Making flight times

I am cruising out of Miami, but flying home out of Ft. Lauderdale.  What would be the earliest flight time out of Ft. Lauderdale should I make.  I can't miss the flight out of Ft. Lauderdale,  but getting there from port of Miami, TIA

I preface my recommendation with admitting to being risk averse when it comes to confronting south Florida traffic.  I wouldn't worry about a noon flight on Saturday or Sunday and maybe 1 pm on a weekday since you will be in morning rush hour traffic which is always bad and sometimes horrible.

Copied from my reply to another post:

Back in September we cruised on Celebration.  We are platinum, so we have priority debarkation.  We were outside and waiting on our Lyft at 7:45.  We were through security at FLL and at our gate by 8:45 for our 11 am flight.

We are cruising on Magic this September and we have a 10:15 flight out of FLL on Southwest.  However, we will definitely have a backup plan in case there are unforeseen circumstances.  We will book another flight with a refundable fare on a different airline.  Wouldn't recommend booking a flight this early without a backup plan.

Thank you everyone...just wasn't sure...i know Miami to Ft. Lauderdale is about 45 min some one said....didn't think we dock back until at least 8:00 am....ugh, could be close

23 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Thank you everyone...just wasn't sure...i know Miami to Ft. Lauderdale is about 45 min some one said....didn't think we dock back until at least 8:00 am....ugh, could be close

Check your docking time because 8:00 am is rather late.  Most ships are docked by 7 and many earlier.  Of course disembarkation can’t begin the minute they dock.  Usually it is about half an hour late.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abby1257 said:

It shows it is docking back in Miami at 8:00 ugh

If you book your flight before your cruise line recommended times and there is an issue, your travel insurance may not cover additional expense

On 3/1/2024 at 11:19 PM, Lee Cruiser said:

Copied from my reply to another post:

Back in September we cruised on Celebration.  We are platinum, so we have priority debarkation.  We were outside and waiting on our Lyft at 7:45.  We were through security at FLL and at our gate by 8:45 for our 11 am flight.

We are cruising on Magic this September and we have a 10:15 flight out of FLL on Southwest.  However, we will definitely have a backup plan in case there are unforeseen circumstances.  We will book another flight with a refundable fare on a different airline.  Wouldn't recommend booking a flight this early without a backup plan.

was your cruise on the celebration out of Miami?

Posted (edited)

Ok...well....we are platinum so we can get off first...we are only doing carry on so when we get to Ft. Lauderdale airport, we will have our boarding passes on our phone, so we can just go straight to security.  I think we will be ok, cross my fingers...

Edited by abby1257

33 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Ok...well....we are platinum so we can get off first...we are only doing carry on so when we get to Ft. Lauderdale airport, we will have our boarding passes on our phone, so we can just go straight to security.  I think we will be ok, cross my fingers...

That should all help!  What time is the flight?

Assuming the ship is on time, I think you could make it given no checked luggage making disembarkation and flight check-in hopefully painless especially if it is a Saturday or Sunday.  I wouldn't wait for an Uber or Lyft because they can take a while to arrive.  The taxis will be waiting in a line outside the terminal. 

Have a great cruise and an uneventful flight home.