Chat feature on Carnival Hub App

samcraig

Hey all -

I see that the Carnival Hub App has a chat feature. I understand you can only use it if you pay $5 per person. The Carnival website seems to indicate that it's for ages 13+. Does anyone know if that restriction is in general, or tied specifically to cruise documentation. Asking because my child will be under 13, but have a phone and we wanted to know if we would all be able to chat.  Thanks!

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7781/~/carnivals-hub-app

Onboard Chat Access: The opportunity to chat with family & friends on board all cruise long from the comfort of your deck chair (fees apply). This feature is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat. 
Can minors use chat?
Chat Access is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Under 13 cannot have an account.

In reading some threads, I am not sure this is accurate as others have reported their kids being able to use it. But those posts were a bit older.

1 minute ago, weezal said:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7781/~/carnivals-hub-app

Onboard Chat Access: The opportunity to chat with family & friends on board all cruise long from the comfort of your deck chair (fees apply). This feature is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat. 
Can minors use chat?
Chat Access is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat.

Ok. Thanks. So it sounds like we can definitely use it.

Just make sure everyone downloads the HUB app before arrival on the ship.  You are supposed to be able to download it onboard, but we didn't have any luck the one time we tried that, leaving my then teen son without the ability to send messages.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, samcraig said:

In reading some threads, I am not sure this is accurate as others have reported their kids being able to use it. But those posts were a bit older.

Not having an account is not the same as not using it

• Like 1

Not related to minors but the chat iteself.  We've used it several times on various ships and sometimes it's slow sending messages or not worked at all.  Usually if we power down the phone and and turn it  back on it will work again.  Just an fyi in case you encounter issues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mistycruiser said:

Not related to minors but the chat iteself.  We've used it several times on various ships and sometimes it's slow sending messages or not worked at all.  Usually if we power down the phone and and turn it  back on it will work again.  Just an fyi in case you encounter issues. 

trying quitting just the carnival app, verify airplane mode, and connected to wifi

I believe when my daughter was under 13, I had to add her chat from my phone/folio and give permission. She was limited to only people linked to our booking. 

Super important with the chat - you can NOT fully close the app out. If it’s not running in the background, you will not receive notifications. 

• Like 1