ASCENT 2/4 to 2/11/2024 – Awesome – The “Ooops"

To be fair, the first Thread ASCENT 2/4 to 2/11/2024 – Awesome – The “Bests,” we did mention that we would do the "Ooops" also (last sentence in the INTRO).

image.jpeg.6699d2e79990d0b55d17fad350911ea9.jpeg

Here’s the first couple of NON 5-Star "Ooops" ~

OOOPS #1 – The Aqua Class   🌟 🌟 🌟

Totally OUR OWN FAULT for this being an Ooops!!!  These are OUR Ooops. 😔 😟  

The two primary features we see are (1) the SPA access and (2) the BLU dining.

The SPA

After the first day 5-minute tour, we never used or went to the SPA the entire cruise.  I guess we were recalling the Madara Spa on NCL? That is wide open, huge and airy with a very large and extremely well equipped hydro-therapy pool, an entire length of ceramic heated loungers, several rows of relaxing loungers, aromatic, with all of the common rooms for salt, steam etc. This Spa had a really tiny and separate relaxation room, same small ceramic heated loungers and no hydro-therapy pool at all.  AGAIN, 100% OUR FAULT.

BLU Dining

The BLU 'venue' is 'gorgeous.'  The BLU Host and Waitstaff are 'tops.'

For the dining, we really like and preferred the Elite Breakfast in Le Grand Bistro and enjoyed it the last 5 days of the cruise after try BLU the first two. BLU breakfast is nothing special (outside of the venue and staff). Really underwhelming for elegance and choices. Although never went to eat (walked through), Ocean View Cafe had way, way more attractive options (almost unlimited) and, although not as elegant of a venue, a much better view. Also enjoyed Bellini's and Bloody Mary's at the Elite Breakfast.  Finally, the coffee (Americano and Cappuccino) was so superior to BLU (note, these last two relate to not having a beverage package as we could have got in BLU).

For lunch, BLU is not open. We pretty much did and preferred the Eden Cafe. Really a perfect fit for us.

For dinner, BLU was just OK "on average' for the nights we went. Again, relaxing, comfortable (except those darn couch back seating areas near the wall where one could use a couple of pillows behind and one below 😳 There were a couple of spectacular meals for sure, appetizers, entrees and desserts, but overall some nights not so much. We also did not know about the 'always available menu' appetizers and entrees etc. until a guest aside of us ordered such and educated us. Really would have expected to be told such by someone at BLU, or possibly actually put at the bottom of the menus (ours did not).

Going forward (Ascent B2B in December) we'll not do Aqua Class, try some a couple of the MDR's where we looked at the menus for certain nights, add Eden and Raw on 5 a couple of nights and skip if we've had the full lunch at Le Grand Bistro.

• Like 3

We missed doing or seeing alot of things too.  7 days was too short..

I will evetualky end my "Not Quite Live from..."  with a list.. 

Just today I realized we never got our complimentary gelato!  No big deal but we usually go for it!

• Like 1

OOOPS #2 – NO Beverage Package   🌟 🌟 🌟

"MOSTLY" OUR OWN FAULT for this being an Ooops!!!  😔 😟  

We tried to 'go beverage commando' as we were intrigued by the threads and posts about the costs of the Beverage Packages, especially when only one in the stateroom actually drinks and we learned about the Elite benefits for drinks at certain times and places and events.

We purchased about $70 worth of lite beer during the week, generally and mostly as a reward for my 1-1.5 hour walks on the outdoor top walking / running track that is my tradition and $40 bottle of Pinot Noir from Eden. We brought two bottles of my favorite on board.

We shouldn't have done it.  

1. WE believe the wines and alcohol in the Elite benefits are very inferior.

2. WE want a certain drink when we want it, especially at dinner, we did carry in sometimes, but bringing CELEBRITY (THEY) in, it seems absurd to not simply use vouchers or equivalent anywhere, anytime for the Elite benefits or for a single occupant user of a beverage package.

3. THEY treated us differently on too many (not all) occasions. With a package, flip the card, they scan it. Without a package, flip the card, the scan it and GIVE YOU A RECEIPT TO SIGN AND ADD AND ADDITIONAL TIP TO THE ALREADY 18%.

