LIVE from Discovery Princess Mexican Riviera from LA 2/3-2/10 2024

sonomaphil

12 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

We just realized the waiter never offered side dishes.  See my comment above something is "off" tonight.  We really haven't had much interaction with him.

Things always seem off on the night before disembarkation. In our experience. 

Definitely a different vibe. 

Question for the OP (or anyone else on board yesterday) Around 4PMish, the Captain came on the speaker to warn us of possible  visible and audible effects from a rocket launch that was apparently imminent.  That was a first for us for sure, never had that announcement sailing out of PE for sure. Turns out there was yet another Starlink launch out of Vandeberg, which would have put the trajectory right off our port beam around that time. I didn't get outside to see it, did anyone else?

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Question for the OP (or anyone else on board yesterday) Around 4PMish, the Captain came on the speaker to warn us of possible  visible and audible effects from a rocket launch that was apparently imminent.  That was a first for us for sure, never had that announcement sailing out of PE for sure. Turns out there was yet another Starlink launch out of Vandeberg, which would have put the trajectory right off our port beam around that time. I didn't get outside to see it, did anyone else?

Not a launch; a recovery. 
I went out on the balcony..didn’t hear or see anything….30 miles is a huge gap though. (FWIW we were about 6 miles off the coast; so think about that distance x5)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Not a launch; a recovery. 
I went out on the balcony..didn’t hear or see anything….30 miles is a huge gap though. (FWIW we were about 6 miles off the coast; so think about that distance x5)

If it gets recovered, it has to launch, no? According to the Vandenberg SFB web site, the launch was, IIRC, around 4:30 local time, so the boost back return would have followed shortly thereafter though I don't remember whether the recovery is at Vandenberg or off shore.  The launch would have been a higher energy event than the booster landing, so louder and more visible but should still have been visible from where we were at the time given the clear-ish skies.  Vandenberg launches are generally to south so the path should have brought it fairly close to us, and as rocket launches go, 30 miles ain't that far.  Remember that the old Saturn V Apollo launches, though much bigger rockets, were visible hundreds of miles away