Buy euros on ship?

Just now, steveru621 said:

OK, then, you haven't been to Argentina and other countries.  Most foreign ATMs at banks charge a fee and all ATMs at hotels and merchants, bank or not, charge a FEE.  Almost all US banks charge you a fee for using a non-US ATM. Both mine and your statements are uncountable.

I spent 40 years in the ATM business and have also traveled all over the world.

I did not choose my words correctly.  I did not mean ATMs don't have Internet access.  I should have said you won't have Internet access on an excursion to use Google Maps.

Yes, I have been to Argentina.  3 times.  The last time, you are right, the ATMs were not the answer, because the money changers on Ave Florida had the best rates if you brought US cash.  As for otehr countries, I have only been to another 153, so you may have more experience that me.

I am not talking about YOUR bank charging, I am talking about the FOREIGN ATM charging.  I have two debit cards that do not charge me for foreign ATM use. I am not sure about the other one, as I don't carry that debit card around.

FYI, I have internet access in most countries you are likely to want to visit, and many you don't with T-Mobile.  Or you can plan ahead and download the maps on your phone using MapsMe.

But I don't think I have ever used my phone to find an ATM, they are just about everywhere.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gfargo53 said:

i have never used a foreign atm for their currency.so do i use my bank debit card and just use my pin number and do i have to notify my bank i am traveling internationally

Yes, notify your bank.  Also only use a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee.  Many do.  As to debit cards, I never use them. Almost impossible to reverse a wrong transaction, at least not quickly and your money comes out of your account immediately. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Yes, notify your bank.  Also only use a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee.  Many do.  As to debit cards, I never use them. Almost impossible to reverse a wrong transaction, at least not quickly and your money comes out of your account immediately. 

I use my debit card to get cash from ATM's with my PIN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfargo53 said:

i have never used a foreign atm for their currency.so do i use my bank debit card and just use my pin number and do i have to notify my bank i am traveling internationally

Use your debit card with your pin number. Notify your bank of the countries you are traveling in so they don't decline your transactions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

OK, then, you haven't been to Argentina and other countries.  Most foreign ATMs at banks charge a fee and all ATMs at hotels and merchants, bank or not, charge a FEE.  Almost all US banks charge you a fee for using a non-US ATM. Both mine and your statements are uncountable.

Some banks don't charge a fee for using a non US ATM. I have a debit card with no foreign ATM fees charged or foreign transaction fees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Some banks don't charge a fee for using a non US ATM. I have a debit card with no foreign ATM fees charged or foreign transaction fees.

The uncountable 'some'.  I can tell you that I'm not changing my banking relationship, and most customers don't bother to read disclosures and fee structures. Did you know that for security reasons, most banks have a different DAILY WD limit for foreign transactions?  The $ 500 USD daily WD limit does not = 500 Euros.

You people are missing the point of my original post.  

You don't need very much foreign currency!  A 2-cent difference in the almighty exchange rate will not ruin your cruise.  It's just not worth the aggravation.  ATM fees will almost always cost you just as much. All this to save a few dollars?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My bank will cover wrong transactions. At foreign ATM's there is limit of how much cash  that can be withdrawn at a time.

Ok.  Seen where someone buys something using their debit card. The wrong amout is charged and not discovered until another charge is refused.  Agree with an ATM withdrawal you'd know of the error immediately. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

The uncountable 'some'.  I can tell you that I'm not changing my banking relationship, and most customers don't bother to read disclosures and fee structures. Did you know that for security reasons, most banks have a different DAILY WD limit for foreign transactions?  The $ 500 USD daily WD limit does not = 500 Euros.

You people are missing the point of my original post.  

You don't need very much foreign currency!  A 2-cent difference in the almighty exchange rate will not ruin your cruise.  It's just not worth the aggravation.  ATM fees will almost always cost you just as much. All this to save a few dollars?

I know that. I have not had to use much currency on any trip in recent years. Only to tip tour guides. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My bank will cover wrong transactions. At foreign ATM's there is limit of how much cash  that can be withdrawn at a time.

It's a federal law.  If your bank gives you aggravation find another bank.

There is a limit at all ATMs.  It's called a bill count, mainly due to the height of the bill delivery door. Many ATMs will limit the WD amount to force you to do multiple transactions.  There is also a DAILY ATM WD limit, a daily debit signature limit, and a POS limit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Ok.  Seen where someone buys something using their debit card. The wrong amout is charged and not discovered until another charge is refused.  Agree with an ATM withdrawal you'd know of the error immediately. 

I don’t buy anything with my debit card. I only use it for cash at ATMs. Not really much of that anymore. I have alerts set up so any transaction with the bank I get a text alert almost immediately. I do the same with credit cards. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t buy anything with my debit card. I only use it for cash at ATMs. Not really much of that anymore. I have alerts set up so any transaction with the bank I get a text alert almost immediately. I do the same with credit cards. 

Sounds like you have a plan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There are TWO types of transactions to use your Debit card; signature and POS PIN.  Two different protection laws and dispute processes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njkruzer said:

Sounds like you have a plan.

I do. I canceled my Barclays issued credit cards because the alerts came the next day. That is too long. My Chase credit card, AMEX card, and Apple Card alerts are immediate. Usually before I am out the door. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I do. I canceled my Barclays issued credit cards because the alerts came the next day. That is too long. My Chase credit card, AMEX card, and Apple Card alerts are immediate. Usually before I am out the door. 

Excellent!  Every customer should set up instant alerts.

2 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There are TWO types of transactions to use your Debit card; signature and POS PIN.  Two different protection laws and dispute processes.

I have never used a POS PIN. I advise against that. I use credit cards and as a bonus collect rewards or cash back. I have never carried a balance. I realize that not everyone is able to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have never used a POS PIN. I advise against that. I use credit cards and as a bonus collect rewards or cash back. I have never carried a balance. I realize that not everyone is able to do that. 

There really is no reason to use your PIN at a merchant.  For many years, Walmart tried to force you to use a PIN because it was less expensive for them.  You had to press cancel!

At one point Walmart asked for your zipcode to use AVS.

If your card says DEBIT on the front, it uses the exact same dispute process as a CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There really is no reason to use your PIN at a merchant.  For many years, Walmart tried to force you to use a PIN because it was less expensive for them.  You had to press cancel!

At one point Walmart asked for your zipcode to use AVS.

If your card says DEBIT on the front, it uses the exact same dispute process as a CC.

I see people doing it at the grocery store sometimes time when I am waiting in line. I can even see the numbers they are putting in sometimes.  1234 is popular 😱 They probably don’t have credit cards. Either they can’t get a credit card or don’t trust themselves to have one. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

I see people doing it at the grocery store all the time when I am waiting in line. I can even see the numbers they are putting in sometimes.  1234 is popular 😱 They probably don’t have credit cards. Either they can’t get a credit card or don’t trust themselves to have one. 

You can't get cash back unless you do a POS PIN and don't have to go to an ATM.

Millions of people don't want or can't get a standard CC.