Millenium bus accident

Gypsea

Some of the family members have been posting on the Sticky on the Celebrity board and have been reading Cruise Critic this evening for updates. Apparently it was one large group from a retirement community in New Jersey.

I jsut read about grief councling. They will need alot of it. Art Kovar had over 60 people traveling with him from our community with him. I can't imagine how they will go on with this trip. Pat

I'm Art and Frieda's daughter-in-law married to their son Mark. I can't image what's going on with the people that he took on the cruise. We are very shaken and can't believe it's true.

Eileen

Eileen, please accept my deepest sympathy over the death of your in laws. Believe me "The Ponds" grieves with you. Pat

Thank you Pat and I'll pass it on to the my husband, his sisters, and their grandchildren.

Eileen

I am from the NCL site and I just want the families of these wonderful people to know that I am praying right now for all of them. We also need to pray very strongly for the nurses and doctors taking care of those 2 remaining survivors. I am sure they are getting the best care possible but we really need to allbe praying for those people taking care of them that God will guide their hands.

My in-laws were killed on that bus crash today. They were on a private excursion with their friends from their retirement village in NJ who were also killed. You all have been wonderful and kept us informed. We have talked to Celebrity and filled them in with information from the board. Celebrity could not be more helpful and supportive. Celebrity called around 8:30 PM eastern time to inform us.

We are pretty much in shock but I'll keep you posted as soon as we know more.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Eileen

Thoughts and prayers are with you from just up the Parkway a bit.

While I am happy that the dead were not from the cruise critic family, there were close friends and neighbors of mine. These people lived in our community in NJ. Art Kovar ran this trip for one of the organizations that are in our community. His wife Frieda was in my exercise class. Carol Ruckelman was my neighbor 3 doors away. Barbara Rubin and her husband Robert were to have their 50th wedding anniversary party on May28. The invitation sits on my fridge right now. Barbara was my bowling partner. Hans and Maria Eggers were the best polka dancers you would have ever seen. Hans was our resident handyman. Any job anyone needed to be done he could do. They too would have been married 50 years this October. Please keep these people in your prayers and pray for their children and their grandchildren. Our community has suffered a great loss. Pat

Pat, our thoughts and prayers are extended to you, your friends and families.

It is a tragedy that so many were lost in your NJ community. And thank you for sharing at this tragic time, the heart touching story of the relationships they all shared.

And they are a part of the Cruise Critic Family.......because they loved to cruise and they shared it together.

Eileen - We are so sorry for your and your family's loss. May God grant you strength during this trying time. Our prayers are with you.

Words cannot express the saddness and sympathy for the families, the friends, the fellow passengers, and the crew over this tragedy. May God be with everyone touched by this accident.

While I am happy that the dead were not from the cruise critic family, there were close friends and neighbors of mine. These people lived in our community in NJ. Art Kovar ran this trip for one of the organizations that are in our community. His wife Frieda was in my exercise class. Carol Ruckelman was my neighbor 3 doors away. Barbara Rubin and her husband Robert were to have their 50th wedding anniversary party on May28. The invitation sits on my fridge right now. Barbara was my bowling partner. Hans and Maria Eggers were the best polka dancers you would have ever seen. Hans was our resident handyman. Any job anyone needed to be done he could do. They too would have been married 50 years this October. Please keep these people in your prayers and pray for their children and their grandchildren. Our community has suffered a great loss. Pat

Pat,

I am so sorry for all of your losses.

May you seek comfort from the Lord. He loves you so.

I will pray for you tonight.

This was just received from Celebrity Cruises and is also available on their website. Celebrity Tragedy

There really aren't words to describe how horrible of an incident this is. I'm sure RCI is working closely with them being the sister company.

March 22, 2006

Dear Travel Partner,

I am writing to inform you of events involving several guests onboard

Celebrity Cruises’ Millennium® that occurred earlier today.

Preliminary information indicates that 11 guests were killed and three

injured in the accident that occurred near Arica, Chile. The guests were on

an independent private tour, not affiliated with the cruise line.

The accident occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. local time. The injured

have been taken to a local hospital. A doctor, nurse and concierge from

Millennium have been sent to the hospital to assist the injured and local

medical authorities.

Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19, on a 14-night sailing

that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2. Today’s

accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise and the ship will remain

in Arica, Chile, until further notice. The ship was carrying approximately

1,536 guests and 920 crew members.

Celebrity Cruises has established two toll-free phone lines for family

members of guests sailing on this cruise. Callers in North America should

dial 1-888-829-4050. Callers from outside North America should dial the

following number collect 305-539-4050. These numbers are for family members

only, and the company requests that the general public not use these

numbers so family members of those onboard the ship may receive information

in a timely manner.

Celebrity Cruises Vice President for Marine Operations John Krousouloudis

is leading a special assistance team from the company that is being

dispatched to the ship to help its guests and crew.

Celebrity Cruises reported the incident to the U.S. Consulate, U.S. Coast

Guard, and Bahamian authorities. The company is working in close

coordination with those organizations and Chilean authorities to assist the

injured and those onboard the ship.

The cause of the accident has not been determined, and Celebrity Cruises

will be actively involved in the investigation.

We will continue to provide additional information regarding this matter as

it becomes available. Information also will be posted on the Celebrity

Cruises web site at www.celebrity.com.

I know all of us share the pain and anguish of this terrible event. I hope

you will join me as we extend our most heartfelt thoughts and prayers to

everyone who was involved in the accident, as well as their family and

friends.

Sincerely,

Daniel Hanrahan

President

Celebrity Cruises

Eileen and Pat: Words can not express how heavy my heart feels at your loss. Please know that your Cruise Critic family joins in your grief and will be there for whatever support you will ever want or need. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

We're from the Royal Caribbean board and wanted all those affected to know that you will be in Lili (DW) and my prayers this week. I mentioned it on the RCI board that we may chide each other once in awhile but we really are one big family.

Our prayers will ask that God comforts all of you in your loss.

Mike and Lili

My in-laws were killed on that bus crash today. They were on a private excursion with their friends from their retirement village in NJ who were also killed. You all have been wonderful and kept us informed. We have talked to Celebrity and filled them in with information from the board. Celebrity could not be more helpful and supportive. Celebrity called around 8:30 PM eastern time to inform us.

We are pretty much in shock but I'll keep you posted as soon as we know more.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Eileen

Hello Eileen....

I wanted to offer you and your entire Family our deepest sympathy on the loss of your in-laws and their dear friends. Not only from me and my Family, but from all of us here at Cruise Critic. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

To All The Families & Friends affected by this tragedy,

It is always sad when a loved one is taken away so suddenly. Our prayers, thoughts and love is wished upon you through this difficult period. May God bless and strengthen all of you. Remember that you are not alone, everyone is walking with you in spirit.

I hope that you will find comfort.

God Bless,

Michelle & Michael

Hi Pat....

I am very sorry for the loss of your dear friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult time.

Archived