How odd

yyjguy

43 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I was curious and went to look at the Island's deck plans on the Princess website.  the Emerald deck is the only one that still has an aft viewing area.  All the other decks had aft facing cabins added where the viewing areas were.

The balconies on Emerald deck cabins are huge (on both sides of the ship) in the aft section.

One of our favorite cabins. C731 a "new" mini on the Island. Semi wrap around balcony. Plexiglass balcony wall was great compared to a metal one. Cabin was of the new design with the wall mounted TVs and the separation curtain.

Island Princess C731 Balcony.JPG

Edited by Yehootu

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

The balconies on Emerald deck cabins are huge (on both sides of the ship) in the aft section.

The furthest aft balcony cabin is partially covered and you do have the viewing area just around the corner. We really liked the mini on the Caribe deck.

Island Princess.png

19 hours ago, reedprincess said:

You mean, the promenade deck where you have to cross through the ship to complete a circuit, cuz they cut it off with added cabins? That promenade?  Yeah, lovely. Lol..  and somehow, people complain about Royal class ships without a wraparound promenade, yet love Island's, which isn't wraparound and hasn't been for 9 years. 

I would still take the promenade deck on the Island any day over the Royal Class ships, which only have a few disjointed sections of promenade deck.  The promenade deck on the Island Princess goes almost completely around, except for the aft section.  And even there, you can complete an outdoor circuit by walking up a short flight of stairs to the aft outdoor section of the Emerald deck - it's really no different from having to go up the stairs to the forward Emerald deck section on the Grand Class ships.  Island also has a wider promenade deck with full loungers compared with the Grand Class ships.

17 hours ago, yyjguy said:

mtnesterz -you are incorrect.  The voyage the mail out deals with is for WINTER 2025 and at that time Coral is doing back to back Panama Canal transits, and Island is doing the World.   So no choice.  Australia based world cruises operate in North American summer and are operated by two excellent vessels;  Coral 2024 and Crown 2025. 

I was correct about the information on the website and with what you provided. I did not receive the brochure so I don't know what the brochure says and I suspect this is the difference.

I don't know why you are bringing up the Coral. I mentioned the Crown.

The Princess website lists world cruises and segments in '25 during January, March, May, June and July. The Crown and Island are listed. So, if you don't like the Island, you have a choice. Or you can wait a year, sail another line or stay home. But you do have choices.

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I know the feeling although we hit the boring point much sooner as around 20 to 30 days on any ship.

Probably our favorite cruise was 28 days Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald Princess. We absolutely loved that cruise but it's long enough. I'd love to do the 32 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Sapphire that sails very soon. We will be on a different cruise at that time so it doesn't work out for us. I wouldn't be too surprised if the 10 day Eclipse cruise is our only cruise this year. We'll do a long camping trip and will be replacing the roof and installing solar as soon as the weather clears up so big cruise expenses are likely not in the cards.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:25 PM, Thrak said:

I can't imagine doing a World Cruise. We did 63 days on Grand Princess last year and that was tooooooooooo dang long on one ship. We got really tired of the same food, the same CD jokes, the same Trivia, etc. It was nice being treated a bit like "one of the family" by the crew though. 😉

you're feelings on a long cruise make me nervous! We’re booked on the 54 day March 2026 on the Island and worried it might be too long.  The longest cruise we’ve been on was a 28 day and loved it.  I get it about the same CD jokes as they become familiar after a while.   Were there a lot of sea days between ports on your 63 day?  And perhaps that made it feel too long?  

We’ve also been on the Island twice, once in 2006 (loved it) the full walk around promenade and then again in 2016 after the back was chopped up and cabins added.  The Universal lounge was really missed for more options in entertainment.  I would have preferred a different ship for our 54 day but it goes where I want to go.  

2 hours ago, Therese S. said:

you're feelings on a long cruise make me nervous! We’re booked on the 54 day March 2026 on the Island and worried it might be too long.  The longest cruise we’ve been on was a 28 day and loved it.  I get it about the same CD jokes as they become familiar after a while.   Were there a lot of sea days between ports on your 63 day?  And perhaps that made it feel too long?  

