Mumbling about Marina

ORV

2 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe it was not an Oceania cruise but a NCL Star cruise .....

Thank you - my mistake. I said that I might not remembered the exact cruise, but that thing did happen.

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Yesterday was truly amazing.  I don't have the bandwidth for sharing pictures beyond this one, but really, pictures can't convey how beautiful this area is.

IMG_0997.JPG

Worth the view even when explorers went in wooden ships with no heat.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Looks like we will be taking a ride to visit A-23A, currently the largest iceberg in the world.  

Tommorow is Elephant Island.  

OHhh...I hope you can get a picture of A-23A..that would be incredible!!! 

• Like 1

Looks like we will be taking a ride to visit A-23A, currently the largest iceberg in the world.  

I believe I read and article about that. How there's so much plant life on it that will be carried to other places. When you say "taking a ride" does that mean leaving the ship and going in zodiaks?

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I believe I read and article about that. How there's so much plant life on it that will be carried to other places. When you say "taking a ride" does that mean leaving the ship and going in zodiaks?

It was mentioned multiple times that Oceania doesn’t do any landings or zodiacs in Antarctica - “sail by” only. But it’s still a great cruise with a beautiful scenery. You’re trying to repeatedly emphasise that your experience was superior to the others - it’s not necessary.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, osandomir said:

It was mentioned multiple times that Oceania doesn’t do any landings or zodiacs in Antarctica - “sail by” only. But it’s still a great cruise with a beautiful scenery.

This is what it looks like if you land on Elephant Island. Few do.

Elephant Island 012.JPG

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Really excited for you! We were on the cruise just before yours. We weren’t able to have a sighting, but the cruise before ours did, too. Must admit I’m just a wee bit jealous, too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SophieM said:

In the swimming pool, clo. 

Really????? LOL. So not like this? If I already posted this, please excuse. It showed up as still waiting.

sillymen.jpg

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

Great. But it’s also a lot more to see sailing in the Antarctica.

Very true. We did see lots more during time there. Just trying to show Elephant Island since that was mentioned. Usually the seas are too rough and haze too thick to to even see it 

1 hour ago, clo said:

Really????? LOL. So not like this? If I already posted this, please excuse. It showed up as still waiting.

sillymen.jpg

Yes, you posted it just yesterday. It’s easy to check by looking back.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Howellmc said:

It really was unfathomable. When the on-board oceanographer estimated that A23-A was 750 times bigger than the huge one we went around yesterday, that just blew my mind.

Greetings

It is over 1,500 square miles of ice. That's about 3 times the size of Manhattan.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howellmc said:

It really was unfathomable. When the on-board oceanographer estimated that A23-A was 750 times bigger than the huge one we went around yesterday, that just blew my mind.

Ask them about the Ross Ice Shelf.   Bigger than California (but not Texas 😉).

• Haha 1

I forgot to mention today was (not Sunday) brunch in the Grand Dining room.  Some of the folks appeared to have not seen food for weeks, judging by the way they attacked the spread.  

It was not bad.  Tonight is an extra reservation in Polo Grill.  

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Heading for Elephant Island.  If there are no actual elephants to see this will be my last Oceania cruise (sarcasm font needed).

image.png.92ba30bb008b172cb0e8656da5b31373.png

Pssst!  I might decide earlier, but I'd never say "this is my last cruise" until my feet were safely back on dry land.  🛟  

Some of the folks appeared to have not seen food for weeks, judging by the way they attacked the spread.  

I tend to avoid buffets like the plague but I might give O a peek. Maybe.