LIVE * Discovery * 4-day West Coast Getaway

HBCcruiser

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Oh man! That sounds amazing! I just added it to my Discovery Cruise Notes. Which bar is the best to get it? Crooners?

Either Crooners (with Lhei) or at the Gastropub Bar (with Francis).  Both of them make it perfectly! 
It really is amazing!  
Also, ask for the nicer champagne since you have the premier package .. it’s really quite nice!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Actually, it was only while on the Discovery when I first tried sushi last year.  I never thought I would like it either but they do such a good job making sure you will like it, they start you off slowly.  Now, I even have my DH eating it.  
I just order the edamame and a vegetable or California maki roll.  Neither of us are fans of raw fish.  Oh, and both of us would starve if we had to count on chop sticks so, we always request a fork.  😆 
They have those items called hamachi tacos for an extra coast and can make them all vegetarian, as well.  

I can’t imagine a bad review about The Catch.  It is, by far, the best restaurant I’ve ever eaten at, on land or at sea!  The Winemaker’s dinner on the Royal came in at a close second.  I don’t eat any red meat so, the Catch is right up my alley .. and my DH orders a filet mignon or lobster there and loves it, as well. 

Are you sure we are not related? I am the same - can't for the life of me use chopsticks despite multiple lessons from my DH and DDs. 😂 AND my FAVORITE so far was the Winemakers Dinner on the Royal. I loved 360 but a lot of that was the presentation. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Also, ask for the nicer champagne since you have the premier package .. it’s really quite nice!

But of course! 🥂 That and I'm bringing a bottle (or 2) onboard with me. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Looks like the Gigi votes have it! Thanks! I forgot how much food is included in 360. We may skip lunch all together and just enjoy the yummy eggs Benedict in the morning. 🥂

BTW, the lunch/brunch menu is no longer the one from last year so not sure they still have eggs Benedict.  Instead, they have a constant small plate menu along with some other menu items that change.  I love the small plate menu, though.  
The chicken street tacos and calamari … ooooo yum!  Don’t let the description fool you .. they aren’t really small plates.  

IMG_1785.png

IMG_1784.png

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

BTW, the lunch/brunch menu is no longer the one from last year so not sure they still have eggs Benedict.

Oh say it ain't so! Even the suite breakfast in Sabatini's? 

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

@HBCcruiser Great start to what sounds like an amazing cruise. I will be on Discovery on Feb 24 with the premier package and will follow your LIVE closely. I like the way you write and organize things. Thanks for taking time share your adventure. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Wait what? Where'd you get those cards? I need some!

Bought them at Crooners a very long time ago,don’t think they sell them anymore.

We love the wineries outside of Ensenada too. Enjoy your retirement cruise.

• Thanks 1

Just now, arizonaperson said:

don’t think they sell them anymore.

Guess I'll be hitting up Ebay for those. Just like the cruise ship ornaments that are IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!! I just don't understand why they can't sell these things online. They'd make bank! 

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I discovered it when on the Diamond Princess because their wine choices were sooo very limited.  
it is made with 

- blackberry brandy

- raspberry vodka 

- frangelico 

- raspberry purée (ask for half that amount so it’s less sweet)

- cream 

Shaken well with ice (so there are a few ice chips floating when they pour it into your martini glass) and I request no sugar on the rim.  

It is so yummmmmmmy!  But it is a boozy drink so, I just get one.  

I wonder if this would taste good with almond milk in place of the cream. I can’t have cream but this really sounds delicious. 

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Are you sure we are not related? I am the same - can't for the life of me use chopsticks despite multiple lessons from my DH and DDs. 😂 AND my FAVORITE so far was the Winemakers Dinner on the Royal. I loved 360 but a lot of that was the presentation. 

