Edge Alaska Sailing From Seattle —Scenery

I am looking for some input/thoughts on the viewing of scenery on the summer sailings out of Seattle.  I am fully aware of the limitations of the itinerary and do not need to engage in conversation that I picked the wrong one. I have previously sailed out of Vancouver and appreciate the benefits but for various reasons am not this time. Given the itinerary, what days/times (if any) might have the best Alaska and Northern Washington Coast (if that is visible at all as that was great on a previous Seattle to Vancouver train ride) scenery to view?  Trying to wrap my head around what to expect. If they will all stink I’m good with that too just trying to plan.  I read some posts over on the Alaska ports section of CC and just got annoyed as it was the typical garbage that people picked the wrong itinerary and I’m not asking for opinions on my personal itinerary choice.  Thank you in advance for any positive input on this matter as I’ve seen others post that they will be on the same itinerary this year and I’m sure some might like to know what to expect as well.

Thanks for the question! I’m going on that cruise (or a similar one) and I’d appreciate information, as well. Also, we are starboard side - can we sit on our veranda and get good views or should we be watching from public areas on the other side? 

1 minute ago, OrtonPark said:

Thanks for the question! I’m going on that cruise (or a similar one) and I’d appreciate information, as well. Also, we are starboard side - can we sit on our veranda and get good views or should we be watching from public areas on the other side? 

We are Starboard side too so good additional question.

1 minute ago, OrtonPark said:

It will honestly depend on what is going on around the ship. When I sailed RT from Seattle on HAL on basically the same itinerary, there was sceneery on both sides. BUT wildlife did not always cooperate and appear on "my" side - it almost felt like it was always on the other side regardless of if we were going north or south. LOL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It will honestly depend on what is going on around the ship. When I sailed RT from Seattle on HAL on basically the same itinerary, there was sceneery on both sides. BUT wildlife did not always cooperate and appear on "my" side - it almost felt like it was always on the other side regardless of if we were going north or south. LOL.

100%…that’s my luck too!  For me wildlife is a bonus — if it happens great if not okay as well!

• Like 1

Be outside and enjoy sail away - it was our third sail but this past August we had a clear day and saw Mt. Rainer and Mt. Baker for the first time.  While sailing we spent our time in open public areas or on deck.  

• Thanks 1

In 2021 we did a B2B pair out of Seattle after the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act passed.  That legislation allowed for a temporary bypass of the PVSA requirement so no stop in Victoria.

It was a rainy day when we left Seattle so we were in the Millennium equivalent of the Sky Lounge.  Initially there was some lovely scenery.  But we fairly quickly entered the open ocean.  I don't remember the timing, but (if my memory is correct) we were sharing a small table with another couple and they left to head down to the MDR for the first dinner seating just as we entered the open ocean.

The best areas of the ship for viewing are always on the upper decks where folks can move from port to starboard.

Last fall we spent 40 nights on the Edge.  I will be interested in opinions regarding this ship in Alaska.

22 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

In 2021 we did a B2B pair out of Seattle after the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act passed.  That legislation allowed for a temporary bypass of the PVSA requirement so no stop in Victoria.

It was a rainy day when we left Seattle so we were in the Millennium equivalent of the Sky Lounge.  Initially there was some lovely scenery.  But we fairly quickly entered the open ocean.  I don't remember the timing, but (if my memory is correct) we were sharing a small table with another couple and they left to head down to the MDR for the first dinner seating just as we entered the open ocean.

The best areas of the ship for viewing are always on the upper decks where folks can move from port to starboard.

Last fall we spent 40 nights on the Edge.  I will be interested in opinions regarding this ship in Alaska.

Thank you.  Good to know for the first day for sure…definitely in my experience it’s nice to move around the ship and see what you can view from different areas.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:12 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Kind of like how I always seem to be on the side of the campfire that is blowing smoke right in my face?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The best ships for viewing are the S-Class ships that have a Sky Lounge up front.  That is the best viewing location. Otherwise, head up to the highest decks and move from side to side while listening to the naturalist on the ship.

The best scenery will be in the fjords.

7 hours ago, keesar said:

The best ships for viewing are the S-Class ships that have a Sky Lounge up front.  That is the best viewing location. Otherwise, head up to the highest decks and move from side to side while listening to the naturalist on the ship.

The best scenery will be in the fjords.

At what time during the cruise would one be in the fjords? I may have slept through one too many geography classes…  🙂

The Edge should be leaving Pier 91 at 4 PM,  The more interesting scenery will be just as you leave Seattle.  If it is a clear day, you should be able to see Mt Rainier from the back of the ship as it begins to sail north.  As you sail north, you might see the snow covered Mt Baker to the northeast, about 45 minutes + into your voyage.  

In addition to the Edge sailing, the RCI Ovation OTS will be either minutes ahead of you, or maybe a few minutes behind you.

As you sail north, you will be nearer to the shoreline on the starboard (right) side.  If it is clear day, you will see mountain ranges on both sides of the ship.  To the west (port/left side) you will see the Olympics, and to the east (starboard/right) it will be the Cascade Mountain Range.  You may also see WA State ferries crossing Puget Sound.

Honestly, after the first hour or so of sailing out of Seattle, most folks are getting dressed for dinner, or discovering the various bars, as the scenery becomes less dramatic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The Edge should be leaving Pier 91 at 4 PM,  The more interesting scenery will be just as you leave Seattle.  If it is a clear day, you should be able to see Mt Rainier from the back of the ship as it begins to sail north.  As you sail north, you might see the snow covered Mt Baker to the northeast, about 45 minutes + into your voyage.  

In addition to the Edge sailing, the RCI Ovation OTS will be either minutes ahead of you, or maybe a few minutes behind you.

As you sail north, you will be nearer to the shoreline on the starboard (right) side.  If it is clear day, you will see mountain ranges on both sides of the ship.  To the west (port/left side) you will see the Olympics, and to the east (starboard/right) it will be the Cascade Mountain Range.  You may also see WA State ferries crossing Puget Sound.

Honestly, after the first hour or so of sailing out of Seattle, most folks are getting dressed for dinner, or discovering the various bars, as the scenery becomes less dramatic.

This is awesome info.  Exactly what I was looking for.  We will be eating late so have some time to enjoy the scenery as well as explore the ship if we get bored.  Thank you.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

At what time during the cruise would one be in the fjords? I may have slept through one too many geography classes…  🙂

The naturalist was speaking at 5 am. 

Posted (edited)

To put your mind at ease here are a few photos from our round trip out of Seattle in September 2021! IDK why upside down.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

Edited by TMLAalum