Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

17 hours ago, gold1953 said:

no they have not . This has been a policy for years and is only on cold weathers cruises for 2 hours a day .. ay happy hour when it is mostly vacated. If you noticed it yet you are fine

said this before.  There are those “adults” who do not comply with the family  times!      we ve seen kids in the afternoon in the solarium     Not at allowed family time.   And NOT just on cold weather days either

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hcat said:

crowded and loud. could not ever use this pool..

..one  Activity staff guy with a microphone needed to take a break!  I'd rather swim with the kids!

20240129_112702.thumb.jpg.2d0e13bc38ee4181150c347a325e537a.jpg

Looks like fun to me..always music going at my pool at home

47 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

Do what I did....start sailing with Virgin Voyages.  Adults only cruise line and so much fun!  I've done 8 cruises with them since they launched in 2021 and doing 5 cruises with them this year.  I'm leaving Celebrity in the dust after my next cruise in April.  No more kids ever! 🤩

Offer a drinks package and I might consider….not a huge drag queen fan though, I will say that.  Their cruises seem expensive for an ikea styled room..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Looks like fun to me..always music going at my pool at home

ours is much more exclusive! grandkids and all!

9 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Do what I did....start sailing with Virgin Voyages.  Adults only cruise line and so much fun!  I've done 8 cruises with them since they launched in 2021 and doing 5 cruises with them this year.  I'm leaving Celebrity in the dust after my next cruise in April.  No more kids ever! 🤩

No thanks.  I don’t need a party boat.  It’s bad enough that Celebrity is trying to be one.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 5:57 AM, highway180 said:

Couldn't agree More!

It also gives the parents a break, keeping the kids occupied in a fun activity. The parents paid good money for their trip, just like all the old folks here.

And yes I'm one of the old folks

Having tried a Carnival cruise a few months back, and experienced feral drunken behaviour on the part of adults, and kids (not all, but a certain element) running crazy all over the place, no supervision from parents and giving cheek, it bothers me. BUT Celebrity is surely a different style of cruising so hopefully that sort of behaviour won't happen. I quite enjoy the Solarium between 5 and 6pm, and would hate it if during that time it's become a playground for kids whose parents are off having pre dinner drinks and chats. 

I wonder how it would work in the Millenium class ships, as there's a thalassotherapy pool in the solarium, and I seem to remember that children under a certain age, or unaccompanied children, were not allowed to use the pool.

7 hours ago, sofmall said:

Having tried a Carnival cruise a few months back, and experienced feral drunken behaviour on the part of adults, and kids (not all, but a certain element) running crazy all over the place, no supervision from parents and giving cheek, it bothers me. BUT Celebrity is surely a different style of cruising so hopefully that sort of behaviour won't happen. I quite enjoy the Solarium between 5 and 6pm, and would hate it if during that time it's become a playground for kids whose parents are off having pre dinner drinks and chats. 

I wonder how it would work in the Millenium class ships, as there's a thalassotherapy pool in the solarium, and I seem to remember that children under a certain age, or unaccompanied children, were not allowed to use the pool.

Well some families do think,

”Oh you say MY kids can’t use YOUR pool?  I think they can.  I’m on Millie in December so we’ll see.

I said already on Eclipse it was crazy during family time.  One father didn’t want us in “their” hot tub.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well some families do think,

”Oh you say MY kids can’t use YOUR pool?  I think they can.  I’m on Millie in December so we’ll see.

I said already on Eclipse it was crazy during family time.  One father didn’t want us in “their” hot tub.

To my mind it's more a matter of an area that's supposed to be a quiet and relaxing area for adults, now being used by kids. I adore kids, I was a teacher and have much loved grandkids, but I'd still rather see an area that was adults only, remain adults only. Sometimes we value that peaceful time. 

• Like 5

Then go during non family hours.

Honestly, the place is empty during those 2 -3 hours, when most of you will be fighting for your share of the HH cocktails!

I realize the sacrifice is huge, but honestly, I'd rather watch my granddaughter have a little fun, than listen to chorus of old folks snoring or chatting on cell phones rather loudly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

Then go during non family hours.

Honestly, the place is empty during those 2 -3 hours, when most of you will be fighting for your share of the HH cocktails!

I realize the sacrifice is huge, but honestly, I'd rather watch my granddaughter have a little fun, than listen to chorus of old folks snoring or chatting on cell phones rather loudly.

People keep saying this. It's not empty. I'm there. 😬 Other adults are there. Not everyone keeps the same schedule, and I don't need HH drinks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

People keep saying this. It's not empty. I'm there. 😬 Other adults are there. Not everyone keeps the same schedule, and I don't need HH drinks.

Well, as long as you're not snoring, or being excessively load on your cell phone...there will be no issues from my granddaughter. She doesn't like splashing either!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Well, as long as you're not snoring, or being excessively load on your cell phone...there will be no issues from my granddaughter. She doesn't like splashing either!

