How is Britannia nowadays ?

doog442

We're looking at the Norwegian Fjords either this June or next year. We last went on her in 2017 and loved the ambience but on a recent cruise I was told she badly needs a refit and that cabins were showing their age somewhat. Recent reviews don't seem that great in many areas and I'm not sure if that's reflected in the pricing. 

I see she's due a refit between 5-21st April 2024, any idea what's involved ?  

We have the option of Iona but having just done Arvia I'd prefer a smaller ship. 

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks. 

We were on Britannia last July and commented how good condition we thought she was in... 

Not disputing others findings, but we didn't see any leaking roofs or damaged carpets. The public areas that we used appeared in good condition and our cabin was spotless. 

Hopefully the refit in April will iron out the issues as we are booked on her again shortly after. 

Our cruise was not perfect, but none of the niggles were because of the condition of the ship. 

We found her a good fit for us. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We've just returned and after a disappointing cruise in June am pleased.to say we had a great time. Loved it. Our review is in the review section for more info.

Yes the cabins need some tlc but nothing major this time. 

We've already booked for Jan 2025 and don't care of the cabins are the same as now..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Pleased to read these posts as I'm doing 3 weeks on her in May a 14 and a 7 nighters, all to Scandinavia and the Baltic. 

Her refit is April but am not sure what is being done. Think it may be carpets .. and they DO need doing !

1 hour ago, BouncingWheel said:

I wonder if they will open up the middle staircase like they did on one of the Princess versions when that had a refit. I believe it is currently hidden and used by crew only.

They have had a couple of chances already and not opened it up for passengers, so I doubt they will this time.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, Presto2 said:

We've just returned and after a disappointing cruise in June am pleased.to say we had a great time. Loved it. Our review is in the review section for more info.

We've already booked for Jan 2025 and don't care of the cabins are the same as now..

What cruise were you on in June? We were on her to the Fjords on 2nd June and had a fantastic cruise.  It was our fourth time on Britannia and we've always enjoyed being on her.

40 minutes ago, cruise saint said:

What cruise were you on in June? We were on her to the Fjords on 2nd June and had a fantastic cruise.  It was our fourth time on Britannia and we've always enjoyed being on her.

We were on the one before you .. end of May, half term week. Sorry for some reason I have it in my head it was June. Never again when it's that busy ...

On 2/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, Presto2 said:

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info and your review. Our dates this year got a little squeezed but I ended up booking new The Queen Anne for our first Fjords cruise next July.

They're doing some decent OBC offers at the moment that brought price parity with P&O for what we wanted (gratuities aside). Actually the deal was really good, the issue is that it's in the school holidays which made the deal even stranger 😬 but I'm hoping they're all little angels. When we last went on Britannia that was also in the summer holidays, it was full of teachers😆...to be fair we hardly even noticed the children.

Anyway I better have a mooch over on the Cunard forum and start asking some really silly questions. 

7 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info and your review. Our dates this year got a little squeezed but I ended up booking new The Queen Anne for our first Fjords cruise next July.

They're doing some decent OBC offers at the moment that brought price parity with P&O for what we wanted (gratuities aside). Actually the deal was really good, the issue is that it's in the school holidays which made the deal even stranger 😬 but I'm hoping they're all little angels. When we last went on Britannia that was also in the summer holidays, it was full of teachers😆...to be fair we hardly even noticed the children.

Anyway I better have a mooch over on the Cunard forum and start asking some really silly questions. 

Have a great time... we've jsut retired so no more school holiday cruises for us.. thank you God. 😊 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have a great time... we've jsut retired so no more school holiday cruises for us.. thank you God. 😊 

This is the daft thing, we're retired as well🤣. I'm hoping that 1.They won't be that attracted to a Cunard ship 2.The Fjords aren't that inspiring for kids 3.The parents of the little buggers will still have to pay gratuities for the kids. 4. They'll all be on Iona or RCL 😆  ..obviously none of that will happen and it will be rammed with them. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, doog442 said:

This is the daft thing, we're retired as well🤣. I'm hoping that 1.They won't be that attracted to a Cunard ship 2.The Fjords aren't that inspiring for kids 3.The parents of the little buggers will still have to pay gratuities for the kids. 4. They'll all be on Iona or RCL 😆  ..obviously none of that will happen and it will be rammed with them. 

This made me laugh. Good luck 🙂

• Haha 1