LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

39 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

At Good Spirits Bar...a short wait...and now enjoying my 1st Peach Tree Smash. 

20240227_105125.jpg

Love the picture with the recipe.   They are thirst quenching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not true. Reports are exaggerated. No shortage of bartenders.

We were on Discovery Princess last week. Not sure who these people are, never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink.  It was a sold out cruise.

We have not experienced long waits. Whether it was through the app or at the bar, drink service has been fast and the drinks have been good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We have not experienced long waits. Whether it was through the app or at the bar, drink service has been fast and the drinks have been good. 

Probably it was because we were in Alaska and everyone was inside. I think it was Crooners. The bartenders just ignored me when I sat down at the bar. They were working hard. Probably a peak time. I got one drink when I sat down at a table but couldn't get another. Room service worked fine except when we were going past a glacier and we couldn't get our order. I think it is just peak times. Maybe they were understaffed at that time last May. We are leaving Saturday on the same itinerary as this one so I'll see if it is different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drwbrt said:

@2and2 and @Wishing on a star; I love that you're sharing and building your lists with me.  I had the Remy Martin XO last night while we sat and chatted in Take Five.  It really is nice.  We had just finished a great meal at Sabatini's that ended with a Limoncello.  Similar to the Limoncello, I felt the Remy Martin was such a nice flavor. Both really nice.

Really like Take 5 on the Sky. Unfortunately, she doesn't have Crooners. I like to grab a bar stool at Crooners and watch the crowd walk by. In Take 5 what did you think of the drink cart?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Really like Take 5 on the Sky. Unfortunately, she doesn't have Crooners. I like to grab a bar stool at Crooners and watch the crowd walk by. In Take 5 what did you think of the drink cart?

I wasn’t in there long enough to experience the drink cart, but I saw and really liked the set up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

Probably it was because we were in Alaska and everyone was inside. I think it was Crooners. The bartenders just ignored me when I sat down at the bar. They were working hard. Probably a peak time. I got one drink when I sat down at a table but couldn't get another. Room service worked fine except when we were going past a glacier and we couldn't get our order. I think it is just peak times. Maybe they were understaffed at that time last May. We are leaving Saturday on the same itinerary as this one so I'll see if it is different.

We have encountered some inexperience at times, but the kindness is reciprocated so nicely. Inexperienced staff members still shine with good attitudes and appreciation for patience. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We have encountered some inexperience at times, but the kindness is reciprocated so nicely. Inexperienced staff members still shine with good attitudes and appreciation for patience. 

You described the new bartenders perfectly. We encountered some inexperience also. But we also had some expert seasoned entertaining bartenders too. It is amazing how you get to know them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, drwbrt said:

The amaretto manhattan is so nice. I’ll be drinking this daily the rest the cruise. Maybe not exclusively,  but daily for sure. IMG_6257.thumb.jpeg.77869eacecc8b4b3414daf3ce78a3151.jpeg

What is the price of this drink (we have plus so just curious). 

1 hour ago, like2cruise said:

What is the price of this drink (we have plus so just curious). 

If memory serves me, it was $18 last Sept on an Alaskan cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drwbrt said:

The amaretto manhattan is so nice. I’ll be drinking this daily the rest the cruise. Maybe not exclusively,  but daily for sure. IMG_6257.thumb.jpeg.77869eacecc8b4b3414daf3ce78a3151.jpeg

Now I'm going to have to try that in a few months.  Is it sweet?  

I am wondering if you were able to review the main dinning rooms Famous Crab Cakes without the crab . They taste like mashed potatoes. 

On the positive note, pretty much everything we got in the main dinning room was very good. I was surprised how good the fish was. And of coarse the creme brulee.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:12 PM, drwbrt said:

After returning to your deck chair, with a drink retrieved in five minutes, it's nice to have it refreshed in 20 minutes without having to stand up.

I have a rule….if I can’t get up to get my drink I don’t get to have one. I really hated it before that rule was implemented and I’d stand up and immediately face plant. Gots to keep tabs on how drunk I’m getting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/27/2024 at 9:08 PM, 2and2 said:

You described the new bartenders perfectly. We encountered some inexperience also. But we also had some expert seasoned entertaining bartenders too. It is amazing how you get to know them.

We really enjoyed the Good Spirits bartenders, particularly the service from Kristen. She is from Greece and she is the star of the bar. Very knowledgeable and makes amazing drinks. Sitting at the bar and talking to her while she makes drinks is a great way to spend and hour. (Or two.) 

(Or three.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I have a rule….if I can’t get up to get my drink I don’t get to have one. I really hated it before that rule was implemented and I’d stand up and immediately face plant. Gots to keep tabs on how drunk I’m getting. 

Haha. That’s a good rule for a self-administered field (sea?) sobriety test. But we take vacation seriously. My whole life is serving others as a restaurant owner — and I love making a living providing this service. But when I can enjoy the same care for a week, there are few wasted moments. I think I can be judged for being “lazy” but keeping the drink service flowing isn’t about being a “lush”. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Definitely doesn't sound sweet to me...

Rob Floyd, Princess Amaretto Manhattan

If you like watching these kind of videos, stop by Good Spirits, plant yourself at the bar, and talk to the bartenders while you watch them make everyone’s drinks. You will get to see and learn about lots of drinks over the course of a few hours without having to drink ALL of them.

Bonus: Your liver won’t be mad and you should be able to walk back to your stateroom. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

Definitely doesn't sound sweet to me...

Rob Floyd, Princess Amaretto Manhattan

Thanks for that video @Thrak.  Definelty sounds like I'll have to try it.  Now if only they used luxardo cherries rather than those fake dyed ones!  

@drwbrt what other cocktails have you enjoyed?!

• Like 2

Day 6 — The Sanctuary

We enjoyed a light breakfast at the MDR and then headed up to the Sanctuary where we are in a cabana for the day. The ship has move movement as we head back up the coast and against the current. It’s north of 75 F but the wind knocks down the warmth with the gusting winds on Deck 18. 

The sun is fighting to make it through the clouds, and I think the horizon is promising for a nice day. 

IMG_1125.thumb.jpeg.0291ce8d2675ccd31c3bcf46e12fb17d.jpeg

• Like 2