Reserve Class Dining. Can you sit at shared table

CU64

First time in a suite. We Iike shared table to have fun with others at dinner.

We are in a dilemma. We would like the special service in RC but afraid we would not get to chat or get

to know others. I have made reservation for MDR because of this but hate to not take advantage of RC.

Any experiences please share. Ty

Good Morning,

DH &I have done Reserve Collection three or four times on different ships. On all of them, there was a row of two top tables. People were always striking up conversations. You could always ask the maitre d if anyone else is interested in sharing. Hope this helps. Best wishes and travel safe.

The row of two-tops is the correct answer. If you go to dinner around the same time every night, you'll usually wind up in the same table (more or less) each night and sitting amongst the same people. The folks directly next to you may change day to day from one table to another as people arrive or don't arrive at various times. It's definitely a shared experience, and toward the end of the cruise, you end up with at least a familiarity with everyone in the section, and more if folks are talkative and social.

I wouldn't choose the MDR over RC because you want to socialize. RC can be a social experience if that's your jam.

I don't have many good pics of RC dining (it's weird to take pictures of people dining), but this snap is from the Baked Alaska parade they (still) do. You can see these two tops are pretty close and make for good crosstalk between tables. The pic is taken from another row of two-tops that extends along the back wall toward the windows.

image.thumb.png.808773a7ad3fb2cc6c02536693b9227b.png

We have been in reserve class before when they asked if we’d mind sharing.  We did so once but it wasn’t our preference.  
The key to whether or not you will get a sharing table is if others are willing to share.  

You can request a shared table in reserve dining. The problem is that it's likely that there will be no one else requesting a shared table at the same time, since there are not many people in reserve dining.

As stated before, they generally have a row of two tops that are close to each other. The people in the adjacent tables may or may not want to talk with others. Also they will be served at a different schedule with you.

Ask the hostess when you enter and they will try to accommodate you. Also mention your preferences to the head waiter. They will probably seat people who want to share at the row of adjacent two tops. If others also ask for a shared table, they may put you together. Since it is a small group in reserve dining, they will quickly learn the preferences of all ot the diners in that section.

• Like 1

You can ask however since the reserve class is a very small area compared to the MDR there is a good chance that no one else would opt for it at the time you dine. There are larger tables but they seem to be filled with groups who already know each other

To add to the above, which I totally agree with, since you're in Reserved Class they'll probably ask you to cancel your MDR reservation as it's not really needed. You don't have to, but they'll ask.  I had that happen when they started with this system several years ago.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

You can ask however since the reserve class is a very small area compared to the MDR there is a good chance that no one else would opt for it at the time you dine. There are larger tables but they seem to be filled with groups who already know each other

On a British Isles cruise a few years ago, Club Class had one table for eight. It was used by my family group of four couples traveling together. Since we were the only group of eight in Club Class, no one else used that table. it was great for us. We could show up anytime and go to our table, and we didn't have to coordinate to all arrive at the same time. I will try to arrange the same on an Alaska cruise this fall when we will have a family group of ten in Reserve Dining.

9 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

On a British Isles cruise a few years ago, Club Class had one table for eight. It was used by my family group of four couples traveling together. Since we were the only group of eight in Club Class, no one else used that table. it was great for us. We could show up anytime and go to our table, and we didn't have to coordinate to all arrive at the same time. I will try to arrange the same on an Alaska cruise this fall when we will have a family group of ten in Reserve Dining.

Now that would be worth it !

Posted (edited)

I usually cruise for more than a week.  Because of this, you will meet the same people in Reserve Class MDR who dine around the time you do.  You might be fortunate to sit near the same couple every night.  It really isn't a very large area.  I often have passing conversations with others although I prefer not to share a table with others.  I have met some very interesting passengers in passing. 

But I do understand your desire to share.  I met some wonderful friends that way.  You could always ask if they would be willing to share a table with you on another evening.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1