That's just part of it. Upon return (for another) when I didn't TIP ADDITIONALLY on the first time, I didn't get even remotely the same service as others. Sucked. This happened at the main Pool Bar, even in Eden (the last night we had waiters come to our table with 6 of us and actually not even ask just us if we wanted another drink). NASTY. It gets worse.

At the Solarium pool deck a young staff sells out of a cart. Nice kid. I wanted a certain beer that he didn't have. I was OK with substituting, but he was generous to say "I'll get one from the bar." Soon thereafter, a server from the main pool bar came and brought me the beer and gave me the receipt to sign and, of course, add an additional tip. My bad. He sarcastically and nastily said "Oh thank you so very much."  UGH. 

Back to the Premium Beverage Package for Ascent December B2B.  Again, part 'our fault' but 'Celebrity policy' and 'bar staff' are definitely in the 'causal' MIX.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

We missed doing or seeing alot of things too.  7 days was too short..

I will evetualky end my "Not Quite Live from..."  with a list.. 

Just today I realized we never got our complimentary gelato!  No big deal but we usually go for it!

Yep, we tried to stay on.  We only did ONE show!  Have a B2B in December on Ascent to experience some of the rest. 

Thank you. I booked the thermal suite pass for my upcoming Ascent cruise, but I'm thinking of cancelling because I'm not sure I'll use it. Your perspective on that is helpful.

21 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

We tried to 'go beverage commando' as we were intrigued by the threads and posts about the costs of the Beverage Packages, especially when only one in the stateroom actually drinks and we learned about the Elite benefits for drinks at certain times and places and events.

We purchased about $70 worth of lite beer during the week, generally and mostly as a reward for my 1-1.5 hour walks on the outdoor top walking / running track that is my tradition and $40 bottle of Pinot Noir from Eden. We brought two bottles of my favorite on board.

We shouldn't have done it.  

1. WE believe the wines and alcohol in the Elite benefits are very inferior.

2. WE want a certain drink when we want it, especially at dinner, we did carry in sometimes, but bringing CELEBRITY (THEY) in, it seems absurd to not simply use vouchers or equivalent anywhere, anytime for the Elite benefits or for a single occupant user of a beverage package.

3. THEY treated us differently on too many (not all) occasions. With a package, flip the card, they scan it. Without a package, flip the card, the scan it and GIVE YOU A RECEIPT TO SIGN AND ADD AND ADDITIONAL TIP TO THE ALREADY 18%.

That's just part of it. Upon return (for another) when I didn't TIP ADDITIONALLY on the first time, I didn't get even remotely the same service as others. Sucked. This happened at the main Pool Bar, even in Eden (the last night we had waiters come to our table with 6 of us and actually not even ask just us if we wanted another drink). NASTY. It gets worse.

At the Solarium pool deck a young staff sells out of a cart. Nice kid. I wanted a certain beer that he didn't have. I was OK with substituting, but he was generous to say "I'll get one from the bar." Soon thereafter, a server from the main pool bar came and brought me the beer and gave me the receipt to sign and, of course, add an additional tip. My bad. He sarcastically and nastily said "Oh thank you so very much."  UGH. 

Back to the Premium Beverage Package for Ascent December B2B.  Again, part 'our fault' but 'Celebrity policy' and 'bar staff' are definitely in the 'causal' MIX.  

Thanks.  It is nice to know that they treat those without the drink package differently.

For myself I cannot see putting an additional tip on top of the 20% tip.  I will tip the martini bartenders during the cruise as they do an outstanding job.

• Like 2

Disappointing to read that some of the drinks staff treated you differently for not tipping above what was already applied.  Like @NMTraveller, we tend to tip the martini bar tenders because they put on a great show.  It's been so long since we have cruised without a drinks package and even though we have the Elite status as well, I really don't see us sailing without one anytime soon.  We definitely get our money's worth.

As for the thermal suite, I totally concur with your assessment!  As much as we enjoy the Celebrity product, I think they missed the boat when they didn't create a thermal area akin to NCL or even MSC when they introduced the E class ships. The solarium is the closest thing to what those other lines offer, and I do love that they open the area to everyone (16 years plus) but most don't have the hydro-therapy pools, which we really enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As for the thermal suite, I totally concur with your assessment!  As much as we enjoy the Celebrity product, I think they missed the boat when they didn't create a thermal area akin to NCL or even MSC when they introduced the E class ships. The solarium is the closest thing to what those other lines offer, and I do love that they open the area to everyone (16 years plus) but most don't have the hydro-therapy pools, which we really enjoy.

