LIVE * Discovery * 4-day West Coast Getaway

HBCcruiser

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for doing another Live from! Bon Voyage and enjoy your sailing!"

HBCcruiser was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 10 points.

Welcome to a LIVE review of our 4-day winter getaway cruise on the Discovery out of LA. I work in education and our schools are closed for President’s Day, so this cruise fit into my work schedule perfectly - not to mention the fact that I am finally retiring this year in June 🥳 🥳, so this is a retirement celebration cruise for me!  This cruise I am sailing with a long-time college friend )I call her "E") from the East Coast. We raised some H#ll in the past and have not gotten to see each other for many years, so this should be a fun reunion/retirement trip! 🥂

In 2022 I sailed on the Discovery and really enjoyed the ship and crew. Most of my cruises as of late have been on RCI or NCL so it will be interesting to see if/how much Princess has changed over the last year and a half. This will be my first time sailing with the Premiere Package too. We upgraded to the Premiere Package because we both enjoy premium wines and spirits, plus we are foodies who enjoy the specialty dining. We plan to also take advantage of the photo package by hamming it up! Last time I was on the Discovery I won $250 with Princess Prizes so we shall see how that plays out this cruise. My hopes are not high for winning anything though. Still, it is fun to play!

The weather is showing mostly sunny weather and in the mid 60’s over the four days which is normal for SoCal this time of year. We had one of those “Pineapple Express” rainstorms (STORM WATCH 2024!) move through last week, so I am really hoping for clear skies. Of course, the weather doesn’t really matter because – I’m going on a CRUISE!

This cruise stops in San Diego (day 2) and Ensenada (day 4).  

ScreenShot2024-01-31at8_11_27AM.thumb.jpeg.2619a15ee2525b9b990c97134d89c5f5.jpeg

• Like 6

Our dining reservations are:

Day 1: Catch (I am excited to try this new restaurant!)
Day 2: Crown Grill
Day 3: 360
Day 4: Sabatini’s

I have not decided whether we should go to Gigi’s for lunch on Day 1 embarkation or hit up the main dining room. What do you think? I do love that orange souffle, but the veal/parmesan-stuffed pasta pockets... 😍 

On our Sea Day we could go to Gigi’s OR they are offering the Crab Shack. Which do you all prefer? Decisions... decisions...

• Like 3

This cruise has been sold out for about a month. Schools are out so I anticipate a lot of families onboard. We plan on getting to the terminal early because I know how small the LA terminals are.  I don’t think the terminal is open until 10:00, so I am hoping if we get there around 10 we won’t have to wait outside too long.  We live really close to the port – about 40 minutes – and plan on leaving our car parked in the lot right by the terminal. It is so easy IMO. 

Our excursions are: 

Hop-on Hop-off in San Diego. I want to spend some time in Coronado and Old Town.

ScreenShot2024-01-31at8_11_54AM.thumb.jpeg.6f0175df1669387042cbfebf38ebc0a4.jpeg

ScreenShot2024-01-31at8_12_10AM.thumb.jpeg.d19e384df38bac03a039fe00d9530bed.jpeg

In Ensenada we are going wine tasting in Valle de Guadalupe (private tour through Viator). I plan on using the same driver we used in December on our Bliss NYE cruise. He is fabulous!  We select the wineries with his input and off we go. I made Opentable resys for the few that require them - Vinos Lechuza for 10:00 AM and BRUMA Wine garden at 12:15 PM.  In between and afterwards we plan on hitting a few others like Magoni and Vinesterra. Not many wineries open at 10:00 AM. Most open at 11:00 AM so keep that in mind if you plan on wine tasting. 

• Like 2

Medallions and things: 

-    We received our email stating that our Medallions had been shipped on January 26, 2024 – 20 days before our cruise. They arrived on January 30th roughly two weeks before disembarkation. 

IMG_5274.thumb.jpeg.b81fb24830eb3476c5e44043a67957b3.jpeg

-    We are in the Green Lane.

-    I found out on Friday that we won an upgrade from an S4 to an S3 – a week prior to the cruise. I put in a low bid - $200 a while ago and completely forgot about it - not kidding. I received an email from my TA entitled “Reservation” and ATTN: with the resy number. I immediately thought, “Oh crappola are they cancelling our cruise?” When I viewed the attached reservation notice I saw the cabin change. A few minutes later I received the “Yay you got your stateroom upgrade” email from Princess. What an unexpected surprise. E has no idea. I plan on surprising her!  

