After 25 Oceania cruises we will not come back..

urlaub

1 hour ago, stevesol6718 said:

This is my final post on this topic and never ending answers.  How did we know they had extra cabins?  After complaining every day for 36 days of a 39 day cruise and being told that the ship was full and here is a fan to compensate for the air conditioner not working properly, on day 37 they found a cabin and offered to move us for the remaining three days. A miracle? No! So please stop defending the ship and feel a little compassion for a fellow passenger.

Personally I have a lot of compassion. I would be absolutely furious if it happened to me.

Did you ask how they were able to give you a cabin 3 days before the end of the cruise? Is it possible that it was occupied before? Maybe someone disembarked due to medical emergency or some other reason? Maybe it was occupied by a guest entertainer who disembarked? Many possible scenarios, but you assumed that they had the cabin available all the time and refused to give it to you for some reason. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Many possible scenarios, but you assumed that they had the cabin available all the time and refused to give it to you for some reason. 

I hope that we will hear back from the stevesol6718 to respond to your post. When I read that post, I did not get the impression that the OP assumed there was a cabin available, and Oceania refused to give it to them.

My reading of that post is that they paid for a quality Stateroom in good repair and fully functional, which was not what they experienced. Given these circumstances, it is incumbent upon Oceania to make good.

Edited by PhD-iva
Fix
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Personally I have a lot of compassion. I would be absolutely furious if it happened to me.

Did you ask how they were able to give you a cabin 3 days before the end of the cruise? Is it possible that it was occupied before? Maybe someone disembarked due to medical emergency or some other reason? Maybe it was occupied by a guest entertainer who disembarked? Many possible scenarios, but you assumed that they had the cabin available all the time and refused to give it to you for some reason. 

Unfortunately it is really hard to know what actually happened. The first post was simply it did not work and they gave us a fan. Then a subsequent post added the tidbit well of course we asked for a new room and there were none.  Then it became they did offer us a new stateroom but with only three days left, which to me would probably be the most insulting but never mentioned until now…..when I see stories changing let’s just say I personally become a bit skeptical. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EJL2023 said:

Unfortunately it is really hard to know what actually happened. The first post was simply it did not work and they gave us a fan. Then a subsequent post added the tidbit well of course we asked for a new room and there were none.  Then it became they did offer us a new stateroom but with only three days left, which to me would probably be the most insulting but never mentioned until now…..when I see stories changing let’s just say I personally become a bit skeptical. 

@EJL2023 Like with any disagreement, there is two sides to every story.  Each side thinks they are telling the truth.  The actual truth, if ever surfaces is somewhere in the middle.  When we as humans want to gain support for our views, we sometimes selectively leave out some information.  Not always on purpose but still it was not available initially. Those evaluating the situation can only do so with the information provided.

When folks have an issue with any brand, they are more likely to speak up then when someone is happy with a brand.  Just the way things work out.  The line, I have cruise this brand this many times means nothing to me.  The brand owes you nothing more then someone who cruised that same brand once.  There is right and wrong.  Other then a few amenities for loyalty, everyone should be treated the same.  

If my AC did not work on a long cruise, I would be very upset.  If I asked for another stateroom and it was only given at the end of a long cruise, I would be upset.  If the reason that this stateroom was made available is because up to that point, the staterooms were sold out, that is just the way it is.  Long cruises are often smaller cruises added together.  

This situation with its details changing over may posts is not a good look for sure. However, still a negative situation seemed to have happened.  This couple had a dream cruise that was effected by mechanical issues that should have been resolved quickly.  My solution if I could control it would have been to have a company representative from the corporate office contact the guests, look for a resolution that exceeded the guest expectation, and done it early.  That type of guest resolution approach seems to have been lost over the last few decades.  

Problems for brands can be instantly turned it to a great and positive story if the brand handles it correctly.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 4

Thanks!  FYI, we have contacted Oceania several times, both during the cruise and since we have been home, and they have not replied.  We have asked our travel agent to contact them also. It seems that they feel that if they do not answer, you will forget it. We are not one time cruisers and have over 20 Oceania cruises. We have five cruises booked with them.  I think that because we are loyal Oceania guests, the fact that they ignored us, adds to the issue.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stevesol6718 said:

Thanks!  FYI, we have contacted Oceania several times, both during the cruise and since we have been home, and they have not replied.  We have asked our travel agent to contact them also. It seems that they feel that if they do not answer, you will forget it. We are not one time cruisers and have over 20 Oceania cruises. We have five cruises booked with them.  I think that because we are loyal Oceania guests, the fact that they ignored us, adds to the issue.

