Buy euros on ship?

2 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I had an uncle who had a dental practice in Stonybrook in the 1950s. I grew up in Manhattan, Pelham and Larchmont.  I have a former colleague/friend who lives in Plano and cousins in Nashville. Sounds like you are living my life.😊

Jim

Left Plano in 1983, though still visit friends in Dallas.  Manhattan 1969-1973.  Tiny apartment in Inwood.

6 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Left Plano in 1983, though still visit friends in Dallas.  Manhattan 1969-1973.  Tiny apartment in Inwood.

I am not sure when my friend moved to plano. He came from Minneapolis where he had bookstores and a publishing company. He still lives in Plano.

Jim

Just now, jeh10641 said:

I am not sure when my friend moved to plano. He came from Minneapolis where he had bookstores and a publishing company. He still lives in Plano.

Jim

Cousins in Nashville?  We live just off West End Ave,  not far from Vanderbilt. 

In the past, I've only purchased around $20 worth of Euro from the ship just to have some local currency for incidentals.  I use the Bank ATM in Europe, at usually no cost or transaction fees.  A couple of times there was a small fee, but my bank reimbursed the fee.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, nolimits said:

Pounds changed 5/6 yrs ago as we learned  LOL . No one would take old paper bills. BOA really would of had us in a pickle if we didn’t have 

credit cards. People reacted as if old bills where phoney money. Free to exchange in post office old for new. If you had an account in a British bank they also exchanged them. We arrived on a Sat evening banks and post office closed till Tues . There was a bank holiday . Our Bellman at hotel exchanged some personally till Tues so we had some pocket money.

Tap card and go was everywhere so really cash was obsolete. We do like to tip cash even when paying with card so bellman’s exchange helped the service people we encountered. Cabs,Barmen.waitstaff Tour guides etc 

OMG, I now need to go to the UK to exchange all the pound notes I have saved.  

Darn, I hate when that happens. 😄

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, Ashland said:

You can also get them online from your local bank. We use BofA and do this when their needed. Pick up is usually about 2-3 days.

I have both a bank and a credit union and both told me "use an ATM there, the exchange is way better".   They can do exchange, but it is really not a thing as much as it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skittl1321 said:

I have both a bank and a credit union and both told me "use an ATM there, the exchange is way better".   They can do exchange, but it is really not a thing as much as it used to be.

Current Interbank rate is around 1.08, and you will get very close to that using a Bank ATM in Europe.

1 hour ago, FOXTROT said:

We found AAA had the best rate.

AAA has a terrible rate compared to a Bank ATM in Europe.  I would be surprised if they would give you $1.20 - $1.25 for a Euro.  If you are only exchanging a minimal amount. go for it.

The reason I travel with foreign currency is that when I arrive in a foreign country, I will have cash for immediate use for tips, snacks, taxis, etc. Never more than 100 units (Euros, Pounds, etc.). After settling in, then I can look for a bank ATM recommended by my bank to further reduce any fees.

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

The reason I travel with foreign currency is that when I arrive in a foreign country, I will have cash for immediate use for tips, snacks, taxis, etc. Never more than 100 units (Euros, Pounds, etc.). After settling in, then I can look for a bank ATM recommended by my bank to further reduce any fees.

Agree.  And I get the currency in small denominations.  Find I almost need to use ATMs but am prepared to do so.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I never get any currency ahead of time anymore. In the UK last trip for 8 days I used tap and pay for everything. I used tap and pay in Europe too. I did get a small amount of Euros at an ATM to tip tour guides. 

Some countries like Iceland they don't want cash.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Agree.  And I get the currency in small denominations.  Find I almost need to use ATMs but am prepared to do so.

The exchange rate at ATMs is better than any rate you can get in the US. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

So many factors.

Using a non-bank ATM will likely get you a bad or forced exchange rate.  If you are going to use a foreign  ATM, use a bank ATM.  I recommend getting it done when you arrive a day early.  Finding an ATM without Internet access on an excursion can be very difficult.  ATM fees could be $5 at the foreign ATM and $5 at your bank.

If you pay for an ATM transaction, a 5-cent difference in the exchange rate is only $10 for 200 euros.

I agree you should probably get your Euros before you travel so you have cab money when you arrive.

My advice.  You probably won't need more than 200 Euros if you use a CC (without a foreign transaction fee) for incidentals on excursions.  

My bottom line is that I don't sweat the exchange rate for 200 of any foreign currency.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gfargo53 said:

we like when we have leftover foreign currency when we get home.it gives us an excuse to go back to spend it!!!

