Arcadia in the Panama Canal today

dmwnc1959

8 hours ago, pennib said:

Happy memories of us doing this trip in early 2008 on the Arcadia.

Ditto, 2010 on Oceana. Definitely a crossed off the bucket list item🙂

• Like 2

Ah this time last year for me. Loved all the people waving on the canal side as we passed the final lock into the pacific. A wonderful day but I missed seeing the crocodiles in the lakes. Suppose I must go again then at some stage

• Like 2

A few cruises I have looked at that involve a transit of the Panama Canal seem to indicate that a Yellow Fever vaccination is required. 

Can anyone confirm this? Is it dependant on Cruise Line or other factors?

Thanks 

We were there four years ago this month on an excursion from Colon. We had to have a Yellow Fever vaccination for that cruise, as we also visited Puerto Limon, Costa Rica and Cartagena, Columbia in addition to the Caribbean islands. 

IMG_4834.thumb.jpeg.b6d79e52e4dc73ea0eec7f0230c4940d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cumbrian1 said:

A few cruises I have looked at that involve a transit of the Panama Canal seem to indicate that a Yellow Fever vaccination is required. 

Thanks 

You have to check the ports you are due to stop at. For Panama itself you don’t need a yellow fever jab certification. We went in October (not P&O) and stopped at US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia and Panama and no certificate needed.

Edited by Flannel1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Cumbrian1 said:

Thanks 

We too have transited the Panama Canal some years ago on P&O without requiring any yellow fever certificate. However for Colon (Panama) yellow fever vaccination is recommended whereas not for a canal transit. If a ship docks in Colon P&O appears to require you to have a YF certificate.

As has already been mentioned it also depends on where else the ship goes. We were surprised that there was no mandatory requirement for YF vaccination to go up the Amazon but a lot of Caribbean islands require a YF certificate if “arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission” and Brazil was classed a one of them.

Of course requirements can change.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

We too have transited the Panama Canal some years ago on P&O without requiring any yellow fever certificate. However for Colon (Panama) yellow fever vaccination is recommended whereas not for a canal transit. If a ship docks in Colon P&O appears to require you to have a YF certificate.

As has already been mentioned it also depends on where else the ship goes. We were surprised that there was no mandatory requirement for YF vaccination to go up the Amazon but a lot of Caribbean islands require a YF certificate if “arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission” and Brazil was classed a one of them.

Of course requirements can change.

That is interesting. Thanks on the Colon point. We stopped at Panama City and not Colon, although in doing our excursion from there we went to the Atlantic Locks by Colon. So I suppose the advice is then to check Country requirements, the Ship/line requirements (and finally port requirements…?.) I did know that some CIs require it though and it may also be dependant on where you have come from as well! Easy Peasy!? Thank goodness then we were OK, but clear that for the future I need to do more homework!

Thank you very much for your post @dmwnc1959, the Panama canal is on my bucket list, but I am such a scary cat  I need to work up the courage to do such things, and your post helps.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GOQ said:

Thank you very much for your post @dmwnc1959, the Panama canal is on my bucket list, but I am such a scary cat  I need to work up the courage to do such things, and your post helps.

Thanks

Don’t wait until it’s too late - I’ll be 65 years old when it’s my turn to transit the Panama Canal and finally get to cross this off of my Bucket List. Here’s hoping I’m still in good health when that time comes. 😎

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 1:18 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

Don’t wait until it’s too late - I’ll be 65 years old when it’s my turn to transit the Panama Canal and finally get to cross this off of my Bucket List. Here’s hoping I’m still in good health when that time comes. 😎

You too, at least you are doing stuff.

My little brother died aged 55, my wife at 60 and my father aged 69, I am now in my early seventies and my old body now hurts quite a lot, so I had better just get on with doing some  adventure. 😵 

On my list are:

Panama Canal.

Suez Canal (if it's safe).

And Australia. 

Good luck

Paul

Edited by GOQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess if you are interested in the mechanics of locks etc. the Panama canal would be interesting, but for more scenic interest nearer to home I would choose the Kiev canal and the Corinth canal - both for smaller ships, especially Corinth,  and for a  spectacular Norwegian journey the Troll fjord, only done by smaller,  usually the 'luxury' lines.  But to me scenery beats mechanics of course!  The trip up the Seine to Rouen is very pretty - I know Fred does it sometimes but possibly not P and O.

However, a trip down under beats almost everything, if you can stand the flights.  Just do it, as soon as possible!

13 hours ago, lincslady said:

I guess if you are interested in the mechanics of locks etc. the Panama canal would be interesting, but for more scenic interest nearer to home I would choose the Kiev canal and the Corinth canal - both for smaller ships, especially Corinth,  and for a  spectacular Norwegian journey the Troll fjord, only done by smaller,  usually the 'luxury' lines.  But to me scenery beats mechanics of course!  The trip up the Seine to Rouen is very pretty - I know Fred does it sometimes but possibly not P and O.

However, a trip down under beats almost everything, if you can stand the flights.  Just do it, as soon as possible!

Hopefully "Kiev canal" should be "Kiel canal"! Ukraine isn't really a holiday destination ATM. 🙂

42 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Hopefully "Kiev canal" should be "Kiel canal"! Ukraine isn't really a holiday destination ATM. 🙂

But P&O used to visit Odessa before Mr Putin started to get up on his hind legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jh1809 said:

Yes, of course!  Apologies.  And Odessa was a lovely port - sadly, in the old days, not now.