Do you speak for all the families in the Solarium?  Are you policing *their* behavior?  

I found it annoying when families didn’t to let me in THEIR hot tub in the Solarium or the kids filled the entire pool.  Yes, the entire pool.

It’s an adults only area.  You don’t get to decide for us when we can use it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Sounds like I should save a chair for you both, happily let you sit next to us.

It is likely that family  hrs in the Solaruum are here to stay.

Efforts might better be focused  

on  urging pool.mgrs to strictly  enforce those set hrs..Then everyone  knows the rules and can rely upon them.

AND, the ship should follow health guidelines/ limits on ages for children in hot tubs at all pool area.  They are not heated  kiddie pools!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hcat said:

It is likely that family  hrs in the Solaruum are here to stay.

Efforts might better be focused  

on  urging pool.mgrs to strictly  enforce those set hrs..Then everyone  knows the rules and can rely upon them.

AND, the ship should follow health guidelines/ limits on ages for children in hot tubs at all pool area.  They are not heated  kiddie pools!

If the staff enforced the rules, I don't think we would be having this conversation.  Just the one about "well adults are worse!!!  lolz".

I like kids and I don't mind them around if they are well behaved.  But I don't like the sense of entitlement that because *I* have kids, our needs take priority over yours.

And you're right, the hot tubs aren't kiddie pools and that's a safety issue.  But try explaining that to some of these parents.  And the last time I was in the Solarium pool, one of the kids called me fat and ugly.  (And splashed me with water.)  While that is technically true, they still hurt my feelings. Don't the staff care about that?  (lol)  

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

And the last time I was in the Solarium pool, one of the kids called me fat and ugly.  (And splashed me with water.)  While that is technically true, they still hurt my feelings. Don't the staff care about that?  (lol)  

How long did you hold them under the water?  🙂

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

How long did you hold them under the water?  🙂

Only 15 minutes.  Thanks Apple Watch!  

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

On Celebrity website this morning on several cruises I was looking at, it stated Solarium “Adults Only”.       

If they are advertising as Adults Only on the web, then it should be monitored.  I have a feeling security and staff have encountered nasty passengers trying to enforce the rules which is why they seem to disappear 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

On Celebrity website this morning on several cruises I was looking at, it stated Solarium “Adults Only”.       

If they are advertising as Adults Only on the web, then it should be monitored.  I have a feeling security and staff have encountered nasty passengers trying to enforce the rules which is why they seem to disappear 

Is the nasty passenger the one expecting the staff to enforce the rules or the passengers pushing in to a space reserved for adults?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Is the nasty passenger the one expecting the staff to enforce the rules or the passengers pushing in to a space reserved for adults?

suspect the passenger pushing to let their kids in. some parents chose to ignore rules.   .We did see on different occasions, people leave during adult time when parents/kids showed up and  had overheard passengers grumbling quietly about here come kids, and left as there were no staff to address enforcement with.   Too many parents feel their children are angels and do no wrong, and do not like the opposite pointed out to them

Did the parent of the child that was rude to you and splashed you, apologize to you or, reprimand their child?      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

suspect the passenger pushing to let their kids in. some parents chose to ignore rules.   .We did see on different occasions, people leave during adult time when parents/kids showed up and  had overheard passengers grumbling quietly about here come kids, and left as there were no staff to address enforcement with.   Too many parents feel their children are angels and do no wrong, and do not like the opposite pointed out to them

Did the parent of the child that was rude to you and splashed you, apologize to you or, reprimand their child?      

When they called me old and fat, I told them they should consider a career as a detective.  Detectives need to have good eyesight.

I had to do about 40 hours of therapy after they splashed me but I’m almost over the trauma.  Almost.  🥸

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, darren42 said:

Now, March 8 2024 Millennium Singapore to Yokohama cruise, kids are allowed in the solarium from 4pm till 7pm. Want to see the sign?

Yes.  Why didn’t you post it already?  I think 3 hours is excessive.  You know the kids will be sitting in the hot tubs for all 3 hours.

Edited by zitsky

So we generally eat an early dinner and when we have gone into the solarium after dinner, it is essentially a ghost town, and later at night it truly is and we have the pool to ourselves.

Kids being in the pools outside of the specified hours is definitely and issue, no doubt, but I think Celebrity chose hours that would impact guests the least. How many people on here truly are in that pool between 4 and 7 pm?

Maybe they should just do 6 to 9, which would bother even less people based on our experiences. Maybe 4 is too early?

This is really more about not having kids at all on Celebrity. Yes on Disney we have seen lots of entitled parents, but if I am being honest we have seen more entitlement on X than any other line. It is still a small percentage, but it is there. Most folks though are super friendly:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darren42 said:

Now, March 8 2024 Millennium Singapore to Yokohama cruise, kids are allowed in the solarium from 4pm till 7pm. Want to see the sign?

I don't because it doesn't bother me in the least.  Curious if you have an idea of how many kids?