Agreed. 

They sure got a whole lot right on the E Class and we'll be back for many more cruises. I guess our numerous cruise experiences on NCL all with the SPA included spoils the comparison when on board in actually getting to see on Ascent. We would have considered the space allocated to the fitness center for a more open environment, more views, more loungers (heated and relaxation in the dozens) and a hydro-therapy pool to add.

The Solarium is pretty unique to Celebrity and is well done on the E Class ships, although we would like to see higher plexiglass around the hot tubs (conversational noise as if they are talking across the room) and, on sea days (or bath weather days) some kind of hospitality staff oversight of the behavior and demeanor in the Solarium (smart phones audio without ear buds is nuts) and "lounge towel hogs" day long reservations not used.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Julma said:

Depends on what you're looking for in a spa.  I love the infrared sauna.  I also enjoyed many mornings on the heated loungers.  

While that is certainly true, what people are saying is the ALL of Celebrity's spas, regardless of Ship Class, have the bare minimum of spa facilities, and one could say that they actually don't since none of Celebrity's Thermal suites have a water feature (Whirlpool, hot tub, lap pool, wading pool). The Solarium doesn't count since it's not within the Thermal suite. Considering the cost of the Thermal Suite pass on E-Class ships they aren't a good value when other cruiselines, NCL and MSC come to mind, have provided far better thermal suite/spas in all ship classes, down to the smaller 70,000 ton class. It's not too long ago that cruiselines like Royal provided HUGE single sex spa facilities that were free of charge to use.  

• Like 1

OOOPS #3 – NO Oversight of Lounge Chair Towel Hogs  🧣

Seriously, on sea days, especially if too windy, too cloudy, rainy, etc., it's a complete mess in the Solarium. On sea days that are OK to sun tan and comfortable, the pressure comes off the Solarium and moves back out on the pool deck.

A couple of pictures of coming out of the Solarium (no seats and crowds roaming for some) where it was the same situation toward the main pool deck - only about 75 feet!.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd5fe4f502c2fe1f1d099238c5b3e22f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a52f7d7d98ebf2de3f52ae3b8d57b92d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.333257ae1bc6f30d5e92a50dda210b54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.64334ba8d42bc1dac510119c49335709.jpeg

• Like 1

OOOPS #4 – Mast Grill - Precooked Burgers Into Warmer (Long Time)  🍔

Last Ooops, but a repeat from Silhouette 10N in December.

Precooking hamburgers from 10 to 11:30 for serving from then until 1+ is absurd.  A hamburger, or trays and trays of hamburgers, simply do not belong being cooked that far ahead and stored in a warmer and never even put back on the grill.

It doesn't happen in the OV Cafe (they precook live and turn around and plate with bun or refill a tray) or anywhere else, and never used to have at the Mast Grill. The best experience additive part of live cooking was the smell. To get that, you  might have to go the Mast Grill early when they are actually cooking quite a large volume of hamburgers hours prior.

If the hamburgers are undercooked and warmed and then finished live on the grill that is possible, but short pre-cook times are required as undercooked hamburger has a much higher risk of troublesome bacteria growth in a short period of time.  So, again, I asked. I was told that they are fully cooked and are pre-prepared to handle the demand at lunch, into the warmer and from the warmer to the bun.  UGH. 

There were some times where 'actual hamburgers were on the grill!"  That should be the norm.

Well, staff the grill better! While at it, staff the table busing, cleanup and reset. How has it worked? Well, some get a burger that is great from the warmer (luck of the draw), some get a fresh live cooked burger, most (EARLY) get the 1-2 hour precooked. After my daily walk I happened by the Mast Grill and something unusual surprised me consistently - - - 1/4 to 1/2 eaten hamburgers left on the tables (even of 4) with only the fries goneIt takes quite a bit to 'pass on the full burger' on land, and less likely on a cruise ship!

There are no shortcuts with food and food preparation for quality items, preparation, cooked to temperature, sear and taste; nor safety. Hospitality officers should pay attention to the 'food uneaten' and they'll get a clue.

