Alaska-Encore or Bliss?

New to NCL. We are looking to book the Encore or Bliss for May 2025. Which ship do you prefer for the Alaska itinerary and why?Also, we would like to buy a spa pass for the week. How much is the pass and which ship has the better spa?

cant speak about the encore, but we were on the bliss to alaska july 2022.  since 2010 we have sailed most of the ncl fleet. bliss was awesome , especially the observation lounge.

we have never bothered to use the spa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TN Roz said:

New to NCL. We are looking to book the Encore or Bliss for May 2025. Which ship do you prefer for the Alaska itinerary and why? Also, we would like to buy a spa pass for the week. How much is the pass and which ship has the better spa?

We sail Alaska every year and have sailed on both the Encore and the Bliss to Alaska. 

The two ships are sisters (the Encore being a year younger). Both ships were purpose-built for sailing Alaska with a large (1/3 of Deck 15) Observation Lounge with spectacular forward facing views, heated outside dining areas, pools, and water features. Both ships are nearly identical. The Bliss has an outdoors adults-only sundeck,,, which is really not a selling point for Alaska. 

Both Thermal Suites are similar. Neither is significantly better than the other. This year, a week in Alaska will cost $339 versus about $300 in the Caribbean. 

The Encore spends all of the season sailing to Glacier Bay. The Bliss spends most of the season sailing to the Dawes Glacier (she does a few Glacier Bay cruises at the start and end of her season). We would book a trip that goes to Glacier Bay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TN Roz As others have said, the ships are nearly identical.  Don't worry about the ship, look closely at the itinerary and especially the time in ports.

If you do Bliss and Dawes Glacier, I strongly recommend the TRACY ARM FJORD & GLACIER EXPLORER excursion in Juneau.  A bit pricey but definitely the best way to see the glacier and the fjord leading up to it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Both ships are almost identical so maybe the route or ports can be a deciding factor if there is any difference in those.  The only differences the Encore and Bliss have is that Encore has Onda, a slightly larger race track, and a much better, bigger laser tag area in the Aft.  I think Bliss has a Spice H20.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I think Bliss has a Spice H20.

She does - 

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Bliss has an outdoors adults-only sundeck,,, which is really not a selling point for Alaska.

But I agree with this, it's not a huge selling point in Alaska.  Alaska would probably be the only place I'd sail on Encore, unless they remove the laser tag and put in Spice during her next dry dock.  But, knowing how NCL has been going they'd probably find a way to charge for it...

Posted (edited)

We're booked for May 18-25, 2025 on the Encore.  We wanted mid/late May this time, having done the same itinerary on the Pearl in Sept 2011.

Glacier Bay is number one reason.

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 2

I would agree with everyone else and say in this instance, choose based on itinerary. Last year we went on the Bliss, because it stopped in Sitka, where we have family.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were just comparing the 2 choices but for this May 2024. Really similar ships and pricing. Our factors were itinerary, Saturday vs Sunday and the Main Entertainment.

Encore- 1 sea day, 4 port days and 1 day glacier bay for cruising.

Visits Juneau (afternoon/evening), Skagway (full day), Ketchikan (morning) and Victoria (night)

Sunday to Sunday cruise (consider transportation to/from cruise, which is easier for you)

Entertainment- Choir of Man

Bliss- 1 sea day, 5 port days with 1/2 day Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier 

Visits Sitka (day), Juneau (morning), Icy Strait Point (morning/early afternoon), Ketchikan (morning) and Victoria (night)

Saturday to Saturday cruise (consider transportation to/from cruise, which is easier for you)

Entertainment-Jersey Boys

4 hours ago, Time4Vaca said:

We were just comparing the 2 choices but for this May 2024. Really similar ships and pricing. Our factors were itinerary, Saturday vs Sunday and the Main Entertainment.

Visits Juneau (afternoon/evening), Skagway (full day), Ketchikan (morning) and Victoria (night)

Sunday to Sunday cruise (consider transportation to/from cruise, which is easier for you)

Visits Sitka (day), Juneau (morning), Icy Strait Point (morning/early afternoon), Ketchikan (morning) and Victoria (night)

Saturday to Saturday cruise (consider transportation to/from cruise, which is easier for you)

Which one did you pick?

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Which one did you pick?

We decided on Bliss and booked the Thermal Suite. 

We have been on the Encore (Caribbean) so decided on a different boat. Plus cruised Glacier bay years ago.  We will drive to Seattle Friday so no flights to deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Time4Vaca said:

Great thing is you can't go wrong with either ship. We have spent quite a few nights on both. I really enjoy the Choir of Man but we do like the Jersey Boys a lot. We choose the Bliss this coming September for two Alaskan cruises because we liked the itinerary better. Also funny thing our first cruise on the Encore was its first cruise out of Miami in 2019  and I was wearing a Bliss hat and the hotel director stopped me and I talked with him and eventually he sent me a very nice Encore hat. 

We picked Encore as this is our first Alaska cruise and we were told not to miss Glacier Bay! Thank you all for the information! Very helpful!