Free at Sea - 2 Meal Dining Package

I have searched NCL's website and this thread and cannot find a clarification. We just booked a cruise on the Epic for March 1, 2025. We part of the Free at Sea is a "2 Meal Dining Package". Does this mean we each get 1 meal  or do we each get 2 meals? My first thought was we each get 1 meal making a total of 2 but on my vacation summary it says "2 Meal Dining Package QTY: 2" which leads me to think we each get 2 meals. Someone please clarify for us.

Thank you, in advance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-6 Nights 1 Meal / Any Stateroom $59.00 per person $11.80 per package
7-11 Nights 1 Meal / Studio, Inside, Oceanview $59.00per person $11.80 per package
7-11 Nights 2 Meals / Balcony & Above $99.00per person $19.80 per package
12+ Nights 2 Meals / Studio, Inside, Oceanview $99.00per person $19.80 per package
12+ Nights 3 Meals / Balcony & Above $139.00per person $27.80 per package

The number of meals per person can change depending on length of cruise and booked category.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

We turned down the specialty dining this cruise as part of FAS.  I guess we've been spoiled by great service in the MDRs on the past two cruises.  We also tend to prefer to be more spontaneous with dining times and reserving dining times interferes with that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

We turned down the specialty dining this cruise as part of FAS.

You seriously turned down 4 free specialty meals for the cost of the gratuity? I can't wrap my head around that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

You seriously turned down 4 free specialty meals for the cost of the gratuity? I can't wrap my head around that.

Not due to gratuity.  Some of our specialty restaurant experiences have been excellent and some less than stellar, arguments/confusion/conflict among staff over what was and was not allowed with FAS, extremely slow service, meal quality good but not marginally better than MDR, etc.  But mainly as I stated "We also tend to prefer to be more spontaneous with dining times and reserving dining times interferes with that."

Edited by Alatraveler1

3 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Not due to gratuity.

I understand. You don't like specialty dining regardless of the gratuity. I guess that's what I can't wrap my head around.

I've not had even remotely similar experiences as yours, on any level. Never a conflict about was or was not allowed, never slower than the MDR, only one bad meal, one time. And walked in without reservations on many occasions, if we weren't particular about the venue.

Just lucky, I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

I understand. You don't like specialty dining regardless of the gratuity. I guess that's what I can't wrap my head around.

I've not had even remotely similar experiences as yours, on any level. Never a conflict about was or was not allowed, never slower than the MDR, only one bad meal, one time. And walked in without reservations on many occasions, if we weren't particular about the venue.

Just lucky, I guess.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  Just make some placeholder reservations and cancel/adjust as things play out.  I don't understand how a 5:30 reservation will interfere with "spontaneous."  What else is going to come along at that time to make you want to defer dinner?

2 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

It is one of the best deals NCL has. 

Slightly off topic, but I can't find the answer elsewhere:   

My friend is cruising with my husband and me in July.  She has a solo cabin.  She is Sapphire, and we are gold.  As she is getting 2 extra meals, we decided to book the extra 2 meal package that NCL offers for about $82 per person.  She said one of us could dine with her for free, and we would just buy one package, but, as a solo cruiser, would she get the extra dining companion?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Cru-Zin said:

My friend is cruising with my husband and me in July.  She has a solo cabin.  She is Sapphire, and we are gold.  As she is getting 2 extra meals, we decided to book the extra 2 meal package that NCL offers for about $82 per person.  She said one of us could dine with her for free, and we would just buy one package, but, as a solo cruiser, would she get the extra dining companion?

Thanks!

Yes she will. I am a solo cruiser and invite someone to share my voucher with me on every cruise. She will get 2 meals for 2 so one of you will be her guest and the other will use the extra 2 meal package. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

arguments/confusion/conflict among staff over what was and was not allowed with FAS

That’s basically the opposite of our experiences. They’ve told me before I even asked. No confusion.

And I’ve never experienced (or seen) anything remotely close to an argument.

12 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Not due to gratuity.  Some of our specialty restaurant experiences have been excellent and some less than stellar, arguments/confusion/conflict among staff over what was and was not allowed with FAS, extremely slow service, meal quality good but not marginally better than MDR, etc.  But mainly as I stated "We also tend to prefer to be more spontaneous with dining times and reserving dining times interferes with that."

I agree with your specialty dinning assessment.  I think on my next cruise, I will not take up that offer either.  As a Platinum member, I already get 2 meals.  That is enough for us.  Le Bistro is always a must go to. I actually prefer the buffet.  I can make my plate with the things I really like

( I can make a spectacular salad that I cannot get in any venue).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cru-Zin said:

Thanks!

The voucher that she receives for her status has different terms than the SDP....

"This benefit offers two dinners for two at a specialty restaurant for Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador guests."

...so the friend can bring one of you twice while the 3rd wheel can just buy a 2SDP. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

Just lucky, I guess.

Yep I guess, just lucky.  Our experiences and preferences just happen to be different.

15 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.  Just make some placeholder reservations and cancel/adjust as things play out.  I don't understand how a 5:30 reservation will interfere with "spontaneous."  What else is going to come along at that time to make you want to defer dinner?

If I make placeholder reservations, I feel as though I may prevent someone who prioritizes specialty dining from being able to get that time slot if I might cancel it late.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Actually, included dining should be the best deal, but I'm sure you disagree and that's ok too.

Considering your statement read, "meal quality good but not marginally better than MDR", I understand your position. However, if I had to guess, I would say about 98% of people would disagree with you.

19 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

Considering your statement read, "meal quality good but not marginally better than MDR", I understand your position. However, if I had to guess, I would say about 98% of people would disagree with you.

I know I disagree with the OP.  We’re Platinum and Sapphire.  The only time we’ve declined the meal package is on a seven night cruise when we are booked in the Haven.  We didn’t see a reason to pay for two more specialty dinners when we already get two with our status.  It would leave just three nights to enjoy the enjoy the Haven Restaurant.  When we’re not in the Haven, taking the FAS dinners is a no brainer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

9 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I know I disagree with the OP.  We’re Platinum and Sapphire.  The only time we’ve declined the meal package is on a seven night cruise when we are booked in the Haven.  We didn’t see a reason to pay for two more specialty dinners when we already get two with our status.  It would leave just three nights to enjoy the enjoy the Haven Restaurant.  When we’re not in the Haven, taking the FAS dinners is a no brainer.

Then consider me one of the two percent.  Thank you for your opposing viewpoints which I appreciate and accept.  However, please accept the viewpoint of someone who differs from you, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Then consider me one of the two percent.  Thank you for your opposing viewpoints which I appreciate and accept.  However, please accept the viewpoint of someone who differs from you, nothing more nothing less.

No problem being part of the 2%.  😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I was in Haven last month, I found the food choices for dinner service on the boring side.  Only so much surf and turf can be eaten ( 2 meals of that was enough). I kept thinking I really would prefer the buffet. The breakfast service in Haven was great.  Relaxing.

• Like 1