Current charge to buy drink package and tip amounts

MomC

It seems like every post I read these days talks about increasing prices for services.  Could someone who has cruised recently or is on the ship now please tell me the price to upgrade from the beer and wine complimentary package to the one that includes cocktails ( not the premium brands)?

Also, what is the current tipping fee for a concierge cabin?  Can I pay tips and upgrade the drink package before I get on the ship?

Thanks!

Good Morning

Just wondering ...this is what is showing on my account for the cost of the drink package:

PRESTIGE SELECT - WINE, BEER & SPIRITS

Unlimited premium spirits, champagne, wine and beer wherever and whenever you wish.

$699.50
($69.95 per guest, per day
Gratuity Included
)

Also, do they charge tax on the tips?  If so if you pay in cash you would avoid the taxes?  Seems unlikely but thought I would ask.  Thank you

11 minutes ago, keylimecake said:

Good Morning

Just wondering ...this is what is showing on my account for the cost of the drink package:

PRESTIGE SELECT - WINE, BEER & SPIRITS

Unlimited premium spirits, champagne, wine and beer wherever and whenever you wish.

$699.50
($69.95 per guest, per day
Gratuity Included
)

Also, do they charge tax on the tips?  If so if you pay in cash you would avoid the taxes?  Seems unlikely but thought I would ask.  Thank you

The Oceania website is, to say the least, not up to date and very misleading in this case. If you have Simply More, the cost to upgrade the drink package is $30/day, despite showing the old pre-SM pricing; in fact, IIRC it shows that you would still need to buy the basic drink package, even though it's included with SM. If you call Oceania, they will upgrade you on the phone at the $30/day rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forget the tax and tips if you have the drink package, it's included. Paying cash is not an option, you can charge it to your onboard account and then pay that with cash or a credit or debit card. 

If you don't have a drink package you will have 20% grats added to any drinks you buy. If you are in an area that charges a tax, i.e. Brazil, Spain a few others, then the appropriate tax would also be added. In Brazilian waters it's 25%, so you could have 45% added to the cost of your drink. If you have a few and are in these areas that charge a tax, then getting the package is probably a good idea. I know from recent experience that it's also charged between ports if you are leaving a Brazilian one and going to another Brazilian one. Be careful in the Euro region, I remember a few years ago when starting in Spain the tax was charged throughout the whole Euro area. Not sure what's happening there now. 

IMPORTANT. there is no tax or gratuity added if you booked under SM and are getting wine or beer at lunch or dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If one starts a cruise in a port that charges tax, like Spain in my case, do they charge tax on the $30/pp/day upgrade if you book it when boarding?

if I call in ahead of embarkation, does that issue get avoided?

Can I call in to Oceania if I used a TA, or do I HAVE to go through the TA?

9 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

The Oceania website is, to say the least, not up to date and very misleading in this case. If you have Simply More, the cost to upgrade the drink package is $30/day, despite showing the old pre-SM pricing; in fact, IIRC it shows that you would still need to buy the basic drink package, even though it's included with SM. If you call Oceania, they will upgrade you on the phone at the $30/day rate.

That is good to know!  We leave the 15th on a 21 day cruise and about choked at the $69.95 listed price pp to upgrade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growlers said:

I asked my TA this very question yesterday.  She told me to book it directly with O, either on-line, by phone, or on board.

2 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

That is good to know!  We leave the 15th on a 21 day cruise and about choked at the $69.95 listed price pp to upgrade. 

Also, keep in mind that both people in the stateroom, if applicable, are not required to upgrade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Traveling Fools said:

I asked my TA this very question yesterday.  She told me to book it directly with O, either on-line, by phone, or on board.

Some people wait a couple days after boarding to make sure they really want to upgrade. Can save as then you only pay for the day you decide to upgrade moving forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, growlers said:

If one starts a cruise in a port that charges tax, like Spain in my case, do they charge tax on the $30/pp/day upgrade if you book it when boarding?

if I call in ahead of embarkation, does that issue get avoided?

Officially they would have to charge the high VAT.   In reality most cruise lines hold the charge until the ship is outside territorial waters to run the charge. 

The exception to this is if there are no NON-EC ports on the cruise then VAT is charged on all purchases.   I've seen this happen on a non Oceania Cruise.    We were on a B2B and even the crew were making sure to purchase things they needed including internet minutes before the one with no Non-EC ports.

2 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Also, keep in mind that both people in the stateroom, if applicable, are not required to upgrade. 

That is really good to hear, should be less of a problem.  I can't drink for medical reasons and all lines I've sailed make exception for Medical or those in Recovery.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is really good to hear, should be less of a problem.  I can't drink for medical reasons and all lines I've sailed make exception for Medical or those in Recovery.

Azamara also allows individual passengers to upgrade. It’s nice that both lines treat their passengers as adults.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Officially they would have to charge the high VAT. ... The exception to this is if there are no NON-EC ports on the cruise then VAT is charged on all purchases....

