Input on Celebrity

travelfool123

Two different products.     While they are owned by the same company they are very different.   While I have never cruised RCL my understanding of reading these boards for 15+ years is that RCL generally have much larger ships with many amenities that appeal to families with children - e.g. rock climbing walls, Surf Rider, Water Slides etc.    Celebrity generally appeals to families without children or ones that are happy not to have the amenities for children. 

I would say RCL probably attracts a younger passenger group with much more energy as oppose to a more upscale Celebrity more relaxed atmosphere.   

Not sure it would matter much on a Med cruise as they tend to be very port intensive.

• Like 5

What @Jim_Iain is on track, but I will try to further clarify the comparisons.  We have 50+ combined cruises on RCCL and Celebrity.

As mentioned, they are not sister ships.  They are two separate cruise lines owned by the same parent company - Royal Caribbean International.  As such they operate independently and are very different from each other.

RCCL (Royal Caribbean) has a primary demographic focus with families (with children).  As such, their main focus is now with their mega ships (Oasis, Quantum, and Icon classes) that are heavily oriented in venues for that demographic. (Aqua theater, Ice Show, rock climbing walls, water and dry slides, zip line, bumper cars, IFly, flowriders, etc. - sometimes referred to as a floating amusement park).  They also have very good entertainment to include Broadway based shows and high tech performances (Quantum class - Two70 theater), as well as a very well managed kids club.  Passenger load on board these vessels ranges from 4,900 (Quantum class) to 7,600 maximum capacities. (Icon class)

In short, Celebrity has none of that.  Their primary demographics is adults 50+.  Polar opposite of RCCL.  The ships are smaller with their larger Solstice and Apex class ships at 2,850 to 3,400 maximum capacity. The on board atmosphere is more serene with a more "pure" cruising atmosphere and none of the amusement park venues.  Dining is very good, entertainment not on the same level as RCCL but good with headliners and special acts. They also offer a kids program, but as there are far less children (very few on most cruises we've been on) than RCCL, their program is not as robust.

Both lines offer very good European itineraries, with Celebrity offering similar 7- day itineraries as with RCCL, but Celebrity seems to offer more in the 7+ day range for longer cruises.  Consider the differences between the two and go with the one that fits your preferences the best.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

I've cruised both lines and prefer Celebrity. 

Celebrity Pluses for me versus RCCL: Fewer kids, better food, better service, no mega ships, caters to 40-50+ age group, 100% nonsmoking, better bar venues, better loyalty program, better room categories with accompanying amenities, clean public spaces

Celebrity Drawbacks for me:  Sometimes the age demographic is so old, the guests are very grouchy and are rude to the staff, and there's a lot of walkers and wheelchairs, which clog the elevators and cause a lot of delays getting on and off the ship. 

The quality of the theater production shows have declined.

The Millennium and Solstice class ships are aging and not being refurbished often enough, i.e., visible rust on the exterior and balcony, worn out furniture in public spaces. 

15 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

I've cruised both lines and prefer Celebrity. 

Celebrity Pluses for me versus RCCL: Fewer kids, better food, better service, no mega ships, caters to 40-50+ age group, 100% nonsmoking, better bar venues, better loyalty program, better room categories with accompanying amenities, clean public spaces

Celebrity Drawbacks for me:  Sometimes the age demographic is so old, the guests are very grouchy and are rude to the staff, and there's a lot of walkers and wheelchairs, which clog the elevators and cause a lot of delays getting on and off the ship. 

The quality of the theater production shows have declined.

The Millennium and Solstice class ships are aging and not being refurbished often enough, i.e., visible rust on the exterior and balcony, worn out furniture in public spaces. 

It is 100% smoke free indoors, but on Edge & Summit there are several outdoor smoking areas, spread across several decks and it somewhat prime locations.

I think that they are rather similar.  Royal has the toys for teens.  Flowrider,  skydiving simulator.  Celebrity does not.

Both lines have Megaships.  Royals are larger than Celebrity's E class.

Royal has better shows.

Celebrity has less kids.  Celebrity has an older demographic.  Celebrity is Royal 2.0.

Are you going with kids?  Choose Royal,  otherwise Celebrity.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kaysha2004 said:

Not challenging you, but in our experience with both lines as indicated in my first post I have to say we have seen that exact issue on a number of RCCL ships as well.  Target demographics are one thing, and they do accurately describe the tone with each cruise line.  But extended families and older couples traveling by themselves also are present on the RCCL itineraries - in particular the longer 9+ day ones.  Every line - the two in this thread included - will have a range of demographics.  But I have also seen younger couples (in particular with the EDGE class ships) on Celebrity and typically not an over abundance of elderly.  That would more likely fit HAL.

Just another observation.

Be aware that a European cruise is quite different than a Caribbean - long days off the ship in port so ship amenities may be less important.  I would look hard at ports and time in port when booking your trip.  Have sailed Celebrity 12 night cruise and it was a typical mostly older crowd but then did a 7 day and we had loads of kids - particularly during the summer.

We enjoy both lines for different reasons. Royal has better entertainment hands down. Especially the Oasis class. Lately we have found the service on Royal to be just as good or in some cases better than Celebrity. That never used to be the case. IMHO Celebrity has skewed more contemporary mass market getting closer to Royal Caribbean. I call it the Jason Liberty syndrome. 

Celebrity is a small step up in the food department. Royal can be more expensive than Celebrity so be careful. Especially when it comes to suites and Royal’s suite perks don’t match that of Celebrity’s retreat unless you book Star class. 

When it comes to Europe. As stated above you will have long days in ports. I look as the ship as a floating moving hotel that takes me from one location to another. Itinerary is much more important to us. For example we booked a TA for this fall. Royal won out with the itinerary over Celebrity.