Lido seafood boil

We've had it on the Noordam and the Zaandam.  It's okay and messy as others have indicated.  You can get one pot and share and that works for us.  The last chowder was not Ivar's but was good.  At $35 it's a good value for the two of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been tempted to try the seafood boil offer but we are native New Englanders and live on the coast of Maine in the summer. I love HAL and generally speaking have no complaints about the food...especially when Executive Chef Willem is in charge....but the seafood offerings cannot compare to what we can get fresh off the boat , so we skip the boil...yes, seafood snob 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

We have been tempted to try the seafood boil offer but we are native New Englanders and live on the coast of Maine in the summer. I love HAL and generally speaking have no complaints about the food...especially when Executive Chef Willem is in charge....but the seafood offerings cannot compare to what we can get fresh off the boat , so we skip the boil...yes, seafood snob 😬

Another. Native and I agree.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning it being messy. ALL seafood boils are messy. That's part of their charm. A bunch of seafood that you eat with your hands. 

It feels super expensive to me however I live in the PNW so I am used to having access to all of that seafood at a lower cost locally. If you aren't from here then it is likely worth it to try. Personally I love dungeness crab far more than any other (including alaskan king crab). So it may be worth it just for that. 🙂

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Khlela said:

not sure why people keep mentioning it being messy. ALL seafood boils are messy

All the ingredients sit in a few inches of broth. Your hands are covered in this broth. 😉

I also live in the PNW so have had seafood boils there plus in the South where DH comes from. Never have been as messy as this. 

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

All the ingredients sit in a few inches of broth. Your hands are covered in this broth. 😉

I also live in the PNW so have had seafood boils there plus in the South where DH comes from. Never have been as messy as this. 

Maybe that's why they serve it in the lido. They can just mop down the tables if it gets sloppy. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, albingirl said:

Maybe that's why they serve it in the lido. They can just mop down the tables if it gets sloppy. Just a thought. 

The tables are all covered with disposable paper covers that are replaced between diners. And we were given bibs. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

The tables are all covered with disposable paper covers that are replaced between diners. And we were given bibs. 🤣

Was going to say - you beat me to it 😆 🤣 

And they provide hand wipes. 

20230503_170401.thumb.jpg.669272d0eab5060ad3cb36ff72fe380e.jpg

20240201_223155.thumb.jpg.08e8a8372fe166c21c3d9ef38f7e7096.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are from Washington State.  We had the crab boil on our way through Alaska from Seattle to Yokohama last Fall.  I really hope they have it on our cruise back from Japan in April. They sid a pretty food job of it.  I like lobster, but nothing beats Dungeness and King crab in my opinion. There is a spot on the North coast of the Olympic Peninsula called Dungeness Spit.  That is the place to get Dungeness crab fresh.

• Like 4