Mid-cruise laundry special

sbaker

I understand that most NCL itineraries offer a laundry special mid-way through the cruise that lets you have cleaned as much as you can fit in a paper bag.  What is the size of the bag?  Also, any tips or suggestions about fitting as much as possible in the bag without the bag tearing? Thanks!

not sure of the exact size, but it's too small. smaller than the old non-woven or synthetic bag they used to use and which i think is still used in the haven.

to fit more in...

roll the clothes.

bring a plastic bag to line the paper bag.

leave the top of the bag open. your cabin attendant will ensure that nothing falls out.

another related tip, of course, is to pack your luggage, then take a third to a half out of it and simply bring fewer clothes.

Edited by UKstages

The bag is rather large. There is no need to play games with plastic bags, etc. A half of weeks worth of laundry will,easily fit with room to spare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

The bag is rather large.

Now I know you just post for your own amusement. Large as compared to what? A Ziplock sandwich bag? You are correct.

• Thanks 1

We have never had a problem fitting all the large clothes (smalls we wash in the room sink; when you do, wedge the shower door open, they dry more quickly) we want washed in the the same paper bag as is offered for what you are interested in; our Latitude level gives us it free.  We never worry about a plastic bag liner but we do roll the clothes.  Just don't be rough handling it!!

Ok so when you’re on a week long cruise in the Caribbean the bag may seem large but on a 16 day TA it doesn’t. I did the plastic bag trick which was essential since I had a bulky fleece I wanted washed along with 20 or so items in total. My bag was slightly smaller than the paper one so I rolled everything I could and put it inside and then filled the gap between the plastic and paper bag with small items like socks and underwear. 

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Ok so when you’re on a week long cruise in the Caribbean the bag may seem large but on a 16 day TA it doesn’t. I did the plastic bag trick which was essential since I had a bulky fleece I wanted washed along with 20 or so items in total. My bag was slightly smaller than the paper one so I rolled everything I could and put it inside and then filled the gap between the plastic and paper bag with small items like socks and underwear. 

My experience is that on longer cruises they offer the laundry special at least twice, sometimes even 3 times.....

7 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

My experience is that on longer cruises they offer the laundry special at least twice, sometimes even 3 times.....

15 nights and they only offered it once sadly. I hear usually it’s twice but I only came across it once on my cruise. Not a big deal since most of my clothes I’ll hand wash.

9 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

On my recent 15 day TA I think it was only offered once. I might be wrong since I wasn't interested, but if they offered it more than once it was not well advertised.

• Like 1

Just off of the Epic, used the laundry 3 times. Rolled our clothes before putting in the bag. An example of what I was able to fit into the bag at once was 7 shirts, 5 pair shorts, 10 pair undies, 5 pair socks, 5 handkerchiefs and 2 pair workout pants. The bags are small but you can fit a lot in them.

My complaint was that everything came back horribly wrinkled. I have never had that happen before. The handkerchiefs were so wrinkled that they could not even be folded to go into a pair of pants! I checked starch the second time and still wrinkled! I did complain, hope it helps someone.

If you need laundry before it's officially announced, just inquire at guest services. You can also do more than 1 bag at that price. 

On Prima in September, we had free laundry due to our status, but my sister and her family of 4 did not. So even though the bag is decent sized (think of a small tote bag you would use at the grocery store maybe? More tall than wide though.), when you're doing wash for 4 people it fills up quick. 

I had told her about the special, she asked guest services when it would be offered, they gave her a second bag and told her to just write $29 Special on the top of the slips and it would be honored that day for both bags. She did one that day as we had come in a day early for our Iceland trip, and then a second bag later in the trip.

I agree with many, rolling the clothes is key.  Start filling the bag with the smallest clothes at the bottom.  Be gentle when putting them in.  Work up to the largest, heaviest clothes on top.  The bag can be left open with clothes laying on top.  I am always amazed at how many clothes I can fit in the bag.  You will get them back, usually, nicely folded in a wicker basket.  Once I got my shirts and pants back on hangers. 

Laundry was later than planned on my 15 day cruise (still on board).  I got 9 days worth of clothes in that bag - boxers, t shirts (6), polos (4), socks, a pair of kakhis and a pair of cargo shorts.  I'm not a small man, everything is XL or XXL.  Everything folded but laid out neatly (to photograph as proof of what I sent) covered half of the bed. It all went in one bag, no trucks using other bags as support.