Closed cove balconies?

Good morning everyone. I was upgraded to a cove balcony for my May cruise. (Venezia) I wouldn’t normally book it but I love being on lower decks near the water and  I had a WTH might as well try it moment. It was also my very first upgrade offer after all these years! 👏 I’ve heard they close off the balcony if the sea is rough. What exactly does that mean? Will I still be able to see out? Anyone have pictures to share? TIA

First off, closing one's cove is extremely rare but it can happen. (Think 'sailing through a gale') I'll bet something like a once a year event.

I believe all it means is that the door to access the balcony gets locked so it's unusable. I recall a separate glass window similar to what you would find in an OV.

No problem.  Perhaps my very favorite cabin type although it's been a few years now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is a big storm door that gets shut so you cannot go out onto the balcony and to keep water out.  As @Jsglow said its rare to see them closed.

• Thanks 2

We've sailed through TWO tropical systems, both on a cove balcony. Neither one of those sailings was our door ever closed. In fact we sat on our balcony and watched the waves during the storm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks! I was on Venezia 1/6-1/14 in a deck 1 OV and those WAVES…..😲 i kept thinking if it was a cove it would be closed off which got me wondering how they do it. I imagined them putting a steel frame over the balcony opening! Oh, and I LOVED watching those waves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are not fans after trying one several years ago, way too close to water and salt/sea spray all over everything out on balcony every day (had to be wiped down each time we wanted to use it).  I can def see how they would need to close them up if waves were big enough, even with what I would call regular size waves we could feel a mist when sitting out there. 

Just didnt enjoy it like a regular or suite balcony (we use our balconies) and def want to be several decks higher for the view.  Just our perspective, we would never book one again.  

Edited by Drazil65

Here's a pic from online showing the steel door that can be closed.  It's a little larger than the regular balcony door so you should still have the window view in the event the doors get closed.

We've had roughly 10 cove balconies and never had them closed.  We love being so close to the water and enjoy the ones closer to the front of the ship but not all the way forward.  It makes for great pier runner watching.

P1000577.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

First off, closing one's cove is extremely rare but it can happen.

I was going to say the same thing - we have been on around 35 cruises (once during a hurricane) and only one time were seas rough enough that the captain ordered everyone inside the vessel.  Even in that instance they did not close off our our cove balcony with the big steel door.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully the one we went on and had a cove they didn’t have to close it. Booked for next year in a cove again and fingers crossed! I loved being so close to the water and having a space to be in the shade and feel the spray of the water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

We are not fans after trying one several years ago, way too close to water and salt/sea spray all over everything out on balcony every day (had to be wiped down each time we wanted to use it).  I can def see how they would need to close them up if waves were big enough, even with what I would call regular size waves we could feel a mist when sitting out there. 

Just didnt enjoy it like a regular or suite balcony (we use our balconies) and def want to be several decks higher for the view.  Just our perspective, we would never book one again.  

We always cruised in balconies. And quite a few aft wraps! 👍👍 then my husband passed and I started cruising solo and have to pay double so i

”downgraded myself” to OV and the ones I’ve had (my past 3cruises) have been on deck 1 and I just love watching the waves/sea at that level. I could go to upper public decks to look out. I just figured why not when I was offered the cove upgrade. It’s an experience I didn’t expect to

have! I’m adding a “rain slicker” to my cruise list lol! 💦

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

We did one on a super cheap cruise before another cruise we had booked. Terrible. Would never book one again. Felt like steerage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. As long as I have a window to look out I’m good. Wish I had cove on 1/6 cruise. I just loved the waves and the spray from them hitting each other. Last day sailing back to NY the sun was out and the sun on the spray created dozens of rainbows dancing on the ocean. Mother Nature put on quite a show! 👏👍🌈☀️

• Like 4