Another Live from the Oosterdam? 1/29-2/20

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The experience in the Santiago airport was not the nightmare that I had anticipated.  From what I could find out, the International terminal was renovated in 2021 and appears very modern.  We waited in a restaurant for 2 hours before we were able to check our bags for our 11:55 American flight.  There is very little other seating available. We were able to check our bags 4 hours before our flight.  After dropping our bags, we proceeded through the security doors. It took about 10 minutes to get through the passport check and another 10 minutes to get through the airport security scanner.  After a long walk to our gate, there was plenty of seating in what appeared to be a new space.  Yes, it was a 6 hour wait for our flight but I felt safe the entire time.  One weird thing was an additional baggage check before boarding the plane.  No water was allowed through this additional security check.  Our flights were on time and we are now home.

This cruise was exceeded my expectations.  If this cruise is on your bucket list, book it!  Please feel free to ask any questions and I will help you if I can.  

Welcome home Tina.  

Thank you so much for a terrific Live thread.   It was truly appreciated 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Cathygh We throughly enjoyed all of our private tours.  I highly recommend booking privately.  We used HIA credits to book 2 HAL tours.  I was unhappy with both because of the waiting and large crowds at the sights we visited.  I booked the HAL tour to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas to see the penguins because it was a 2 hour boat ride from the port and I was going without my DH.  If I hadn’t already seen so many penguins it would have been a good tour but it was late in the season and there were fewer penguins than on my previous tours.  

Book your private tours ASAP, they will sell out.  I found people to join me on the Roll Call.

If you are interested in photography, I recommend a zoom lens.  However, all the photos posted on this thread (unless I indicated they were taken by someone else) were taken with my iPhone SE.

We used our verandah frequently during scenic cruising.  It was very windy many days.  Be sure to bring appropriate clothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Cathygh We throughly enjoyed all of our private tours.  I highly recommend booking privately.  We used HIA credits to book 2 HAL tours.  I was unhappy with both because of the waiting and large crowds at the sights we visited.  I booked the HAL tour to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas to see the penguins because it was a 2 hour boat ride from the port and I was going without my DH.  If I hadn’t already seen so many penguins it would have been a good tour but it was late in the season and there were fewer penguins than on my previous tours.  

Book your private tours ASAP, they will sell out.  I found people to join me on the Roll Call.

If you are interested in photography, I recommend a zoom lens.  However, all the photos posted on this thread (unless I indicated they were taken by someone else) were taken with my iPhone SE.

We used our verandah frequently during scenic cruising.  It was very windy many days.  Be sure to bring appropriate clothing.

Thank you very much. It looks like we will need winter and summer clothing, is that right?

We also have a shorex credit so we will be careful what we choose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

It looks like we will need winter and summer clothing,

Yes, it was very hot in Buenos Aires & Puerto Madryn and very cold and windy in the Falklands and Antarctica.

• Like 4

I agree that this is an absolutely wonderful itinerary.  My highlights were our pre-cruise visit to Iguazu, the Antarctica scenic cruising and the last several ports in Chile.  The red eye flight the eve of disembarkation was painful but it was worth it.

As for the Holland America shipboard experience, it exceeded all my best expectations!  I especially enjoyed the food!  Will sail HAL again!

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

I agree that this is an absolutely wonderful itinerary...

As for the Holland America shipboard experience, it exceeded all my best expectations!  I especially enjoyed the food!  Will sail HAL again!

YAY - makes me smile to read HAL exceeded your expectations and that you'll be back. 😊 No cruise or cruiseline is perfect, but HAL does a great job onboard.

• Like 5

On 2/22/2024 at 10:56 AM, Cathygh said:

Thank you, we have booked this for 2025.

Can I please ask, is there anything you wish you had done and you didn't? Or anything you think is not worth doing?