If you like your wine from a thin rimmed glass and your cappuccino in a proper ceramic cup, I’m am sure we have some shared heritage.  I worked and live in an all Asian community and so have tried to learn the trick of chopsticks by the best of the best.  Nope, still can’t do it.  I can stab it is the sushi is rolled tight enough.  😆 

Anyway, at the Catch, I highly recommend the lobster tail in a citrus foam, the calamari and the crab cake as appetizers.  The concerto is my absolute favorite as a main. I never have room for dessert.  Ovidiu is the restaurant manger and is absolutely outstanding!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Oh say it ain't so! Even the suite breakfast in Sabatini's? 

I totally forgot you mentioned you were in a suite.  Yes, I’m sure they will have eggs Benedict there for you.  It’s been a long time since we’ve had a suite, but I always got those potatoes topped with a poached egg and hollandaise in that little glass bowl.  Yummmmmm .. just thinking about how good those are!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you like your wine from a thin rimmed glass and your cappuccino in a proper ceramic cup, I’m am sure we have some shared heritage.  

YUP! Sisters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Bought them at Crooners a very long time ago,don’t think they sell them anymore.

We love the wineries outside of Ensenada too. Enjoy your retirement cruise.

Coming from wine country, I can honestly say that we loved the wineries out in Guadalupe Valley, especially L.A. Cetto.  Some impressive wines and facilities there!  

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement! I’m looking forward to following along!

I also celebrated retirement on a Princess Cruise. They sang Happy Retirement to me in the CG which I recorded and shared on social media. I hadn’t really told many people so that was a fun post. 😊

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I wonder if this would taste good with almond milk in place of the cream. I can’t have cream but this really sounds delicious. 

I am sure it would .. you can taste the nutty flavor from the frangelico so, think that would compliment it perfectly.  I’d go to good spirits it get it as they have the almond milk available nearby.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Downside of Premiere package - photos!  

LOL! On the contrary. We LOVE to ham it up! These are some samples of the types of photos we take onboard - including one we took with the photographer on a RCI ship. Way too fun!

IMG_7940.thumb.JPG.a728bd51b6c3fcaaf1e7b3768e830ebe.JPG

IMG_7919.thumb.JPG.0824bb6de5ac6e3602902603b5394490.JPG

IMG_7939.thumb.JPG.c609487f2d3e1b6909b904c676b4482f.JPG

• Like 8

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Medallions and things: 

-    We received our email stating that our Medallions had been shipped on January 26, 2024 – 20 days before our cruise. They arrived on January 30th roughly two weeks before disembarkation. 

-    We are in the Green Lane.

-    I found out on Friday that we won an upgrade from an S4 to an S3 – a week prior to the cruise. I put in a low bid - $200 a while ago and completely forgot about it - not kidding. I received an email from my TA entitled “Reservation” and ATTN: with the resy number. I immediately thought, “Oh crappola are they cancelling our cruise?” When I viewed the attached reservation notice I saw the cabin change. A few minutes later I received the “Yay you got your stateroom upgrade” email from Princess. What an unexpected surprise. E has no idea. I plan on surprising her!  

Ok, for someone that's never sailed on Princess, what exactly are those medallion thingies used for? Are they your room cards? How do you even carry that - is it like a marble thingy, or does it fit onto a watch band/bracelet thing?

Peeked at the deck plan for your ship, and those corner suites look amazing. So much room to spread out and just soak in the relaxing sun. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

PREMIER PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

I can guarantee that we will not be participating in any of the free fitness classes 😆. The rest look interesting and fun to try. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 8.26.36 AM.jpeg

More noobie questions - what's OceanNow? Casual dining... is that like specialty dining that you don't need to be dressed fancy for, or places that are normally for a fee but open at lunch time? And premium desserts.... limited to only 2 per day? Or are these fancy mega crazy milkshake things which normally cost extra but you now get for free?

I'm with you on the skipping of the fitness classes, but I'll be eagerly waiting for photos of those premium desserts that I'mma gonna try an' fit this into my mouth. 🤤

• Like 1