Reminds me why I bring my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board to drink in my own cabin. Paid just E1.49 for a bottle of Italian red at a grocery store in Naples. The wine shops there would sell assorted bottles of wine at three bottles for just E5.00. Montenegrin beer on sale in Kotor grocery store for just E0.69 per 500 ml can. Great prices on brandy in Greece, Montenegro, and Spain. Stocked up on a lot of beer, Italian grappa, and wine at the start with great prices in a grocery store in Trieste.

• Like 1

I guess we all have our preferences and ways of enjoying our cruise.   Even though we get 6 bottles of Liquor or Beer in our Vista Suite,  I'm sure my husband will still pay the extra for a premium drink package so he have a drink in the various lounges instead of running back to the room for a drink.   Having not sailed Oceania before,  I'm holding off buy in advance and see if we just decided to spend most of our time in our suite.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess we all have our preferences and ways of enjoying our cruise.   Even though we get 6 bottles of Liquor or Beer in our Vista Suite,  I'm sure my husband will still pay the extra for a premium drink package so he have a drink in the various lounges instead of running back to the room for a drink.   Having not sailed Oceania before,  I'm holding off buy in advance and see if we just decided to spend most of our time in our suite.  

The 6 bottles are liters. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It’s 6 bottles in the upper suites plus beers etc. etc.

I think the issue is how ‘sociable’ you want to be. It might be far more fun having cocktails with other people, in say Martinis, or by the pool. On the other hand it might not!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

It’s 6 bottles in the upper suites plus beers etc. etc.

I think the issue is how ‘sociable’ you want to be. It might be far more fun having cocktails with other people, in say Martinis, or by the pool. On the other hand it might not!

I agree with you.... Since I'm not a drinker I enjoy being out an about in the evening and being sociable.   

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think the issue is how ‘sociable’ you want to be. It might be far more fun having cocktails with other people, in say Martinis, or by the pool. On the other hand it might not!   

I agree.  We take cruises not only for the itinerary or the ship but to meet other people.  We don't want to drink alone in our cabin but that is just us and I realize other people have different priorities. After 50 plus years we've heard enough of each other's stories.  I know we could save money by buying our own liquor and bringing it on board.  But we'd much rather spend a little money and have someone else fix our drinks and share them in a social setting.  Plus, cheap wine is cheap wine.  It doesn't matter what country you bought it in.  

I do pay the $30 a day for the drink upgrade and enjoy it very much.  My husband does not.  He's happy with the 2 for 1's at Happy Hour and would much rather spend money on a massage.  I don't want other people touching me naked so I'm glad to say no to that.

To each his own on what makes them happy.  But you don't need to drink that much to make the Prestige Package work for you.  Just be happy and have a good time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oceania does NOT care nor monitor how much beer, hard liquor or wine you bring on board. I brought all three on board in Trieste 10/30/23 as I did on Sirena (11/2022) and Riviera (12/2021). And brought back all three from various ports throughout our 20-night B2B.

In 2022 I remember people did look at my smiling & asked me questions as I pushed with my feet a 6-bottle canvas carrying bag in the "snake" that was the G-B line at Terminal J, that had 5 bottles of wine and one of vodka. Had 12 pack of beer in my suitcase. In Trieste we embarked, had lunch, then left. Brought back my haul of beer, hard liquor and wine from a grocery store later that afternoon when we came back.

As others have said, some people enjoy the social aspect of sharing a drink with others.  It is nice that O offers both options - you can bring your own alcohol on board and drink it in your cabin/on your verandah and you can head to any alcohol serving venue any time of the day and enjoy your drink while socializing with others.   We enjoy a mix of both.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iowananny said:

... We take cruises not only for the itinerary or the ship but to meet other people. ... Plus, cheap wine is cheap wine. It doesn't matter what country you bought it in....

My wife smokes so I get all the socialization I want in the 2 smoking areas. Weirdly, I get to know so many members of the crew in the smoking area up by Horizons. On Riviera last year the Russian captain was there all the time. Sometimes by himself, often with crew. Had a nice chat with him about our respective days in the military.

And the point of sampling inexpensive alcohol purchased locally is to test that theory: Is the cheapest Italian wine decently drinkable? Yep, delicious. Whether one bottle at E1.49 or three bottles assorted at E5.00. Same for so many beers and hard liquors. I could live on Greek, Serbian and Spanish brandy! Inexpensive doesn't have to mean low quality. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, basor said:

As others have said, some people enjoy the social aspect of sharing a drink with others.  It is nice that O offers both options - you can bring your own alcohol on board and drink it in your cabin/on your verandah and you can head to any alcohol serving venue any time of the day and enjoy your drink while socializing with others.   We enjoy a mix of both.

This is us also, especially now with SM. I find we really don't need to upgrade. Some champagne with lunch, maybe a beer. A drink in the room or balcony late afternoon, then maybe or maybe not the 241 at HH. Then a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. Works great for us. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3