Cruises for 2 adults & 3 children

JrHeg

So we’re looking to book a cruise for this year and im just trying to figure out what cruise line and more specifically what ships have cabins that would hold 2 adults, an 8yr old, 7yr old and an 18month old. I’d like to avoid suites, for the obvious expense reasons. Any help would be massively appreciated. 

Since your kids are young, booking neighboring cabins isn't going to work like it would with older and upper-age teens. I think this is a great opportunity to find and use a travel agent.

I did a little sleuthing for you and found this article that may help: Best Family-Friendly Cruise Ship Cabins (cruisecritic.com)

• Thanks 1

Carnival’s Dream class and newer have deluxe OV cabins that have the main bed for 2, two upper bunks and a sleeper couch.  They also have a split bath: two showers, two sinks, one toilet. One shower has a small tub.  EM

• Thanks 1

RCCL has family staterooms that hold up to six and are standard category staterooms, not suites. They work well, and in our experience have the standard queen bed arrangement with a "bunk room" that (in our case) had an upper and lower single bed, and a double bed couch. Plenty of closet and storage spaces. There is only one bathroom, but the size of the stateroom is generous and well arranged.  You would have to work directly through a TA or RCCL to confirm availability with ship class and to book these as they cannot be booked directly on line.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

I would also add that RCCL's primary demographics is families, and their on board activities and different venues are oriented towards families and children, so there would be plenty to do on board to "entertain" your kids.  The children's club program is very good and would keep (at least your older two - the program starts at age 3) very busy and active, and they also offer a baby sitting service.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Since your kids are young, booking neighboring cabins isn't going to work like it would with older and upper-age teens. I think this is a great opportunity to find and use a travel agent.

I did a little sleuthing for you and found this article that may help: Best Family-Friendly Cruise Ship Cabins (cruisecritic.com)

We’ve always booked connecting balconies with our 5 kids, just leave the connecting door open, it’s like having a 2 cabin suite with 2 bathrooms.

8 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I would disagree with this.

Having two connecting cabins should be an excellent way to have space for a family with 2 adults and 3 children. (This isn't more expensive than 2 cabins without that interior connecting door.)

Just keep the door between them open if you wish.

And perhaps bring a bell or such to put on the inside of the exit door to the children's room (the one out to the hallway), so you'll hear if they try to open it.

[I did this when taking a couple of very young children backpacking.  I tied a bell to the zipper on the front and back of their little pup tent, which was right next to our (the parents') pup tent.  One problem we had that you wouldn't have is that many times when one of the little ones just turned over, a bell announced each move...]

If you get ocean view (not balcony) cabins or even interior cabins, that would be the least expensive.

Just make SURE that you have "interior CONNECTING cabins", and not just "adjacent" cabins.  There are plenty of cabins that are "next to each other" but don't have an interior connecting door.

(Double check the deck plan when you get the cabin numbers to make sure the interior door is indicated.  Better yet, get the deck plan, and either request your cabins, or have the deck plan open when the agent tells you the cabin numbers, and say yes or NO at that time to make sure you get the right types.)

You'll probably need to list the occupants of each cabin with one of the adults.

However, a good travel agent may be able to have it listed the way you'll use it.  But that doesn't matter; the cruise ship doesn't do bed checks. 🙂

Having the second cabin would also allow you to have the lights out for the children, while your lights are on so that you could read.

You'll also have two bathrooms that way.

Enjoy!

GC