I think we can all agree that Oceania has a great product but very poor communication skills, and this is the cause of frustration for many people. When things go as planned, everything is great, but when something goes wrong, their ability to resolve the issue and/or at least to communicate it has a lot to be desired.

The good thing is that it's not vice versa (poor product but good communication). We have to accept the fact that despite the best intentions, bad things happen, and it's usually not on purpose, and sometimes there is just no way to fix it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shepherd really said:

They are maintaining the ship beautifully. The crew are constantly and diligently keep the ship in good order

I hope that they keep this up! At the very least until the ship docks in Rio . . . 😁

Edited by JYDCruise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't call me an idiot but what about this for a possible bandage? I'm sure there are employees on the ship who have regular cabins. Or maybe not. What about the CD? What about moving someone - not the captain!:) - into that cabin and put the passenger in the employee's cabin. Or do they ALL share cabins? If you don't want to order someone to so it, then offer some $$$$. Just a silly thought.

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Read the first post by ak1004 and the second post. You will answer your own question.

Actually, I had read both posts, before commenting.  While I found the original blunt (and not the way I would frame the question) along with a feeble attempt at humor about heat, I did not feel it was particularly argumentative. I think his response to you tried to indicate that.

Different folks read different tones into comments, some of which may or may not have been intended by the poster.

• Like 2

@stevesol6718 you and/your TA have likely already thought of this. In case not, you could consider asking for a specific discount or onboard credit amount to apply to one or more of your already-booked future cruises. It's true that O could still decline to answer or say "no". Even so many companies are much free-er with future discounts than with cash-back on past problems.

Could you share if you are satisfied with your TA's handling of the situation? I'm disappointed to hear that O hasn't responded to either of you, even if to say 'we're not going to respond'. Or has your TA has been able to talk with people at O but nothing has been put in writing and/or resolved? That is still not great, but might be just a little less frustrating than radio silence...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, stevesol6718 said:

I cannot believe the ridiculous comments re my post.  Do people really believe that we did not ask for a cabin switch from day one?  We were told from that day that the ship was full and none were available.  Even spoke to the General Manager several times.  To 1985RZ1:  are you just "so smart"  or just a pompous A--?  No attempt at humor, just a  legitimate issue.  I am sure that if this situation happened to you, you would not be so cavalier and would be raising hell.  If you cannot "put yourself in someone's shoes" and understand, then keep your unappreciated comments to yourself.

@stevesol6718 Chill, this is a safe environment which does not mean folks can't disagree or have a different opinion.  There is NO guest that would not be upset with their stateroom environment being not right in anyway.  Myself included.  This and other cruise brand blogs get a lot of upset guest venting.  Just the way blogs go.  This brand blog as with other cruise brands have the over the top loyalists and the folks that think the brand is awful.  Again, welcome to social media. 

The ship is a floating hotel with no great access to all parts needed when something breaks down.  This should have been an easy fix by engineering but it obviously was not.  At the time, no staterooms were available.  As time went out and guest came on and off the ship, one seemed to become available towards the end of the journey.  To little, to late.  To coin a phase, "That ship has sailed."

I think when this happens, the guest should receive some level of compensation.  It should have been offered without the guest asking but that is not the way our world works.  Stay on Oceania with Certified Mail to the Executives until they response and accommodate you in some way.  It is the principle of the thing.  

All that said, this is social media.  People have differing opinions.  Don't take it personally.  Just take everyone's comments with a grain of salt.  I hope Oceania Compensates in some way.  

• Like 4

My TA has been pursuing this since January with no result.   They go back and forth without results and are ignored.  One more comment.  On January 10th at 8PM, the concierge  in the lounge called us and offered us a $300 shipboard credit for our problem.  We were leaving the ship at 8AM on the 11th.  Almost impossible to find a way to spend this.  So we asked if we could apply this amount to our next cruise in March.  He called back and said that the company would not.  

@stevesol6718

Issue resolution is an art form.  Anyone that has ever cruised has had an issue here and there.  Some major, some minor.  It happens on all kinds of travel. I just had one happen to me for a High Speed Train company in Italy.  It is upsetting and frustrating.  I have made the comment I am about to make you you several times.  Yet, I am no expert but for my own personal situations, each and everyone what handled to my satisfaction.  The one thing that was clear from the onset was my travel agent who is a VERY successful agent with a GREAT reputation simply could not do what I can do.  Why, I won't ever give up, my agent has lots of other things to do beside me.

Here is an approach to consider to gain a resolution after the fact.  Nothing we can do about what happened on the ship at this late date.  First, emails, text and telephone calls don't get the results needed from my perspective.  An extremely well written, professionally worded letter that is sent certified mail is the best approach I have found.  The secret to the letter is never threaten, or make claims like "I will never cruise your brand again".  All is lost with that approach from the onset. 

