Another NCL newbie question: What is available on the stateroom TV?

dlh015

Does one have to pay for everything...like an On Demand sort of platform? Is there anything available for free?

While I don't watch much tv as a rule, DW enjoys it in the evenings...and sea days.

Searching on television delivered mixed results...

I expect that MDR/Specialty menus will be available on the TV and the days events.

Come to think of it, will the safety videos be on the stateroom TV and do we physically go to muster stations for that??

Thanks for any info and smooth sailing to all! 

Limited example TV Line-up

21 Action Movies
22 Drama Movies
23 Comedy Movies
24 Family Movies
25 BBC World News
26 MSNBC
27 CNBC
28 Fox News
29 Sports [Europe Sports 2]
30 Journeys

Ship's choice on what they show on the movie channels. On-demand movies are available for an [significant] cost unless you are in a Suite. Lower channels are all ship advertising and information. 

MDR menus are only available at the restaurant on the night of service. 

You will watch your safety video before arriving at the port and check in at your muster station. NCL will send you [7 or 8] emails reminding you to watch the videos. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

That lineup may not be entirely accurate on channel numbers.  On the Bliss all the news type stations were first, then the movie and TV show stations...

Correct.  It depends on the ship.  And on some ships you can access your account information, make reservations, etc. Not so much on others.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

I am a little upset with myself that I didn't mention I would be on the Sun for this cruise. (I had mentioned it in other topics when I posted them but forgot on this one...)

I know it's an older ship so I don't expect a lot of new tech...

I've been kinda wondering what 300 minutes of 'Internet Connectivity' gets me. Hopefully, I'll be able to text my sister but if not, I'll upgrade to the next level after I board.

I appreciate everyone's help in setting my expectations...

6 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I've been kinda wondering what 300 minutes of 'Internet Connectivity' gets me. Hopefully, I'll be able to text my sister but if not, I'll upgrade to the next level after I board.

If you both have iPhones you may not even need to use that time.  iMessage generally works for iPhone to iPhone messaging (text only, and even if one party is not on board) without being online on your minutes.  If you have WiFi texting on your plan then the minutes will work for Android messaging.

• Thanks 1

There are movies that are available are for rent. Be aware because if you watch them you can be in for a big bill.

The movies and shows n the "regular" channels are repeated several times every day ,..... day in and day out.

• Thanks 1

You can usually (depends on how handy you are and the ship and room probably) connect a tablet or phone to the HDMI port of the TV and watch movies/shows that you have downloaded from your favorite streaming service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, fredflint said:

You can usually (depends on how handy you are and the ship and room probably) connect a tablet or phone to the HDMI port of the TV and watch movies/shows that you have downloaded from your favorite streaming service.

Don't count on it. HDMI ports are usually disabled and I believe you would also need to bring a universal remote to change input, if not disabled.

Maverick. Maverick is available.

Over and over and over. I watched Maverick so many times on the Star last summer I’m one step away from getting my fighter pilot wings.

• Haha 6

Maverick and the Munsters. My kid had never seen the Munsters and became fascinated with Munsters reruns last summer on the Joy. If I never have to see another episode of the Munsters again... Some recent movies as well, we watched Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, probably some random Marvel movies too.

The tv situation has changed, at least on Epic. Just got off today, and on other ships or other trips there were always a few movie stations with rotating options by genre, but not on this trip. Just a single "prime tv" station (sometimes children cartoons, sometimes things like The Office), a single "movie" station (Mission Impossible and a bunch of stuff I have never heard of), a single "sports" station, and a half dozen news outlets. That was it.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:09 PM, BirdTravels said:

Limited example TV Line-up

21 Action Movies
22 Drama Movies
23 Comedy Movies
24 Family Movies
25 BBC World News
26 MSNBC
27 CNBC
28 Fox News
29 Sports [Europe Sports 2]
30 Journeys

Ship's choice on what they show on the movie channels. On-demand movies are available for an [significant] cost unless you are in a Suite. Lower channels are all ship advertising and information. 

MDR menus are only available at the restaurant on the night of service. 

You will watch your safety video before arriving at the port and check in at your muster station. NCL will send you [7 or 8] emails reminding you to watch the videos. 

Bird, do you know, does Viva / Prima do afternoon movies like other NCL ships?