Thoughts on an uncovered Grand class balcony

greenbeanie

Thinking about a mini suite on Grand Princess.  LA to Hawaii on December 3, 2024, 16 days.  As I understand Grand class ships have uncovered mini's.  Specifically on Grand Princess mini's are on two decks:  Emerald (8) and Dolphin (9).

Emerald mini's have covered balconies - and are sold out on this sailing with no wait list any longer available.

Thus, only option is Dolphin mini's - which are all uncovered balconies.

I can think of some pros and some cons - I'd welcome any pro and con ideas from the community.  

The LA to Hawaii run can be cold and rough, especially in December. We did this cruise for several years out of LA at Christmas time, and the weather crossing the Pacific was fairly cold and windy up until you got close to Hawaiian waters. On a couple of trips it was downright nasty. This can be challenging even in a covered and more protected balcony, but would likely make a completely open balcony less than usable in inhospitable conditions. Once you get to your port days in Hawaii, it will likely be more pleasant. So, if you are ok with potentially getting minimal use on most of the sea days, it would probably be fine. Pro would be that they are bigger and would probably be really nice while cruising among the islands, especially if you want to try a Balcony dinner or breakfast.

Uncovered balcony Pros:  

Unobstructed view of the stars and sky

Uncovered balcony cons:  

rough waters may mean you have unwanted ‘stuff’ on your balcony from above

in case of rain, you really can’t enjoy your balcony 

My first choice for a balcony is always at least partially covered. I get plenty of sunshine when I'm out and about on a cruise, so kicking back in the shade is nice. If it's raining, I like to sit out and watch the rain. If it's cold, you're partly protected, and if it's very hot then you're also partly or completed protected. Personal preference. 

Perhaps try something different. For that particular itinerary on that particular ship, my unwavering pick would be to pay the $8/day (way cheaper than reserve collection) upgrade from a mini to a one of their window suites. Not even close, though I recognize others may see things differently. Enjoy the space, enjoy the view and if you must sniff the sea air, walk one deck up. I had a nice covered balcony on a Pacific crossing, but I doubt I spent two hours on it.

We just had two weeks on a dolphin mini suite around NZ.  It rained and our cabin carpet was soaked. Took 3 days to dry with a blower.  Very good when the weather was fine and we stood out there in puffer jackets when it was raining through the fiords.

My priority is the cabin size and layout, not the balcony. Cover is very very secondary. If you are worried about people looking down at you place that into the back of your mind. It really does not happen. To look down from deck 10 you have to actually stand at the rail and look over. If you are concerned about cover from the sun well don't concern yourself. Balconies are either sunny or shady depending on the direction of the ship and the position of the sun. The cover has very little to do with it. If you are concerned about rain, don't be. You are not using your balcony during rain. In December expect cool weather for the first two to three days going and the last day sailing north from Mexico. Not really balcony weather. If you want Reserve Class then you must book a Reserve Class mini suite which are all on deck 9.

34 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Get a deluxe on Caribe deck. You'll have an oversize balcony half covered, half open.

FYI. On the Grand Princess, the poster's ship, most side cabins on deck 10, caribe deck, are standard balcony category cabins categories B1, BF & BD. The interiors are the same as balcony cat. cabins on any deck. Yes, the balconies for all side cabins on deck 10 are 9ft deep half covered. Standard balcony cabins do not have any interior sofas, just a desk chair. B1 cabins are called 'premium'. This only refers to the location on the ship, closer to mid ship. The word has nothing to do with the interiors. There is no such category labeled deluxe on the Grand Princess.

There are also 12 mid ship full suites on deck 10.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, skynight said:

FYI. On the Grand Princess, the poster's ship, most side cabins on deck 10, caribe deck, are standard balcony category cabins categories B1, BF & BD. The interiors are the same as balcony cat. cabins on any deck. Yes, the balconies for all side cabins on deck 10 are 9ft deep half covered. Standard balcony cabins do not have any interior sofas, just a desk chair. B1 cabins are called 'premium'. This only refers to the location on the ship, closer to mid ship. The word has nothing to do with the interiors. There is no such category labeled deluxe on the Grand Princess.

There are also 12 mid ship full suites on deck 10.

Meant to say Premium - we've had premium several times on Caribe deck... 

The subject of this is thread is post is:

Thoughts on an uncovered Grand class balcony

Since I can't edit my post, here you go:

Get a PREMIUM on Caribe deck. You'll have an oversize balcony half covered, half open.

Edited by startedwithamouse

I've allowed myself to acknowledge that our comfort - a comfy-for-both-of-us cabin - are first priority, balcony second.  Especially as several noted, and I'd expected, much of the trip to and from the islands isn't balcony weather.  It's a stormy time of year in that part of the Pacific.

Currently booked in a balcony cabin on deck 10. Unfortunately there are no deluxe balconies on Grand, just premium which is a regular balcony located midships. Too bad Princess doesn't have a couch until the mini-suite level, or on some ships Deluxe balcony.

I'll upgrade - considering the balcony door to be a window, the balcony a bonus for the days in Hawaii weather permitting.  For 16 days, would prefer, and feel like I'd get value from, the mini suite.  

Appreciate your thoughts! (And for helping me feel OK with prioritizing cabin size/layout.)