Instead, explain fairly the circumstances, how it made you feel and what you feel would be a fair resolution. Demand nothing.  If you have ever read the Cruise Contract, the cruise line owes you nothing legally.  Morally is another story.  Admit that you know that they don't have to do anything for you.  Follow this up with you would appreciate a professional courtesy.  

Send the letter certified to the top four executives at the brand in Florida.  If you don't gain a response in a week, do it again.  I have only had to send a letter like this twice.  There is something magical to a well written letter that uses logic and does not threaten the vendor.  

No one and I mean no one can fight for your rights better then you can.  Now I have shared this approach before.  Some folks love it, some think I am out of line and condescending in the way I explain it.  When I am feeling wronged, I don't care what other think. My approach has worked for me very well over 30 plus cruises, lots of brands and 44 years.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Riverroad said:

Can you tell me the all-over condition of Marina? We are thinking of a last minute booking on the April transatlantic to Barcelona. I know the refurbishment is happening in May and wonder if they are letting things go until then. The first few days of that cruise are in warm weather and would be very upset if the a/c didn’t work. 

We were just on the Marina in January and found her to be in very good shape. The crew was doing maintenance constantly, including repainting the outside hull that had we noticed was pretty scuffed up and rusty in a few places when we originally boarded. We kept in mind that salt water and docking are pretty hard on the exterior of any ship. We also had no issues with our a/c. Are there other things that you are concerned about?

We wouldn’t hesitate to book the Marina again before her refurb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@stevesol6718

Issue resolution is an art form.  Anyone that has ever cruised has had an issue here and there.  Some major, some minor.  It happens on all kinds of travel. I just had one happen to me for a High Speed Train company in Italy.  It is upsetting and frustrating.  I have made the comment I am about to make you you several times.  Yet, I am no expert but for my own personal situations, each and everyone what handled to my satisfaction.  The one thing that was clear from the onset was my travel agent who is a VERY successful agent with a GREAT reputation simply could not do what I can do.  Why, I won't ever give up, my agent has lots of other things to do beside me.

Here is an approach to consider to gain a resolution after the fact.  Nothing we can do about what happened on the ship at this late date.  First, emails, text and telephone calls don't get the results needed from my perspective.  An extremely well written, professionally worded letter that is sent certified mail is the best approach I have found.  The secret to the letter is never threaten, or make claims like "I will never cruise your brand again".  All is lost with that approach from the onset. 

Instead, explain fairly the circumstances, how it made you feel and what you feel would be a fair resolution. Demand nothing.  If you have ever read the Cruise Contract, the cruise line owes you nothing legally.  Morally is another story.  Admit that you know that they don't have to do anything for you.  Follow this up with you would appreciate a professional courtesy.  

Send the letter certified to the top four executives at the brand in Florida.  If you don't gain a response in a week, do it again.  I have only had to send a letter like this twice.  There is something magical to a well written letter that uses logic and does not threaten the vendor.  

No one and I mean no one can fight for your rights better then you can.  Now I have shared this approach before.  Some folks love it, some think I am out of line and condescending in the way I explain it.  When I am feeling wronged, I don't care what other think. My approach has worked for me very well over 30 plus cruises, lots of brands and 44 years.  

I would add keep it concise and factual. Hit the most important issues, do not add every little slight. More issues do not increase the chance of you getting a favorable response to the most important issue or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TRLD said:

I would add keep it concise and factual. Hit the most important issues, do not add every little slight. More issues do not increase the chance of you getting a favorable response to the most important issue or two. 

Excellent point. I'm mentally preparing to write about a particular issue and I keep reminding myself to keep it right on that topic and not related issues.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:12 PM, stevesol6718 said:

My TA has been pursuing this since January with no result.   They go back and forth without results and are ignored.  One more comment.  On January 10th at 8PM, the concierge  in the lounge called us and offered us a $300 shipboard credit for our problem.  We were leaving the ship at 8AM on the 11th.  Almost impossible to find a way to spend this.  So we asked if we could apply this amount to our next cruise in March.  He called back and said that the company would not.  

I only can confirm your experiences. Never got any excuses. I didn't want credits because I will not come back in the next years. I only wanted the money back for the luggage transportation. I cannot agree that Oceania is not responsible for our suitcases. We gave them in their hands and what they do with is in Oceania's responsibility.

We loved to cruise with them but this Vista cruise confirmed our impression from Marina before. Oceania is not as it was before they came under the roof of NCL.

