Decent hotels in Vancouver near port

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise, leaving out of Vancouver.  We need a decent hotel near the ports ( hopefully walking distance to port).  Thought about the Days Inn.  But, the reviews are terrible.  Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Candycane10 said:

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise, leaving out of Vancouver.  We need a decent hotel near the ports ( hopefully walking distance to port).  Thought about the Days Inn.  But, the reviews are terrible.  Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

We stayed five nights pre cruise at pan pacific at the port! Lovely hotel with great buffet breakfast! And we got a great special ! Perfect place to stop

• Like 1

We stayed at the Auberge Hotel last summer for 3 nights pre-cruise. It is across the street from the port and Bell Services at the Auberge will transfer all of your luggage for you to the terminal. It is a lovely hotel in a great location. The price is reasonable especially for the location.

• Like 2

We will be staying two nights at the Hilton Vancouver pre-cruise this summer. Then 1 night at the Delta Hotel by Marriott on our return. Both get good reviews and are not far from the port.

Another vote for the Pan Pacific Hotel (cruise terminal is under the hotel).  The hotel will deliver your luggage to the cruise terminal drop-off for you.  There is an underground mall across the street with dining, coffee, wine, sundries, clothing, and pharmacy shops.

To get to the mall, there is an escalator down to a hallway under the street.  Another means of access is a crosswalk with stairs down to the food court.  For eating, there is a Tim Horton, Starbucks, McDonald, Asian, and Mediterranean counter service.  There is even an H&R Block to pay your taxes.

We've stayed at the Blue Horizon (pre-COVID, not recently) and in 2022 the Coast Coal Harbor and liked both. Coast CH is more upscale and closer to the harbor, easier walk to Canada Place and is a little more money, but not as much as the Pinnacle or Pan Pacific. We're staying at the Coast this summer because we liked it so much.

• Like 1

Has anyone stayed at the Carmana? Its a little more than the Days Inn but somewhat better reviews. We arrive Friday night after10:00 pm on Amtrak from Tacoma for a Saturday embarkation so are just looking for one night's sleep and an easy trip to the ship. 

If you haven't already checked (it sells out regularly) the YWCA Hotel is usually the cheapest downtown option, as well as one of the best-reviewed at any price... it's also one of the closest to the train station (although given how small the downtown core is, staying in the furthest hotels would barely be an extra 10mins cab ride...)

Otherwise, if you can handle schlepping bags up stairs there are a couple of older properties with decent reviews just lacking in froo-froo stuff like elevators 😉 The Buchan remains 'cheap & cheerful' across the board, but The Victorian seems to be positioning itself as Ye Olde Authentice Heritagee Hotele these days with fancy mattresses and linens and trying to call shared bathrooms 'a European Experience' - their rates aren't as good a deal as it used to be, but the lack of en suites and elevators puts enough people off that they are still often much cheaper than others.

• Like 1

I just double booked both the YMCA and the Blue Horizon for early July. The YMCA ended being $1 more. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kingsmom said:

I just double booked both the YMCA and the Blue Horizon for early July. The YMCA ended being $1 more. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?  

I have not stayed at either before but  will be staying at the YWCA for an upcoming cruise. People we know say its really good. Walkable but its not close either to the cruise port.  With that said, they also offer a 10% off for seniors (60 plus) just in case you fall into that range. We had to ask about that when we booked as they included that price difference when they sent back the confirmation. 

Edited by LeDemonBlond
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kingsmom said:

If they're that close in price, BH - it gives you a view and a bigger room ( every room is a corner). While there have been a few reports of service standards dropping since Covid, the location is also a little superior for cruisers and first-timers.

Personally I think the walkability of the YWCA is better for food - though there are some genuinely excellent restos close to BH too - and it's nearer Gastown/Chinatown/Yaletown, but English Bay and Stanley Park are closer to BH, plus there's a stop right outside for the Capilano shuttle and the HOHO bus which are both very popular things to do.

The pier is very slightly closer to BH - and if you planned to walk, any vaguely direct route is fine from BH whereas the most direct walking route from the Y would pass through a couple of pretty seedy intersections, and some folks are more comfortable avoiding such things.

Whether BH have started cutting their prices to entice back some of the folks who were a bit disappointed with them post-Covid, or the Y has finally started pricing more reflectiveky of its excellent standards, I'm still a bit shocked that the pricing matches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm flip flopping all over the place trying to decide between flying into Seattle or Vancouver the day before. I have hotels book in both places.  Just saw a Queen room at the YMCA open up and it ended up being $50 less than the BH.  So, if I go with Vancouver, I will probably stay there versus the BH.  I really enjoy planning but making a decision is not my strong suit!

We always try to book a hotel within walking distance of Canada Place. You will pay a little more, but its only one night.  Locations we have stayed in past are Pan Pacific, Metropolitan and Day's Inn.