Millenium bus accident

Gypsea

Just saw on the news that a bus tour from the Mille had an accident in Bolivia . anyone hear of this? it was on our local news. My thoughts and prayers are with these people. Lorelle

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) - A bus carrying cruise ship tourists tumbled down a mountain ravine in northern Chile Wednesday, killing 11 people, including some believed to be U.S. residents, officials said.

Several other passengers were injured in the crash along a rugged highway near the Pacific port city of Arica, 1,250 miles north of Santiago, said Juan Carlos Poli, an Arica city hall spokesman.

"We have confirmed 11 people killed," Poli said. He said some of the dead were thought to be from the United States but did not have an exact number or identities.

The crash occurred as the tourists returned to their Bahamas-registered Millennium cruise ship after visiting the nearby Lauca National Park.

"We still do not know the causes of the accident, but the road in that was has several cliffs and is very curvy," Poli told the Associated Press by telephone.

He said it was not immediately known how many people were on board the bus, which had a capacity for 54 passengers.

--

Oh dear. There are a regular or two from here on board Millie now. Also, my travel agents are on board with a large group. From the article it seems that it was an excursion bus.

Extra prayers tonight.

Oh dear. There are a regular or two from here on board Millie now. Also, my travel agents are on board with a large group. From the article it seems that it was an excursion bus.

Extra prayers tonight.

florisdekort & scapel are both on this cruise.

List of known Cruise Critic members on board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6083643&postcount=807

We will pray for them and the 11 poor souls who died and the injured. I am sure the mood on the ship is heavy. The bridge cam shows the ship still in port in Arica in the dark at 8 pm or so.

StampImage.aspx?Id=DA03FAC1-28AC-471F-86E9-66C4EB475167&Format=F

Here is a list I pulled from the roll call for the cruise:

Final List To Print- Cruise Critic Millennium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. hollytreecruiser: Nancy & Charlie from TX doing 3 BTB (Includes Carnival Cruise)

2. Cruize Aholic: Ginny & Karl , Central, Fl doing BTB

3. . Hebe: - Deb and Joseph from Outside of Philadelphia,PA (Cabin 7212) BTB --traveling with friends Marc and David. Looking forward to seeing our Previous Trans friends -- Jean/Phil Joe/Jan Vance/Beryl Rex/Tom. Doing the March 5th Cruise also

4. Woodturner: - Fran & Joe from Moorpark, Ca Cabin 7181 BTB

5. florisdekort: Amnon & Floris from San Francisco, CA BTB

6. Sunnygal: Joyce & Dan from Tucson, AZ (BTB) Cabin 8131

7. begood2me: Dave and Marc BTB

8. Scapel: Joe & Jan from Louisiana -cabin 7206 traveling with friends Vance & Beryl from Blackpool, Eng.

9. lddam: - Marcia and Dave from Wappingers Falls, NY (90 miles north NYC)

10. Bestz5403: - Ann and Ira from Miami, FL Cabin 8086

11. JoanP: Joan & Jules, Suzanne & Marilyn, and Lauren & Barbara (South Florida)

12. Mandy and Charlie from Manchester, NH traveling with Al and Kathy from Illinois.

13. sandy3: Dixie & Stan from Wichita, KS.

14. . Zeke81: Linda & Arlen , Wichita, KS (anniversary) Cabin 7102-- with three other couples Judy and LeRoy from Georgetown, TX (his retirement), Fran and Dave from Wichita (first time cruisers), and McGees.

15. . desktopdetective: - Cathy from Huntington Beach CA, traveling with a friend, Toni, from Long Beach CA

16. . Jellybee:- John & Gerri Fallows, Ontario, travelling with Gerri's brother Bernie and sister-in-law Rosie from Ontario. Our 25th cruise and Bernie & Rosie's 3rd.

17. GWM Mongo: Rose and Terry from Alberta, Canada and friends

18. Cruiser77: Minna and Mika coming from TX.

19. FastEddy: Ed & Val from Michigan

20. Two Friends:—Alias “The Girls”, Michel & Connie from California

21. Cruisechaos:—Darin and Natalie from San Francisco Bay area, Calif.

22. Jaybee: - Jean & Phil (Orly Hotel) from Sun City, AZ- Cabin 9201

23. Zebras:

24. A-N-T: Tobes & Ang: from Vancouver, Canada

25. Pacruz: Chuck & Marsha (Steeler Country)

26. EOdonnellp: Dean & Des

27. centrum: Rona & Ian from South Florida

28. SueBee0: Sue & Larry from NJ. & friends Dorothy and Jan from Ohio

My prayers will everyone on the ship, on the tour and their familes. What a tragic accident.

Desiree

I just emailed Joe Reynolds (scapel) on the ship and hope to get a reply!

Viator is a pretty big outfit with tours in many cities in many cities around the world. A friend used them in Beijing!

It is likely that they sub-contract the tours to local operators.

I just emailed Joe Reynolds (scapel) on the ship and hope to get a reply!

You may have to wait awhile, a glance at the icafe webcam shows it as standing room only in there.

I was worried about my TA's Marc and David, but I finally remembered that they were disembarking in Arica to take the Machu Picchu excursion. I wonder what time Millie was scheduled to depart, and what time she actually will.

Unfortunately, almost all tours are independantly operated and not by the cruise line no matter what country/cruise line you are on.

Since the article named the excursion as being from the Millie - it may have been a tour that would have been passengers only and originating from the ship.

This is so sad.

Desiree

You may have to wait awhile, a glance at the icafe webcam shows it as standing room only in there.

I was worried about my TA's Marc and David, but I finally remembered that they were disembarking in Arica to take the Machu Picchu excursion. I wonder what time Millie was scheduled to depart, and what time she actually will.

I now remember that Joe was considering going to Machu Picchu too, but his wife Jan might stay on board.

I found next years itinerary that shows a 6 pm departure from Arica. It is now past 9 pm there.

Archived