Also for us it was not possible to move into another cabin on Marina.We need a wheelchair accessible stateroom ( paraplegic) and with balcony they only have two. The other room was occupied by a couple who was not handicapped but old, they told us. So they wouldn't move this other couple into a regular cabin and gave us the other accessible. 

I also do not want to get cruise critic answers about Oceania's perfect cruises and to read that I am writing wrong things about the ship. After 25 cruises with them and more than 30 cruises on other ships I can really evaluate cruise lines and ships.

1 hour ago, urlaub said:

I only can confirm your experiences. Never got any excuses. I didn't want credits because I will not come back in the next years. I only wanted the money back for the luggage transportation. I cannot agree that Oceania is not responsible for our suitcases. We gave them in their hands and what they do with is in Oceania's responsibility.

We loved to cruise with them but this Vista cruise confirmed our impression from Marina before. Oceania is not as it was before they came under the roof of NCL.

Also for us it was not possible to move into another cabin on Marina.We need a wheelchair accessible stateroom ( paraplegic) and with balcony they only have two. The other room was occupied by a couple who was not handicapped but old, they told us. So they wouldn't move this other couple into a regular cabin and gave us the other accessible. 

I also do not want to get cruise critic answers about Oceania's perfect cruises and to read that I am writing wrong things about the ship. After 25 cruises with them and more than 30 cruises on other ships I can really evaluate cruise lines and ships.

@urlaub Just write Oceania a letter.  Mail it to the top executives in Florida. Make them sign for it.  Explain your situation.  Explain your cruise history.  Social Media is a place to vent not fix the issue.  Travel agents are not as committed to your resolution as you are.  Keep sending the letters weekly until they call you or answer you.  At this stage, Oceania or any brand has made you so disappointed, you may never go back.  So, now it is the principle of the thing.  Don't give up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, urlaub said:

Oceania is not as it was before they came under the roof of NCL.

And Silversea is not the same under RCI, and Seabourn not the same under Carnival. 

Those are very common statements on different boards and social media. But do they reflect the reality? 

We sailed on O in 2018, and then 3 times post Covid. Didn't notice much difference.

RCI brought back the unlimited black caviar to Silversea. 

Most cruise lines are under the umbrella of the big 3. If you believe that they are destroying the luxury lines, not too many places to go..

Look at the recent Silver Nova fiasco and see that there are not many places to hide from the cruise lines corporate stupidity.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 3:05 PM, Sthrngary said:

@stevesol6718 Chill, this is a safe environment which does not mean folks can't disagree or have a different opinion.  There is NO guest that would not be upset with their stateroom environment being not right in anyway.  Myself included.  This and other cruise brand blogs get a lot of upset guest venting.  Just the way blogs go.  This brand blog as with other cruise brands have the over the top loyalists and the folks that think the brand is awful.  Again, welcome to social media. 

The ship is a floating hotel with no great access to all parts needed when something breaks down.  This should have been an easy fix by engineering but it obviously was not.  At the time, no staterooms were available.  As time went out and guest came on and off the ship, one seemed to become available towards the end of the journey.  To little, to late.  To coin a phase, "That ship has sailed."

I think when this happens, the guest should receive some level of compensation.  It should have been offered without the guest asking but that is not the way our world works.  Stay on Oceania with Certified Mail to the Executives until they response and accommodate you in some way.  It is the principle of the thing.  

All that said, this is social media.  People have differing opinions.  Don't take it personally.  Just take everyone's comments with a grain of salt.  I hope Oceania Compensates in some way.  

There are very few room air conditioning problems that affect just 1 room on cruise ships (the control unit, and the dampers in the ceiling of the room. Most problems would also impact the other room along the same ducts. It's not like there is an individual heater or AC unit in the ceiling.

So the first question would be were other rooms around them also demonstrating the same problem?

Was the occupant doing things that impacted proper operation?  Leaving their balcony door open? Leaving drapes open if sun is shining into cabin on hot day?

Was their reasonable air flow through the ceiling duct? If so what was the temp of that air flow compared to what one would expect cool when AC was needed, warm when heat was needed? If the temp seemed right did the flow or temp change after changing the thermostat setting.

If there was little airflow problem often others on duct Leaving their balcony doors open. Have mentioned this to some folks whose response is that they do not care, it is their room and they want to hear the ocean.

• Thanks 1

Please stop nit picking.   Are you an engineer or just like to show how bright you are?. Ours was the only room in the line on both sides that did not have air.   Our friends were next door and the air was fine. No open door, no closed drapes. Temp was as high as 90 degrees in the room.  Been on many cruises and know the rules.  Ship engineers were in to check maybe 25 times without result.  They never had a conclusion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1