memo.

2 hours ago, SophieM said:

This is the only airport we’ve flown from, so far, that waits until the jet bridge to check.

For info: I've also had at gate security checks at Singapore and Dubai.

Of course in some classes of travel both SQ & EK  provide bottles of water at your seat on boarding, or anytime on request.

Edited by Tranquility Base

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Dinner has been at 6:30, I think the 6:00 is for the smaller ships on shorter itineraries to accommodate more people in the specialty restaurants.  This is a 20-day cruise, now on day 5 and we've already had two "extra" specialty restaurant dinners.

Marina is in the Pacific this morning, it's a bit rocky but we should be ducking into the Chilean fjords sometime today (unless there is an unannounced change).

image.png.4830c31e41bcb406dc2cbc2bb604f402.png

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Dinner has been at 6:30, I think the 6:00 is for the smaller ships on shorter itineraries to accommodate more people in the specialty restaurants.   

Dinner was at 6PM on the Vista during our December cruise.