• Like 7

Such a "full on neg review" ..more than an Oops or two!

It is obvious  "X"   is not for you.. Maybe it never really was your primary chouce,  as you list other cruise lines in your intro.

Hope you find somethjng that  matches your needs..so many choices are  out there these days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

OOOPS #4 – Mast Grill - Precooked Burgers Into Warmer (Long Time)  🍔

Last Ooops, but a repeat from Silhouette 10N in December.

Precooking hamburgers from 10 to 11:30 for serving from then until 1+ is absurd.  A hamburger, or trays and trays of hamburgers, simply do not belong being cooked that far ahead and stored in a warmer and never even put back on the grill.

There are no shortcuts with food and food preparation for quality items, preparation, cooked to temperature, sear and taste; nor safety. Hospitality officers should pay attention to the 'food uneaten' and they'll get a clue.

This is terrible practice and a food safety issue. 🤢 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A couple of weeks ago someone posted a card for the pool deck that said unattended items for longer than 30 min can be retrieved from a staff member or something like that. Sounds like they weren’t using those this cruise?

9 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

A couple of weeks ago someone posted a card for the pool deck that said unattended items for longer than 30 min can be retrieved from a staff member or something like that. Sounds like they weren’t using those this cruise?

We have seen those cards as well. The problem is that the chair hogs complain rather loudly about having their items removed. The ship generally gives in to them and then stops enforcing that.

I think the only solution is to charge for the chairs - or grow a stronger back bone and start enforcing the "no reserving" of chairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

chairs should remain no charge.. 

and there should be  no towel check in and out like on Royal!

Let's be grown ups

X needs to follow the set procedure on all the ships!  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

This is terrible practice and a food safety issue. 🤢 

Couldn't agree more. What's sad is that the expectation we had was based upon 2013 as last Celebrity cruise pre-pandemic and the Mast Grill was fresh cooked and awesome, like being at a backyard cookout with the smoke and aroma getting you excited. First post-pandemic cruise in December 2023 on Silhouette and, after having a couple of burgers on Day 1 (didn't finish and both felt nauseous after) didn't go back. However, while walking daily 1-1.5 miles notices this great smoke and aroma coming from the Mast Grill - - - at 10-10:30 am - - - when they were precooking the hamburgers!

A hospitality team coincidently was reviewing the Mast Grill (very thorough and serious) so I decided to ask 'why do they do this and why do you allow it?' He responded that, based on the guidelines, the burgers are still in safe window to serve for 1.5 hours. My reply was 'but it isn't fresh and doesn't taste good.' They appeared to do it "a lot less" the rest of the cruise and closer to the serving time.

He also told me that I can simply ask for a freshly cooked hamburger.

11 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

No, and it really is all lines and all ships. We don't have a solution, we just move on to alternative plans about the ship on such days.

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always throw the servers a few bucks…,,,$$$

Yes, I'm sure that would do the trick. 💸 It's just, when the 18%-20% is already added and on the slip, is it really expected and necessary? I didn't think so on the first tab, then after the nasty 'thank you' (which was way over the top) added $1 (on a beer) at one of the bars and it made a difference.

Back to a component of this; why are cash / room charge passengers only given a slip and asked to sign and, as we now know, add a tip?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

Let people get upset and they will learn that this is against the rules. The customer is right except for when they are not and they are effecting the experience of other customers.

We really don't have a known solution.

We did see 'passenger enforcement🤨 Three adult women 50-60 had been lounging in the Solarium next to us and left, we believe, for lunch.  They were gone quite a while, probably an hour and a half, and left a personal items (hat) on one of the chairs.  Three "other" adult women 50-60 came in about 40 in to their absence and simply put all of the towels in the aisle and the hat on top of it, put their own towels down and sat. 🤐 

We left soon thereafter so no knowing what ensued.🥊

The Solarium was so crowed and so noisy (hot tubs conversations elevated by spirits) at that point we left shortly. 

I guess starting with removing "ship towels" not accompanied by any personal items to be a start. Next up, "ship towels with 2-clips only" not accompanied by any personal items.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

A little clarification please.  You are saying that non beverage package person getting inferior service when ordering alcohol?  Also, Celebrity staff wants double tipped, ie already included and additional?  I am sorry that happened to you.  Not right at all.  

• Like 1