Another Live from the Oosterdam? 1/29-2/20

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

0106 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I am so greatlful to @NorbertsNiece @Btimmer and @TravelBluebird that I thought I would add my insights to the same cruise itinerary. Their pictures are fantastic; my pictures will be minimal and taken with my cell phone.  Their commentary was detailed and on all aspects of the ship; my comments will focus on the daily activities and tours.  Their food pictures made my mouth water; I usually forget to take pictures until after I finish eating.  I will attempt not to repeat what you have already read.  Feel free to ask questions.  Here goes…

We left our home in MD Saturday at 11 am for BWI, onto Dallas, arrived in Buenos Aires at 10:30 on Sunday.  Ten hour flight was the longest I have ever been experienced.  Glad we paid for main cabin extra so I had a bit more leg room.  Was able to sleep about 6 hours.  Took a remiss from EZE, did not book in advance.  Desks are immediately after immigration before you enter the main lobby of the airport.  Used credit card, $40 to Wyndham Dazzler Polo in the Palmero area.  Great hotel, suite with small kitchen,  very clean, friendly helpful staff.  Rooftop pool. My DH immediately jumped in the shower and then..,IMG_8965.thumb.jpeg.f73b9f56ca33afcb3b676080aeb06831.jpeg

Two TVs, we are searching for a way to watch the Ravens game.  IMG_8966.thumb.jpeg.319d4326ff161d26dd54ecb04aa7ed0a.jpegAfter his brief nap, we needed some food.  This is a wonderful neighborhood with a very nice park and the polo stadium, an easy 4 blocks from the hotel.  We prefer to mix with local people and eat where they eat.  After walking along restaurant row under the railroad tracks we decided.IMG_8981.thumb.jpeg.c53ab9ca2f1fa6e7d9deea488a44758d.jpegI use Google translate, it is not perfect but we ordered.IMG_8968.thumb.jpeg.e5f8ecc6b0b48cd05d118565c1b59301.jpegI had a caipirinha, we ordered a bottle of Malbec, empanadas, a steak and cheese wrapped in potato bombas.  Meat was cooked on a grill in our viewIMG_8977.thumb.jpeg.6d21c0fab4b4702434848d688e9e1cb6.jpegEverything was delicious and we lingered for two hours people watching.IMG_8975.thumb.jpeg.a40061b939eab28883b0855c800b5a59.jpegPaid with my credit card, $25.62.  

Tomorrow, we board.  The terminal was damaged by a storm in December.  I have read that you drop your bags at an alternative site and then take a bus to the terminal.  My PCC says go to the terminal.  Others PCC say go to the alternative site.  Many on the Roll Call have contacted HAL.  We all get different answers. This confusion about where to check in is not acceptable.  Why not an official email from HAL?Other cruise lines have sent them to their passengers.  We will see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

Happily following along with you.  DD DH and ILOVED South America.  I hope you two do too 🤞 

Looking forward to any posts you have time to do and hope your spot for bags is sorted out 🤞 

Bon Voyage you two!  I hope you have a fabulous time 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great start to your Live From! I've been following your Roll Call, picking up advice for our cruise next year and I'm looking forward to following along on the cruise. I hope you have wonderful adventures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tina, have a wonderful cruise!!  We’ll be there next year.  I am excited for you as this cruise ranks up there with the best of the best.  I did it in 2011 and have always wanted to go back,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excited to follow along with you as we are also doing this itinerary next year. And nice to have another Ravens fan….we were at the game and it wasn’t pretty 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am excited to be joining you both here and on the ship for this very same cruise.  Who knows, I may be inspired to post some of my own experiences on your thread, if that is OK.

Let’s just hope us and other passengers can find out where to go today to drop our luggage, without too much trouble!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, dcmom said:

nice to have another Ravens fan….we were at the game and it wasn’t pretty

No NFL football in Buenos Aires, not in bars or on the hotel TV.  Followed on my phone.  Disappointing, I thought this was the year.

@slewis7 I encourage you and anyone else onboard with us to add to this thread.  I think different viewpoints are important.

The coffee in Buenos Aires is delicious!

• Like 5

I have read the warnings about crime in Buenos Aires but we are very comfortable in the Palmero neighborhood.  We went for a long walk this morning.  I feel like we saw the “real” Buenos Aires.  We saw so many people walking their dogs and many dog walkers too.IMG_8984.thumb.jpeg.0920676d68cf7600bbbf3a75ef6c4c6e.jpeg

IMG_8989.thumb.jpeg.5ba7af054909c606802f8c87f98a609f.jpeg

This park was full of people walking, jogging, rollerblading and biking.IMG_8992.thumb.jpeg.20197b3ec90a4399fbaba8010bdbe4c9.jpeg

It is right next to the free Ecoparque (formerly the zoo?) which was a wonderful place to stroll.IMG_8995.thumb.jpeg.26c427642a21fbf4d6b35c137b8f4ad2.jpeg

We are now relaxing in the hotel until check out at noon.  I’ve decided to tell the taxi driver to take us to the port.  They usually know where to go …will see how that works.  I’ll report back this evening.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

No NFL football in Buenos Aires, not in bars or on the hotel TV.  Followed on my phone.  Disappointing, I thought this was the year.

@slewis7 I encourage you and anyone else onboard with us to add to this thread.  I think different viewpoints are important.

The coffee in Buenos Aires is delicious!

I have an app called Channels DVR, which allows me to watch my local tv channels wherever I am as long as I have WiFi. I’m a 49er fan. It started out fine last night (the hotel internet not the game) but started cutting out. I had to resort to texting with my son to keep up. At any rate the end result was fine. Hope internet is better on ship.

• Like 2

0106 - Bon Voyage! 🥂😊

I'm very sorry that the Ravens didn't win. My stepfather and I watched the game. We have been rooting for them all season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our driver knew to take us to drop luggage at Costa Salguero (not the cruise terminal).  We are there now awaiting a transfer.  It seems like a smooth process so far.

• Like 6