Thanks

My sister-in-law did Bluff's Cove at the Falklands and said it was AMAZING. I wish I had done that. (official HAL tour)  Like 106, I was unhappy with the HAL excursions generally because they were all large buses going to the most obvious accessible locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:29 AM, 0106 said:

The experience in the Santiago airport was not the nightmare that I had anticipated.  From what I could find out, the International terminal was renovated in 2021 and appears very modern.  We waited in a restaurant for 2 hours before we were able to check our bags for our 11:55 American flight.  There is very little other seating available. We were able to check our bags 4 hours before our flight.  After dropping our bags, we proceeded through the security doors. It took about 10 minutes to get through the passport check and another 10 minutes to get through the airport security scanner.  After a long walk to our gate, there was plenty of seating in what appeared to be a new space.  Yes, it was a 6 hour wait for our flight but I felt safe the entire time.  One weird thing was an additional baggage check before boarding the plane.  No water was allowed through this additional security check.  Our flights were on time and we are now home.

This cruise was exceeded my expectations.  If this cruise is on your bucket list, book it!  Please feel free to ask any questions and I will help you if I can.  

The cruise exceeded my expectations as well!  Great captain, great itinerary and great service onboard.

Thank you Tina for all your work in advance and on this thread. 

Eat a crabcake for me!

Perry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@0106 thank you for this report! Very timely.

Few questions (for anyone who cares to reply):

1) I have zero tendering priority and I'm concerned about making private tour arrangements and not being able to get there in time. On the 35 night Kdam cruise, it took nearly 6 hours to get everyone off in Nuka Hiva. It was also challenging in Fakarava, and several people were left behind by their private guide. What are you thought on this?

2) I have $300 to burn on SE. Like you, I really don't like HAL excurstions, but I'll spend the money. What tour(s) would you recommend from HAL??

3) What stops were fine to get off and just explore on our own? We are hikers. Distance isn't really an issue.

4) What are the top three tours you did?

Mahalo!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

1) I have zero tendering priority and I'm concerned about making private tour arrangements and not being able to get there in time.

I had zero tendering priority.  We made arrangements to meet our private tour group (between 8-12 people arranged on the Roll Call) in the Ocean Bar.  Then the group went to Rolling Stones to line up for our tender tickets. The tour operators seem to understand the difficulties of tendering.

What tour(s) would you recommend from HAL??

I met many people who only did HAL tours.  If you are going Santiago to BA, the penguins on Magdalena Island from Punta Arenas.  I wanted to see penguins at every possible opportunity.  If it was my first experience it would have been incredible.  It was my last and there weren’t as many penguins as at some of the other places because by mid February, the juveniles were beginning to migrate.

What stops were fine to get off and just explore on our own?

We explored Montevideo and Isla de Chiloe Castro on our own. If you want to hike, you will need transportation to get out of town.  Chile is a beautiful country with many hiking opportunities.

What are the top three tours you did?

Adventure Falklands (formerly Patrick Watts) was by far the best tour.  People cautioned me about the long rough drive but it was so worth it.

El Pedral from Puerto Madryn, my first time walking with the penguins.

Tierra del Fuego National Park with Alma Calma in Ushuaia.

When planning, I found a lot of information on the previous Roll Calls.  You should book your tours asap for 2025.  Have a great time planning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

I had zero tendering priority.  We made arrangements to meet our private tour group (between 8-12 people arranged on the Roll Call) in the Ocean Bar.  Then the group went to Rolling Stones to line up for our tender tickets. The tour operators seem to understand the difficulties of tendering.

I met many people who only did HAL tours.  If you are going Santiago to BA, the penguins on Magdalena Island from Punta Arenas.  I wanted to see penguins at every possible opportunity.  If it was my first experience it would have been incredible.  It was my last and there weren’t as many penguins as at some of the other places because by mid February, the juveniles were beginning to migrate.

We explored Montevideo and Isla de Chiloe Castro on our own. If you want to hike, you will need transportation to get out of town.  Chile is a beautiful country with many hiking opportunities.

Adventure Falklands (formerly Patrick Watts) was by far the best tour.  People cautioned me about the long rough drive but it was so worth it.

El Pedral from Puerto Madryn, my first time walking with the penguins.

Tierra del Fuego National Park with Alma Calma in Ushuaia.

When planning, I found a lot of information on the previous Roll Calls.  You should book your tours asap for 2025.  Have a great time planning.

I agree with all your private tour choices. And the guides wait and fully understand our tendering processes. I took this cruise in March 23, best time ever!!!

• Like 1