Luggage size for airlines

Ok... an odd question... we leave on Thurs. for our cruise out of Hong Kong.  My wife bought new luggage, and when we measured them it turns out they are 2 inches too big for the airline's checked luggage regulation.  Our's measures 32 inches by 20 inches, by 12 inches for a total of 64 inches.  The airlines regulation is total of 62 inches or it's "oversized" and incurs an expensive penalty.  I'm hoping that it's simply so close they won't notice, but was wondering... anyone has any experience with this?  

United can sometimes be picky, Delta is generally more lenient. Another question - are you flying business class? Generally the luggage allowance restrictions are geared to passengers in coach with higher class service having a different (and more generous) set of rules. When you check in, if flying in biz make sure you use the priority lane because in my experience, the agents working in these lanes  are more accommodating and tend to look the other way for small infractions.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

United can sometimes be picky, Delta is generally more lenient. Another question - are you flying business class? Generally the luggage allowance restrictions are geared to passengers in coach with higher class service having a different (and more generous) set of rules. When you check in, if flying in biz make sure you use the priority lane because in my experience, the agents working in these lanes  are more accommodating and tend to look the other way for small infractions.

Thanks.  Yes, we are in Business Class.  I'm sure I'm just stressing over nothing, but it did put a new wrinkle in our planning.  We fly First Class from ATL-SFO with 13 hour layover in SFO then Business Class to HKG, all on United.  Our return is HND-ATL. on Delta.  My real gut feeling is that since we're only talking about 2-4 inches total they likely won't notice.  Oh well... if we have to pay it, we have to pay it.  😎

My wife is having the same concerns - we've never had issues packing before but we need to take extra bags on our upcoming cruise and we're on Latam for the first time - and they've sent several emails with their luggage restrictions.  And like you, we have a bag or two that are 'slightly' over the limit.  I've never really had any issues in the past with size restrictions so I'm not too concerned, but the better half is stressed over this.  I'm hoping these are close enough that no one looks too closely...

• Like 1

It may just depend upon the person who is checking you in at the airline counter.  Recently my wife and I flew Delta we each had a checked bag and a carry-on.  We got the message on the baggage drop kiosk at the airport that the flight was full and that we should consider checking any carry-on at no cost.  So we paid the fee to check the checked bag (one each) and selected the option to check the carry-on at no cost (one each) and then waited in line for the next available agent at the check-in desk. 

Delta had an agent at the front of the line directing each party to the next available agent.  She sent us to the counter where a very snippy agent sighed and said "I'll be with you in a few minutes."  Mind you, he had already finished with the previous party, their bags were gone and there was nothing left for him to do before helping the next passenger.  He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.  But we just smiled and waited patiently during which time a young lady came to the computer terminal next to him and began helping customers.  She was able to check baggage for two other parties and start helping a third while our agent kept checking his watch.  He finally told us to put each bag on the scale.  No problem with each the checked bags we paid for but when he got to the first carry-on, in a very condescending voice he said "do you really think you can check that for free?"  The agent next to him actually looked over at us and rolled her eyes.  I replied "yes, that is what the kiosk offered since it is a full flight."  Well he produced a tape measure and measured each dimension, telling us that our carry-on bags were one inch taller than their permitted carry-on size.  He then tore off the baggage tags the kiosk had printed, printed new ones, stuck them around the handles and told us that those two carry-ons would be $40.00 each to check (on top of the $30 each we had paid at the kiosk for our checked-bags. 

Considering how unprofessional he was, I probably should have just said "no, thanks" and carried them to the gate.  But it turned out that he was correct that our carry-on bags (that we have taken onboard for over 20 yrs without a single issue) were in fact one inch too tall (with the wheels and handle).  I had never actually measured them since they were advertised as "carry-on" when we bought them decades ago.  So I just paid the $80.00 without comment and chalked it up as something that happens from time to time when traveling.   Maybe the agent was having a bad day, maybe he didn't like the way we looked, or maybe he is just one of those people who thrives on exerting the tiny bit of power and authority he actually has.  Needless to say, when I received a post-flight survey from Delta I let them know in no uncertain terms how unprofessional the check-in counter agent was.  I've got a number of close friends who currently work for, or retired from, Delta.  Based upon what I know about the culture of customer service at Delta, I suspect that if our agent continues to display that type of attitude and lack of professionalism with customers, he won't remain with Delta for long.

So it will ultimately come down to who the agent is who checks your bags.  Happily for us, in many decades of flying, this was the first issue we had with sizing of baggage.  But if you want to be certain not to have an issue you could always consider returning that luggage for luggage that meets the most common size restrictions.  🙂

• Like 3

My suggestion - make sure the suitcase is not overweight because that will catch their attention before any oversized suitcase. Do not draw any extra attention to the bag when placing on the scale.

United is generally the most strict but I have not noticed any problems when in the “elite” line checking in luggage.

IF you have any concerns I would see if you can check your bag on line and just pick up the tags at the kiosk at the airport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alexandria said:

Happily for us, in many decades of flying, this was the first issue we had with sizing of baggage.  But if you want to be certain not to have an issue you could always consider returning that luggage for luggage that meets the most common size restrictions.  🙂

Wouldn't it be nice if you bought a bag that was advertised as 'carry-on sized' and it was too big for the airlines you could send an invoice for the oversized bag fee to the manufacturer and have them pay it?  😆

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

Wouldn't it be nice if you bought a bag that was advertised as 'carry-on sized' and it was too big for the airlines you could send an invoice for the oversized bag fee to the manufacturer and have them pay it?  😆

Yep and even now many luggage companies list a bag as "carry-on" that is larger than the permitted carry-on size for most (if not all) carriers.

Regarding carry on luggage - that was a big deal a number of years back when the size dimensions were reduced for all airlines. At the time there was a huge conspiracy theory that the luggage makers were working with the airlines to change the regulations since many of us had to purchase new carryons. About 50% of the time the old size luggage will fit in the overhead but not on the newer planes. I get really annoyed when someone has managed to bring an oversized bag onboard and in order to make it fit has to position it in such a way that no one else can use the bin. Sometimes the TA will notice and require the bag be gate checked so that those who did bring regulation sized luggage can use the bin and not have to gate check their luggage.

I believe that Southwest has a more generous approach to carryon bags and allows bags larger than the other airlines. Therefore, when the luggage companies claim that their carryons meet the size regulations of airlines, they are correct because of Southwest. Unless the bag is on the smaller size, I do not think any luggage maker advertise that their carryons meet the regulations of ALL airlines, just a general claim that can be misleading to some, esp. for those who have flown or fly very infrequently.

On another travel site this was discussed over many months