MDR - Missing Dining Time

regan3

I usually just told my waiters if we weren’t going to be dining there the next night. (Specialty , late port, whatever).

If you don’t show up, it’s not a big deal but it is courteous to let the waiters know if you know IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

I usually just told my waiters if we weren’t going to be dining there the next night. (Specialty , late port, whatever).

If you don’t show up, it’s not a big deal but it is courteous to let the waiters know if you know IMO.

Same. Just advise your waiters the night before. They will appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Same. Just advise your waiters the night before. They will appreciate it.

The waiters will tell their manager so he can seat others at your table for that evening. Makes thing easier all around if the know in advance,

What if you don't know in advance (delayed shore excursions, traffic, etc.)?

Call guest services, contact through app?

Would want to respectful and courteous. 

When on the Eurodam in November we asked the server if we should advise when dining elsewhere & he said no, didn’t matter.  If you have reserved specialty dining they can check but not if you’re just doing Lido.  We are now on the Koningsdam & forgot to mention to our server we’d be dining at the Pinnacle tonight.  I think it’s courteous as well to let them know so I’ll go to the main dining room later to advise & see what they say on this ship. 

If we forget to tell the waiter we sometimes swing by to tell one of the maître d's at the door. Once we told the person staffing the desk which makes reservations for the specialty restaurants. They all have access to the same system. 

It's one of the reasons we don't do fixed dining anymore. We used to do fixed at table of 4 to 6 but found that we missed dinner a few times but  leaving the other passengers to empty seats was also a concern. Now we do "anytime" and no concern for notifying crew or table mates. Plus meet more people each night we dine in MDR. You may be able to mention it in the Navigator app if you can't get to the matre d". But if it's too late in the meal (and you have a shared table), they won't seat anyone else mid meal. If it's table for 2 or less, they won't be concerned. 

If possible, let your waiter know. If your excursion runs late, don't worry about it.

I would also let them know that if you aren't seated by 10 minutes after the doors open, they can just assume you made other arrangements.