Greenwich or Tilbury? Which is used?

rjp50

We are on the Saturn for a Midnight Sun itinerary in June.  All of the Viking documentation for the trip says that it starts with an overnight in Greenwich.  I was looking forward to staying in that area not only for the attractions in the immediate vicinity but also the ease in getting there from central London and also the ease in doing things during the full day we will be in port before departing for Scotland.  However, I just checked https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/london-tilbury-port-1163?month=2024-07#schedule and was dismayed to see that according to this web site all of the Viking ships are scheduled to use the Tilbury port.  I am hoping that this is an error on the part of cruisemapper.com but in further research on Cruise Critic is does appear that Viking does use the Tilbury port.  Does anyone have any further information on this?  I can't imagine why they would schedule an overnight stay in a commercial port with no real access to London.

But they do.  Tilbury is used by Viking.  Cruisemapper can get it wrong.  I would call Viking or use tellus email and check Port of London schedule.  Things can always change on short notice though.

Some specific cruises of the same itinerary are normally listed as Tillbury depending on the specific sailing. It will be listed as London(TIllbury). (Aside from any last minute unplanned changes). 

Example for BIE cruises:

image.png.0094949f76e3fc1b173c986137e1d013.png

1 hour ago, rjp50 said:

We are on the Saturn for a Midnight Sun itinerary in June.  All of the Viking documentation for the trip says that it starts with an overnight in Greenwich.  I was looking forward to staying in that area not only for the attractions in the immediate vicinity but also the ease in getting there from central London and also the ease in doing things during the full day we will be in port before departing for Scotland.  However, I just checked https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/london-tilbury-port-1163?month=2024-07#schedule and was dismayed to see that according to this web site all of the Viking ships are scheduled to use the Tilbury port.  I am hoping that this is an error on the part of cruisemapper.com but in further research on Cruise Critic is does appear that Viking does use the Tilbury port.  Does anyone have any further information on this?  I can't imagine why they would schedule an overnight stay in a commercial port with no real access to London.

Not sure why you are checking the 3rd party website cruisemapper, and contemplating they are more accurate than your Viking documentation, as they are often incorrect.

To determine the port, the definitive sources are the port's website or the cruise line. The Port of London website shows Viking Saturn at Greenwich on 30/04/24. Enjoy the days ashore, as it has some great pubs and attractions, a short walk from the tenders dock.

Affirmative, Viking use both London Cruise Terminal (Tilbury) and Greenwich

• Like 1

BTW If you visit Greenwich Observatory, be sure to take one of the free tours. Last June we arrived there just in time for the tour of the Harrison Clocks exhibit. The docent was great and the tour was fascinating.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/harrisons-clocks-longitude-problem

image.thumb.jpeg.ad9db048f9f6a3c3403d170628525a9a.jpeg

We were in Greenwich independently and we passed the Viking ship in port as we cruised down the Thames.

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.9571e6e3b7f476aee87ebe3532b27d4a.jpeg

IMG_2985.thumb.jpeg.a216b95d9932f139445aca676bdd6f91.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure why you are checking the 3rd party website cruisemapper, and contemplating they are more accurate than your Viking documentation, as they are often incorrect.

To determine the port, the definitive sources are the port's website or the cruise line. The Port of London website shows Viking Saturn at Greenwich on 30/04/24. Enjoy the days ashore, as it has some great pubs and attractions, a short walk from the tenders dock.

This will be our first Viking cruise so I do not yet have the confidence that their documentation is fully accurate.  In our last cruise with a different premium cruise company, their documentation said we did not need a visa for Indonesia.  When the US State Dept. web site said that we did, I called customer service and was told that I should always believe the company's documentation rather than the State Department ... in the end, the documentation and customer service were wrong.  Hopefully the Viking documentation will continue to be accurate and I will develop the faith in it that long time Viking travelers apparently do.  Thank you for the suggestion to check the Port of London website which confirmed the Greenwich port for our cruise in June.

Edited by rjp50
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Does VO always tender at the Greenwich port or is there a pier that they can sometimes use?  How long of a tender ride is it?

In Greenwich always a Thames Clipper boat for the maybe 500’ ride to the ferry dock. No suitable pier for a ship our size.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Does VO always tender at the Greenwich port or is there a pier that they can sometimes use?  How long of a tender ride is it?

The Thames is tidal, with a range of over 20 feet, so at Greenwich they would require serious dredging to build an alongside berth. Therefore, the ships are always secured to mooring buoys about 500' from shore.

There were plans for a permanent Cruise Port to be built in Greenwich.  Strong local opposition (due to the environmental impact specifically on air quality)  and the high costs involved have stopped that.

However the locals do not object to the occasional cruise liner !  Something else to look at in beautiful Greenwich.

• Like 2

VIKING at G' from deck of Cutty Sark

image.thumb.png.ebf774fa710d5fe84de491e8cd3bdc8d.png

and looking the other way ...

image.thumb.png.313e0f3ea4dfb6dd8065f94d31a6156f.png

a special barge is put along side and holds the port's security / scanners etc. A sample tender is seen.

image.thumb.png.01e6ce33b404bc90ef89d4c20592663d.png

• Like 3

The Greenwich tender spot is very convenient to Greater London exploring.  DLR ( docklands Light Rail) station is right there and will take you to Bank station in the heart of The City ( old London)

I found , as well, the transfer from London to Tillbury was super simple.  It is step free in both Fenchurch ( level walk) and Grays ( ramp) train stations.  The train takes about 40 minutes and runs frequently.  Your can tap in  / out with your credit card.  There was a cab line waiting at Grays station and the cab ride to the Cruise port is about 15L with tip.  My cabbie only took cash which I did not object to.

24 minutes ago, indiscreet said:

Either way, it's a nice sail away on the River Thames!

First post. How did I do?

You did great!  
Perfect time to ask what I’ve been wanting to know:  Where  is the Thames Barrier in relation to the Greenwich or Tilbury docking?  Andy? Jim?

Edited by Geosez
Added names

• 1 month later...

We did the Bergen-London cruise in April of 2023 and docked in Tillbury.  Not ideal.  It's about an hour's drive from London.  If I had a choice, I'd dock in Greenwich, as there's nothing to see in Tillbury.