Rottnest Island advice needed

We will be on a cruise that ends in Freemantle with an overnight before we disembark.  We would like to go to Rottnest Island for the day.  The problem is that I am still recovering from a torn tendon in my ankle.  I have worked hard with PT to get up to walking about 2 km but not much more than that.  I can’t ride bikes nor snorkel with fins.  When I look at options for the visit, I am a bit overwhelmed.  Can anyone suggest a plan for the day that would be a nice lazy visit that wouldn’t require too much walking.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We will be on a cruise that ends in Freemantle with an overnight before we disembark.  We would like to go to Rottnest Island for the day.  The problem is that I am still recovering from a torn tendon in my ankle.  I have worked hard with PT to get up to walking about 2 km but not much more than that.  I can’t ride bikes nor snorkel with fins.  When I look at options for the visit, I am a bit overwhelmed.  Can anyone suggest a plan for the day that would be a nice lazy visit that wouldn’t require too much walking.

Thanks!

There is info about accessibility options on the official Rottnest website that might get you started on ideas. 
https://www.rottnestisland.com/visit/accessibility

You won’t need to walk very far…there is a bus service that’s does a loop around the island, you can get off, go for a swim, get back on again at different stops. It will give you enough time to do this. Check the schedule on Rottnest Island webpage. Its a great way to see the sights all around the island, no need to get off of you don’t want to.

the village of Rottnest is all within short walking distance, e.g, ferry to hotel, to supermarket to bakery, less than 10 minutes walk.

it is a great day trip from Perth city (or from Fremantle) The good part of getting the ferry from Perth, you cruise all the way down the Swan River, very scenic cruising…then thru the port of Fremantle to cruise to Rottnest. 

you won’t be disappointed but you will if you do not go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rottnest Island is definitely worth a visit even if it's just to see the quokkas. The buses are a very good option, my days of cycling on Rottnest are over 😀.

Enjoy your visit when you get there

• Like 2

there is also a little open sided train that goes to the historical war site, includes an optional guided tour  which was very good.

You would have to be able to cope with a few stairs going underground though

https://www.rottnestisland.com/see-do/culture-history/captain-hussey-historical-train-tour?tab=see-do

8 hours ago, Kristelle said:

there is also a little open sided train that goes to the historical war site, includes an optional guided tour  which was very good.

You would have to be able to cope with a few stairs going underground though

https://www.rottnestisland.com/see-do/culture-history/captain-hussey-historical-train-tour?tab=see-do

Thanks!  Sounds interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

We're looking at doing Rottnest Island while we are in Freemantle for the day.

We'll be docked from 7am - 5pm.

While we could possible catch the 7:30am ferry, the 9 am is more realistic, putting us on the island at 9:30 am.

We'd need to be on the 2:30pm returning to Freemantle at 3 pm.

(the next return is 4pm, arriving in Freemantle at 4:30 pm.... with an all-aboard at 4:30 that's cutting it a little to close for comfort!).

So, my question:   we'd have about 5 hours on the island, 9:30am - 2:30 pm.   Is that enough to enjoy it, or would we be better off doing something in Freemantle or Perth?

Thanks,

Mary

8 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

We're looking at doing Rottnest Island while we are in Freemantle for the day.

We'll be docked from 7am - 5pm.

While we could possible catch the 7:30am ferry, the 9 am is more realistic, putting us on the island at 9:30 am.

We'd need to be on the 2:30pm returning to Freemantle at 3 pm.

(the next return is 4pm, arriving in Freemantle at 4:30 pm.... with an all-aboard at 4:30 that's cutting it a little to close for comfort!).

So, my question:   we'd have about 5 hours on the island, 9:30am - 2:30 pm.   Is that enough to enjoy it, or would we be better off doing something in Freemantle or Perth?

Thanks,

Mary

What time of year will it be Mary, I'm guessing during warm weather? I think 5 hours would be OK but you need to decide if the cost of the ferry is worth it to you. Another option could be a scenic cruise between Fremantle (not Freemantle) and Perth but you might want to spend some time on land 🙂.

7 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

What time of year will it be Mary, I'm guessing during warm weather? I think 5 hours would be OK but you need to decide if the cost of the ferry is worth it to you. Another option could be a scenic cruise between Fremantle (not Freemantle) and Perth but you might want to spend some time on land 🙂.

Thank you for this advice - definitely something to consider.  

And thanks also for catching my spelling error; I’m usually pretty good about getting names right, but not this time 😊

So I’ve been pronouncing Fremantle the way I spelled it, FREE-mantle.    What’s the proper way to say it?

Best,

Mary

7 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thank you for this advice - definitely something to consider.  

And thanks also for catching my spelling error; I’m usually pretty good about getting names right, but not this time 😊

So I’ve been pronouncing Fremantle the way I spelled it, FREE-mantle.    What’s the proper way to say it?

Best,

Mary

Freemantle is the correct way to pronounce it but there is no emphasis on the free. It is not said as Free Mantle.

• Thanks 1

If you decide to stay in Fremantle, one suggestion would be to see Fremantle prison - old prison, now historical site, from convict era.

Several guided tours.

Underground tunnels one was really good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Freemantle is the correct way to pronounce it but there is no emphasis on the free. It is not said as Free Mantle.

Lol no - former WA local here - it's actually pronounced "fruh"mantle !! Freo (freeoh) for short. 

• Thanks 1