Another Live from the Oosterdam? 1/29-2/20

I am honored to have heard Tim Nash’s lectures.  Yesterday, Melting Ice and Rising Sea and this afternoon How is Climate Change Affecting Antarctica and What Does it Mean for Us. Some website links if you would like to learn more.IMG_9509.thumb.jpeg.53dbb26429bc5a063cda53f9ca54d70b.jpeg

This morning Lou Sanson gave an excellent lecture on Antarctica and Subantarctic Penguins- Life in Cold Climates. His own pictures and the stories of where he took them added to the presentation.IMG_9571.thumb.jpeg.02d256361ba58f114273abed4f084063.jpeg

The lecture series has greatly added to my enjoyment of the cruise.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Any other Brits following here..... Ch 5 has Cruising with Susan Calman in Antarctica. Have watched the first few minutes of ep 1.... want to watch one straight after the other..... she starts in Buenos Aires then flies to Ushuaia to board an expedition ship.... haven't watched long enough to see which one.....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Any other Brits following here..... Ch 5 has Cruising with Susan Calman in Antarctica. Have watched the first few minutes of ep 1.... want to watch one straight after the other..... she starts in Buenos Aires then flies to Ushuaia to board an expedition ship.... haven't watched long enough to see which one.....

Got it, thanks for the heads up 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorbertsNiece said:

The Scenic Eclipse.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

I've been following this live from and your own live as we are hoping to do the same cruise later ths year or in 2025. You have a real treat when you catch up with Susan Calman, we weren't going to do the Antartica sail by itinerary but I am beginning change my mind!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

I've been following this live from and your own live as we are hoping to do the same cruise later ths year or in 2025. You have a real treat when you catch up with Susan Calman, we weren't going to do the Antartica sail by itinerary but I am beginning change my mind!

I've not looked at how much an itinerary on Scenic Eclipse would cost. The shock wouldn't be good for my heart!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our final stop in Antartica was the Palmer Station, a US Research facility.  IMG_9610.thumb.jpeg.771c7717615de802c5acce0458db1b90.jpegZodiacs came out to the ship to pick up some packages; my understanding is it was batteries and mail.IMG_9620.thumb.jpeg.9e4b2cc7c0d65165ed1084226da663ab.jpeg

IMG_9626.thumb.jpeg.f2556f1989e6eb04656214b7a68fb779.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

I've not looked at how much an itinerary on Scenic Eclipse would cost. The shock wouldn't be good for my heart!!

That's why we will be on Holland America or Princess. 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2024 at 4:31 PM, 0106 said:

Words cannot describes our day in Charlotte Bay, cruising the Lemarie Channel culminating at Cuverville Island.  So many whales, now at the gentoo penguin colony and we are still seeing whales.  If there is anyway possible for you to go on this cruise, do it!  It has been exceeded my wildest dreams.  In the words of my new British friend, “I am gobsmacked”

I am so glad you are enjoying this itinerary and the cruise 🙂   DD DH and I thought it was fabulous back when we did it.  Glad to hear your impressions are the same 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are rocking and rolling as we head north.  The Captain said we will leave the Antarctica region at 4pm.  

We enjoyed our brunch.  Food was excellent.IMG_9630.thumb.jpeg.2a930e06f305714efa2d95947fecef5a.jpeg

IMG_9632.thumb.jpeg.6e4146bacb9fdc9f4c56f669ea0cee97.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We are extremely lucky to have Captain Kevin Beirnaert on this voyage.  IMG_9638.thumb.jpeg.28978ee615241c2a9320c197aff41469.jpegHe is easy to approach and will happily converse with you.  I appreciate his skill in the difficult conditions of an Antarctic passage.  I appreciate his honesty. He was ask why we missed Punta Del Este. He said it was his decision along with the corporate office, because when he looked at how many ships would be in Port with us, they were very crowded. By altering our schedule by one day, there were fewer ships in Port. Thus we would have a better experience.

• Like 7

Could you tell me where they are handing out tender tickets for passengers who aren't booked on a HAL tour? We are on Oosterdam's next sailing and trying to pick a good spot for our private tour to meet onboard so we can all disembark and tender together in Puerto Montt.

Thanks!