Leaving Labadee to see country?

Years ago, there was talk on the boards of that RC was trying to research if they could run organized tours into mainland Haiti.  And I'm one of those insane travelers who would have considered it. Sadly,   it is currently too dangerous to consider.  

When I first sailed to Roatan nearly 20 years ago, the port felt quite dangerous.  We'd booked a private tour, and they told us exactly where to walk to meet them.  They told us people would pretend to be them, and to never give our name to potential tour operators.  When we met them, they would read names to us until they found ours, and then we could get in the car but to never get in a vehicle until the person could give us our name.  And on that first visit it felt a bit scary waking through the port to meet our tour operator.

But  Roatan opened a new port, sent a lot of security into the tourist areas and on our last visit felt much safer.  We booked with the same tour operator and just received standard (non terrifying instructions) telling us where to meet them.

The tourist parts of Cartagena were also very safe, something that was utterly unfathomable when I was a child in the 1980s.  

Give Haiti some time and hopefully things will become safer, but for now either stay on the ship or the beach.

I'm not much of a beach person, and I travel for the ports.  I wasn't thrilled about going to Labadee either, but it was a beautiful beach.  There are free beach loungers and free food.  You don't have to spend anything.  Or you can stay on the ship.  But the government of Haiti has enough problems without having to track down whoever kidnaps American tourists wandering their streets.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I've been to the real Haiti several times, include Cap-Haitien. You don't really want to go, and you really really don't want to go in 2024. I'm an extremely comfortable "extreme traveler" who has been to several of the sketchiest countries in the world (including Somalia, Niger, Libya, CAR) and Haiti is pretty much right up there with those, at least right now. Even as someone who...blends in...a bit more than most people on this website, I still plan to avoid Haiti for the foreseeable future unless someone pays me a lot of money (and good security) to do some work in. 

Our son is a Border Patrol Agent in Arizona. Just last week he caught a group of 15 Haitians crossing the border. They all claimed it was now overrun with gangs to the point of no one is safe. They all listed Brooklyn as their place to be sent to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

They all listed Brooklyn as their place to be sent to. 

Almost like Brooklyn has a very large Haitian community where they probably already have friends, family, or at least a support system to make their lives better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Almost like Brooklyn has a very large Haitian community where they probably already have friends, family, or at least a support system to make their lives better. 

The Haitian community in Brooklyn has increased greatly over the past 20 years.There are likely more Haitians than any other ethnic group there.