We’ve also been on the Island twice, once in 2006 (loved it) the full walk around promenade and then again in 2016 after the back was chopped up and cabins added.  The Universal lounge was really missed for more options in entertainment.  I would have preferred a different ship for our 54 day but it goes where I want to go.  

We do a lot of long cruises.  Just switch it up, with shows, activities while on sea days.  

The meals, by the 2nd week, we know the menu in the MDR when it repeats, so we mix it with SD, Casual dining, Buffet, Lido grill, room service and ultimate balcony dining.

That So Pac cruise has great ports, if that’s the one you’re on.

We love sea days. 

5 hours ago, Therese S. said:

We booked that also and the only reason it makes me nervous is mail, the house, etc.  Not the length.  We've been on a couple 28 day and doing a 32 day soon. The great thing about the 2026 cruise is that they have a couple Hawaiian islands at the end so that there isn't more than 5 days between land.

14 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Actually, I love sea days. They are so much more relaxing than port days. I got an overdose of Melbourne since we ported there 4 times (5 if you count disembarkation day). We were also in Sydney twice. We had a two day segment from Sydney to Melbourne over a weekend. About a zillion people booked that short segment and used the Plus package to the fullest extent so it was a very loud and boozed up group.  There was another segment that was only 4 days and, while it wasn't over a weekend, another large batch of people booked that portion and used it as a booze cruise. GAH!!! The first 24 days from San Francisco to Sydney were nice and peaceful but the Aussie crowd was anything but peaceful. On top of those issues when started cruising around the area Noro made an appearance in a big time way. The entire last 32 days of the cruise Princess did "deep cleaning" over and over but could never get rid of the stuff. We had never experienced the "joy" that is Noro Virus on a ship but we both got it. I got it bad. Despite the extra cleaning and not being able to self-serve in the buffet it was still a common sight to see people either simply bypass the hand washing station or else "pretend" to wash their hands. It's no wonder they couldn't get rid of the stuff.

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Actually, I love sea days. They are so much more relaxing than port days. I got an overdose of Melbourne since we ported there 4 times (5 if you count disembarkation day). We were also in Sydney twice. We had a two day segment from Sydney to Melbourne over a weekend. About a zillion people booked that short segment and used the Plus package to the fullest extent so it was a very loud and boozed up group.  There was another segment that was only 4 days and, while it wasn't over a weekend, another large batch of people booked that portion and used it as a booze cruise. GAH!!! The first 24 days from San Francisco to Sydney were nice and peaceful but the Aussie crowd was anything but peaceful. On top of those issues when started cruising around the area Noro made an appearance in a big time way. The entire last 32 days of the cruise Princess did "deep cleaning" over and over but could never get rid of the stuff. We had never experienced the "joy" that is Noro Virus on a ship but we both got it. I got it bad. Despite the extra cleaning and not being able to self-serve in the buffet it was still a common sight to see people either simply bypass the hand washing station or else "pretend" to wash their hands. It's no wonder they couldn't get rid of the stuff.

That’s terrible. Just don’t understand those people. 😳

Glad to see you both are back to good health.  

On 2/23/2024 at 3:21 PM, Thrak said:

The reference was to the remodel where they removed the Universe Lounge and replaced it with cabins. Lots of new cabins and less public space. They moved the gym downstairs to a windowless room. The Promenade can no longer be traversed all around the ship as it is blocked off when you get to the beginning of the aft cabins.

All this, plus no International Cafe!  One of our favorites for a quick snack/meal.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:03 PM, Thrak said:

Probably our favorite cruise was 28 days Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald Princess. We absolutely loved that cruise but it's long enough. I'd love to do the 32 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Sapphire that sails very soon. We will be on a different cruise at that time so it doesn't work out for us. I wouldn't be too surprised if the 10 day Eclipse cruise is our only cruise this year. We'll do a long camping trip and will be replacing the roof and installing solar as soon as the weather clears up so big cruise expenses are likely not in the cards.

We'd love to do that 32 day cruise too but I just don't think it will work out, darn it.  Price is absolutely unbeatable.  Sigh.