I do like to have a modest amount of leftover Euros because there are so many countries that use them and I know I will likely travel in the furture to some of them. I have even used leftover Euros on the french side of St. Marteen in the Caribbean. Other currencies I don't want. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I do like to have a modest amount of leftover Euros because there are so many countries that use them and I know I will likely travel in the furture to some of them. I have even used leftover Euros on the french side of St. Marteen in the Caribbean. Other currencies I don't want. 

I was in England in October 2023 and was glad I had Pounds in hand when I arrived for tips. I even took a Winchester personal city tour that did NOT take credit cards (very worthwhile by the way).

Jim

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

I was in England in October 2023 and was glad I had Pounds in hand when I arrived for tips. I even took a Winchester personal city tour that did NOT take credit cards (very worthwhile by the way).

Jim

I spent 8 days in the UK and never got any pounds. Stayed in the West End saw four shows. Didn’t need any money for tips as I didn’t take any tours but if I had needed any cash I would have got some from an ATM as needed.  Very simple. Plenty of ATMs. There are ATMs at the airport if you think you must have some pounds. Much better exchange rate too. I have been getting cash at ATMs for years. My bank charges no fees. Make sure though to use a bank ATM for best exchange rate and press no if it suggests converting transaction to USD. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I spent 8 days in the UK and never got any pounds. Stayed in the West End saw four shows. Didn’t need any money for tips as I didn’t take any tours but if I had needed any cash I would have got some from an ATM as needed.  Very simple. Plenty of ATMs. There are ATMs at the airport if you think you must have some pounds. Much better exchange rate too. I have been getting cash at ATMs for years. My bank charges no fees. Make sure though to use a bank ATM for best exchange rate and press no if it suggests converting transaction to USD. 

Hi, Charles,

You make very valid points about ATMS and banks at home for getting foreign currency and in other countries. i do have a question though: if you get Euros for travel why not pounds as well? Most European countries, like Great Britain, are more credit card intensive than the US.

We arrived by train in London from Amsterdam. I needed small bills for tips for porters, etc. Most ATMS give tens and twenties which are too much in my opinion. In case you are wondering, my wife and I are in our 80s so lugging baggage is not our thing anymore.

Jim

32 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Charles,

You make very valid points about ATMS and banks at home for getting foreign currency and in other countries. i do have a question though: if you get Euros for travel why not pounds as well? Most European countries, like Great Britain, are more credit card intensive than the US.

We arrived by train in London from Amsterdam. I needed small bills for tips for porters, etc. Most ATMS give tens and twenties which are too much in my opinion. In case you are wondering, my wife and I are in our 80s so lugging baggage is not our thing anymore.

Jim

I don’t get pounds because they are used only in one country and it could be years before I return. I hope I can still travel in my 80’s! I can still lug luggage but I only take one checked bag and a personal item on an overseas cruise. Other international travel only a carry on. Seeing how things are going I wouldn’t be surprised if when I am in my 80’s I decide to utilize a porter. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 8:08 PM, steveru621 said:

So many factors.

Using a non-bank ATM will likely get you a bad or forced exchange rate.  If you are going to use a foreign  ATM, use a bank ATM.  I recommend getting it done when you arrive a day early.  Finding an ATM without Internet access on an excursion can be very difficult.  ATM fees could be $5 at the foreign ATM and $5 at your bank.

I did a LOT of international travel.

I have never seen a foreign ATM that FORCED a bad rate.  They offer it, in LARGE FONT, but in the corner is a small link to deline.

And I find, that unlike US ATMs, very few foreign ATMs charge a fee.  If you do find one, most likely there one right next to it or close by that does not.

ALL foreign ATMs I have run across have internet access.  Even in third world countries.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

I did a LOT of international travel.

I have never seen a foreign ATM that FORCED a bad rate.  They offer it, in LARGE FONT, but in the corner is a small link to deline.

And I find, that unlike US ATMs, very few foreign ATMs charge a fee.  If you do find one, most likely there one right next to it or close by that does not.

ALL foreign ATMs I have run across have internet access.  Even in third world countries.  

OK, then, you haven't been to Argentina and other countries.  Most foreign ATMs at banks charge a fee and all ATMs at hotels and merchants, bank or not, charge a FEE.  Almost all US banks charge you a fee for using a non-US ATM. Both mine and your statements are uncountable.

I spent 40 years in the ATM business and have also traveled all over the world.

I did not choose my words correctly.  I did not mean ATMs don't have Internet access.  I should have said you won't have Internet access on an excursion to use Google Maps.