• Like 3

Questions to answer:

1.    Will I get reimbursed for 360? I booked this cruise way before December 1, 2023 and booked 360 via the App. 

2.    How are the perks with the Premier Package? Worth it? 

3.    Have there been many changes in service, food, etc.…since I last sailed with Princess over a year+ ago?

4.    What should my first drink be? THIS is important! 

5.    Where should we eat lunch on embarkation day – Gigi’s or the MDR? 

6.    Will we win a prize?

Any others I should consider? 

PREMIER PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

I can guarantee that we will not be participating in any of the free fitness classes 😆. The rest look interesting and fun to try. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 8.26.36 AM.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Our dining reservations are:

Day 1: Catch (I am excited to try this new restaurant!)
Day 2: Crown Grill
Day 3: 360
Day 4: Sabatini’s

I have not decided whether we should go to Gigi’s for lunch on Day 1 embarkation or hit up the main dining room. What do you think? I do love that orange souffle, but the veal/parmesan-stuffed pasta pockets... 😍 

On our Sea Day we could go to Gigi’s OR they are offering the Crab Shack. Which do you all prefer? Decisions... decisions...

I definitely recommend the Catch .. perfect choice.  
They have offered the Crab Shack for lunch in the GastroPub area on a sea day on my recent cruises on the Discovery.  For me, I would hit up GiGi’s on embarkation day.  
What day is your sea day?  I wouldn’t want a big lunch only to be followed by a big dinner and from what it sounds like, you have all big dinners planned, so I would skip the Crab Shack.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"E" is supposed to arrive tomorrow around 11:30 AM. She is flying in from PA. I think that big snow storm will be gone by then so hopefully her flight is not delayed. HOWEVER, she booked a flight with only a 45 minute layover in DFW! That is very risky. Luckily, there are other flights she can jump on in case she misses the connection to LA. Our plan is to enjoy Hermosa Beach tomorrow afternoon and grab a bite at either Pamilla or Tower 12. It is Valentine's Day so booking a fancy restaurant is out of the question. $$$!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I definitely recommend the Catch .. perfect choice.  
They have offered the Crab Shack for lunch in the GastroPub area on a sea day on my recent cruises on the Discovery.  For me, I would hit up GiGi’s on embarkation day.  
What day is your sea day?  I wouldn’t want a big lunch only to be followed by a big dinner and from what it sounds like, you have all big dinners planned, so I would skip the Crab Shack.  

Yeh, I am leaning towards Gigi's on embarkation day too. Our sea day is day 3 which is the same day we are doing 360 so GOOD POINT! Eat lighter that day. How was the Crab Shack? 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Questions to answer:

1.    Will I get reimbursed for 360? I booked this cruise way before December 1, 2023 and booked 360 via the App. 

2.    How are the perks with the Premier Package? Worth it? 

3.    Have there been many changes in service, food, etc.…since I last sailed with Princess over a year+ ago?

4.    What should my first drink be? THIS is important! 

5.    Where should we eat lunch on embarkation day – Gigi’s or the MDR? 

6.    Will we win a prize?

Any others I should consider? 

PREMIER PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

I can guarantee that we will not be participating in any of the free fitness classes 😆. The rest look interesting and fun to try. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 8.26.36 AM.jpeg

For us, the premier package is definitely worth it if you like nicer wines and top shelf liquor.  The casual dining is what we think is the most important perk but there are just so many days on your cruise to really take advantage of them all.  If you’ve already used your two specialty dining options reserved (and you have 3), personally, I wouldn’t also book the Crab Shack.  

I’ve heard that Princess is suggesting booking the 360° now to make sure you get a reserved spot.  Then, go to the front desk or suite concierge to be sure to get a refund.  

I always get one (2 at most) baccarat martini during each cruise.  I have them mix it with half the amount of purée and no sugared rim as I don’t love sweet drinks.  But this one is now a tradition.  No better way to start a cruise.  

We book the premier package often and haven’t seen a prize (for us) in quite some time.  The most I ever won was $25.  However, they may not be giving them out for those that cruise as often as we do so, the fact that you haven’t cruised in over a year might bode well for you.  My cousin won $5000 last year and a friend of mine won a free cruise for 2 just a couple of months ago.  Neither cruise very often, so who knows.  

The food and service are fabulous on the Discovery and we’ve cruised with them 3 times in the last few months.  

GiGi’s definitely for embarkation lunch and don’t forget to go try Ocean Terrace if you love sushi.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I would dine at Gigi's for embarkation day. 

The lunch embarkation MDR was a disappointment last month, all the same items, but ravioli appetizer and salmon entree were subpar. 

Agree with @Cruise Raider - pace yourself for the 360 menu!

Looks like the Gigi votes have it! Thanks! I forgot how much food is included in 360. We may skip lunch all together and just enjoy the yummy eggs Benedict in the morning. 🥂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

My cousin won $5000 last year and a friend of mine won a free cruise for 2 just a couple of months ago.  Neither cruise very often, so who knows.  

😳🙏🙏

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yeh, I am leaning towards Gigi's on embarkation day too. Our sea day is day 3 which is the same day we are doing 360 so GOOD POINT! Eat lighter that day. How was the Crab Shack? 

I didn’t try it as we love the Catch by Rudi so much and they are priced the same ..  one for lunch and one is for dinner.  The same service team for the Catch runs the Crab Shack.  
The Catch has a much better menu IMO.  
Maybe just get a small plate at the sushi bar .. even if you don’t like raw fish, they have both California rolls and vegetable rolls.  Since you have the premier package, they are really great at adjusting what you can order.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I didn’t try it as we love the Catch by Rudi so much and they are priced the same ..  one for lunch and one is for dinner.  The same service team for the Catch runs the Crab Shack.  
The Catch has a much better menu IMO.  

Interesting. I had no idea the two were similar and connected like that. Good to know - thanks! I am excited to try the Catch. I have not heard ANY bad reviews on it - and that is really RARE on CC and FB 😂. I am not really a sushi eater - Blasphemy, I know! A California girl not liking sushi??!  E may like it though. I'll take a look at the menu. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

4 day cruise - check

$80 to upgrade to Premier - check

2 specialty  dinners = $80 - check

Not to mention all the top wines and spirits we will drink! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

So THAT 👆 sounds yummy! What's in it? 

I discovered it when on the Diamond Princess because their wine choices were sooo very limited.  
it is made with 

- blackberry brandy

- raspberry vodka 

- frangelico 

- raspberry purée (ask for half that amount so it’s less sweet)

- cream 

Shaken well with ice (so there are a few ice chips floating when they pour it into your martini glass) and I request no sugar on the rim.  

It is so yummmmmmmy!  But it is a boozy drink so, I just get one.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I discovered it when on the Diamond Princess because their wine choices were sooo very limited.  
it is made with 

- blackberry brandy

- raspberry vodka 

- frangelico 

- raspberry purée (ask for half that amount so it’s less sweet)

- cream 

Shaken well with ice (so there are a few ice chips floating when they pour it into your martini glass) and I request no sugar on the rim.  

It is so yummmmmmmy!  But it is a boozy drink so, I just get one.  

Oh man! That sounds amazing! I just added it to my Discovery Cruise Notes. Which bar is the best to get it? Crooners?

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Interesting. I had no idea the two were similar and connected like that. Good to know - thanks! I am excited to try the Catch. I have not heard ANY bad reviews on it - and that is really RARE on CC and FB 😂. I am not really a sushi eater - Blasphemy, I know! A California girl not liking sushi??!  E may like it though. I'll take a look at the menu. 

Actually, it was only while on the Discovery when I first tried sushi last year.  I never thought I would like it either but they do such a good job making sure you will like it, they start you off slowly.  Now, I even have my DH eating it.  
I just order the edamame and a vegetable or California maki roll.  Neither of us are fans of raw fish.  Oh, and both of us would starve if we had to count on chop sticks so, we always request a fork.  😆 
They have those items called hamachi tacos for an extra coast and can make them all vegetarian, as well.  

I can’t imagine a bad review about The Catch.  It is, by far, the best restaurant I’ve ever eaten at, on land or at sea!  The Winemaker’s dinner on the Royal came in at a close second.  I don’t eat any red meat so, the Catch is right up my alley .. and my DH orders a filet mignon or lobster there and loves it, as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1